DVD question

Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,777
Forum Member
✭✭✭✭
I have a strange question that is not in the manufacturers technical listings for their players, so wondered if yours does this.

You are half way though a film and decide you want to finish watching it the next day.

You switch the player off. When you return to the DVD player the next day and switch it on does yours return to the exact spot in the film that you left it, or does it (annoyingly) start from the beginning again?

I know, Sharp, LG do this, and I think Sony as well (although not sure) Philips doesn't.

What about other makes? Does yours save the place?

I really need this function, but do not really want to buy Sharp or LG again.

Is there a name for this function?

Thank you for any help. :):)

Comments

• porkpieporkpie Posts: 2,548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The RESUME feature varies from one player to another.
    Most will return to the point where you were if you put the player in standby directly . If you press STOP some will forget . Most will forget if the disc is ejected.
    Pioneer players and the PS3 will usually remember the spot you got up to for up to the last 5 discs which is useful.

Bluray discs are a different ball game completely .

Whatever player you get , if you pause the disc , press standby and don't eject the disc you should find the disc will play from where you got up to on every player.
    This does not apply if you are on the menus
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,777
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    porkpie wrote: »
    The RESUME feature varies from one player to another.
    Most will return to the point where you were if you put the player in standby directly . If you press STOP some will forget . Most will forget if the disc is ejected.
    Pioneer players and the PS3 will usually remember the spot you got up to for up to the last 5 discs which is useful.

Whatever player you get , if you pause the disc , press standby and don't eject the disc you should find the disc will play from where you got up to on every player.

Thanks porkpie.

I never knew about the pause and then standby method. That's good to know, thank you. :)
  • bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes definitely the most annoying thing about Blu-ray in the way so many disks play from the start when you stop them.

They are not even consistent across box sets. I have the Harry Potter Blu-ray set and the first 5 disks behave excellently just like DVD however the last 3 all start from the beginning:mad:. Some like Lord of the Rings will even remember the place when you have played another disk in the meantime.
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    obviously it cannot be the disc per se - so is it

a) a disc setting that causes the player to save something - or
    b) the player doing it independently

either way, it means the player must have some memory area available in which to save the relevant stuff
  • bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    obviously it cannot be the disc per se - so is it

a) a disc setting that causes the player to save something - or
    b) the player doing it independently

either way, it means the player must have some memory area available in which to save the relevant stuff

On Blu-ray it is down to the disk itself whether the necessary information is stored or not. As you say the info is not stored on the disk which is read only but on the Blu-ray player itself.

It is different on DVD where the player's capabilities are the deciding factor.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

I tried this on the Philips player and it still went back to the start. :(

So far, LG, Sharp, possibly Sony do resume. Pioneer too.
  • porkpieporkpie Posts: 2,548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I tried this on the Philips player and it still went back to the start. :(

So far, LG, Sharp, possibly Sony do resume. Pioneer too.

Did you try putting it in standby without pausing or stopping?
    Just press standby while its still playing
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

No I didn't try that. I will definitely try it. The player is at a relatives house (OH loaned it) so can't try it until the weekend.

Thanks again porkpie.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

I tried it porkpie. No joy though ... it just went straight back to the beginning. :(

Bloody Philips. I'll have to get a Sony or perhaps an LG. Can't find any by Sharp (reasonably priced anyway)