Options

The Avengers 1960s

Comments

• Options
    ZenithZenith Posts: 3,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I notice that they use the American spelling "color" at the beginning.

Andy2...my recollection is that The Avengers was a weekday programme. I don't recall it being shown at weekends.
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Andy2 wrote: »
    The Avengers was THE thing to watch on ITV on a Saturday (or was it Friday?) night when I were a lad. We have the box set of the Diana Rigg and Linda Thorsen eps and they are great entertainment. Good for spotting young actors who would later become household names.
    What surprised me on re-watching the Linda Thorsen series was just how good some of the stories were, better than many of the Rigg years. From my own memories from the time, I would have said the final series was pretty poor.

There's one episode coming up, The Superlative Seven which features Donald Sutherland, Brian Blessed and Charlotte Rampling before they became famous

Donald Sutherland appeared in a lot of British shows of the time before he really hit it big in films
  • Options
    HystericGlamourHystericGlamour Posts: 371
    Forum Member
    Zenith wrote: »
    I notice that they use the American spelling "color" at the beginning.

Andy2...my recollection is that The Avengers was a weekday programme. I don't recall it being shown at weekends.

Original UK air dates confirm it was originally broadcast on Fridays.
  • Options
    ZenithZenith Posts: 3,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Original UK air dates confirm it was originally broadcast on Fridays.
    I suppose the days changed over the different series & were possibly shown on differend days depending on your region.

I notice that the last episode was shown on a wednesday.
  • Options
    mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just caught up with the episodes HOW TO SUCCEED....AT MURDER, which managed to have its cake and eat it I think its fair to say and HONEY FOR THE PRINCE which was very entertaining esp the cricket match moment. On to series 5! :)
  • Options
    HystericGlamourHystericGlamour Posts: 371
    Forum Member
    So, will Friday evening's episode, The Winged Avenger, be repeated on Monday morning, or do you think we can expect another jump and a further skipped episode?
  • Options
    Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So, will Friday evening's episode, The Winged Avenger, be repeated on Monday morning, or do you think we can expect another jump and a further skipped episode?

It should be Monday morning as usual.

By the way, the reason for the other skipped episode, someone at Roobarbs asked True the question & it was down to a dodgy tape supplied.

Thing is, depending on when the corrected tape is supplied, will they insert the transmission tape in the middle of the colour run or wait until another run (assuming True have the rights for another run?) of the black & whites?

If True do have the rights for another run, then it ought to be a weekend transmission.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just watched From Venus with Love (decent SFX by the way) and it was being shown incorrectly - the ratio was right 4:3 but the image within the frame was stretched - had to use the zoom on my tv remote. Strange.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Winged Avenger was great fun - the borrow from Batman was inspired.
  • Options
    Ian_StevensIan_Stevens Posts: 70
    Forum Member
    Verence wrote: »
    It seems like episode 24 "A Sense of History" has been missed out

Can't think why.....

Steed and Emma investigate an assassination plot among a university's boisterously merry men.
    Appreciate your posts on "missing episodes", I thought I had missed recording them.
  • Options
    Ian_StevensIan_Stevens Posts: 70
    Forum Member
    I have found this website an excellent source for "The Avengers"

http://theavengers.tv/forever/welcome.htm
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Superlative Seven was star packed! Took a moment to recognise Charlotte Rampling and Brian Blessed but not Donald Sutherland.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    James Hayter who played the chief villain in yesterday's episode was for many years the voice of Mr Kipling's cakes

John Laurie aka Pvt Frazer from Dad's Army was in the episode as well and Clive Dunn should be in tonight's episode
  • Options
    Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    James Hayter who played the chief villain in yesterday's episode was for many years the voice of Mr Kipling's cakes

John Laurie aka Pvt Frazer from Dad's Army was in the episode as well and Clive Dunn should be in tonight's episode

Yootha Joyce, Trevor Bannister & Paul Eddington also in tonights episode, along with Patrick Newell making his second Emma Peel era appearance, before becoming 'Mother' in the Tara King era.
  • Options
    CampcrusaderCampcrusader Posts: 3,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am really enjoying seeing 'The Avengers' again. The shows still entertain, 50 years after they were made. Does anyone know if True will be showing the Tara King episodes?
  • Options
    solenoidsolenoid Posts: 15,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sky's EPG is giving incorrect descriptions for each episode. At least it is for me.
  • Options
    solenoidsolenoid Posts: 15,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The main villain was played by Christopher Lee.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am really enjoying seeing 'The Avengers' again. The shows still entertain, 50 years after they were made. Does anyone know if True will be showing the Tara King episodes?

I fired off an e-mail to them to find out (and make a suggestion for Dan Curtis shows to be screened if they can get them)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    solenoid wrote: »
    Sky's EPG is giving incorrect descriptions for each episode. At least it is for me.

And for me
    solenoid wrote: »
    The main villain was played by Christopher Lee.

That was Never Say Die which was shown some time last week. yesterday's episode was A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Station

The site Ian_stevens mentioned earlier is very handy

http://theavengers.tv/forever/welcome.htm
  • Options
    Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mike65 wrote: »
    I fired off an e-mail to them to find out (and make a suggestion for Dan Curtis shows to be screened if they can get them)

Did that include Dark Shadows? I would *love* to see it again. Stumbled across a pre-Barnabas Collins episode on the Sci-Fi channel at silly o'clock way back when and got completely hooked! Loved the fact that it was shown pretty much 'live', lots of mistakes so the lass from Eastenders shouldn't worry too much!, and it was mad as eff but so imaginative. Gothic soap, dwindling viewing figures, hey, lets introduce a ghost. Oh, that worked. Right, it's time for a vampire! :D
  • Options
    Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,495
    Forum Member

Arnold Ridley was in a recent episode as well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did that include Dark Shadows? I would *love* to see it again. Stumbled across a pre-Barnabas Collins episode on the Sci-Fi channel at silly o'clock way back when and got completely hooked! Loved the fact that it was shown pretty much 'live', lots of mistakes so the lass from Eastenders shouldn't worry too much!, and it was mad as eff but so imaginative. Gothic soap, dwindling viewing figures, hey, lets introduce a ghost. Oh, that worked. Right, it's time for a vampire! :D

I did mention Dark Shadows, I've never seen it but it always sounded intriguing, they haven't got back to me :(
  • Options
    Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,495
    Forum Member
    mike65 wrote: »
    Just watched From Venus with Love (decent SFX by the way) and it was being shown incorrectly - the ratio was right 4:3 but the image within the frame was stretched - had to use the zoom on my tv remote. Strange.

I think a lot of the episodes look a bit odd, as if the ratios aren't quite right.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Arnold Ridley was in a recent episode as well.

Quite of few of the Dad's Army cast appeared in The Avengers

Arthur Lowe will be in one of next week's episodes
    John Le Mesurier appeared in two b/w episodes (one Mrs Gale and one Mrs Peel)
    Aside from his appearance this week John Laurie appeared in three other episodes

Talfryn Thomas (Pvt Cheeseman) appeared in two episodes
  • Options
    Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Quite of few of the Dad's Army cast appeared in The Avengers

Arthur Lowe will be in one of next week's episodes
    John Le Mesurier appeared in two b/w episodes (one Mrs Gale and one Mrs Peel)
    Aside from his appearance this week John Laurie appeared in three other episodes

Talfryn Thomas (Pvt Cheeseman) appeared in two episodes

Fiery Fred! Possibly my favourite Avengers episode, 'Look (Stop Me....) '

Cleese, Cribbins, Jewel, etc. Sublime.