Amber Holcomb - why is America ignoring her

VoodooChicVoodooChic Posts: 9,863
Forum Member
She has the total package and has a sublime voice - her and Candice are neck and neck for me

Comments

• Diceroll_81Diceroll_81 Posts: 904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've never been a fan to be honest. She's technically good (although her voice sounds strained at times) but her song choices are boring, and she's no different from the likes of Vonzel Solomon, Latoya London, Tamyra Grey and all the other 'young Whitney Houstons' that Randy loves so much every year.

Candice is in a different league for me, mainly beause she usually makes the effort to put her own spin on the songs.
  • VoodooChicVoodooChic Posts: 9,863
    Forum Member
    I've never been a fan to be honest. She's technically good (although her voice sounds strained at times) but her song choices are boring, and she's no different from the likes of Vonzel Solomon, Latoya London, Tamyra Grey and all the other 'young Whitney Houstons' that Randy loves so much every year.

Candice is in a different league for me, mainly beause she usually makes the effort to put her own spin on the songs.

I ADORE LaToya London - her album Love & Life from 2005 is still on regular rotation - I hope she releases more music.
    I did like Vonzell too - but after last weeks show Candice moved streets ahead of the other 4 girls,

2nd Amber
    3rd Kree - Very good but she's quite samey
    4th Angie - For some reason she annoys me
    5th Janelle - voice isn't strong enough
  • Magic_BeansMagic_Beans Posts: 387
    Forum Member
    I really like Amber but I agree with the above poster that she does't tend to put her own spin on songs. Even Janelle did at one point in 'You just keep me hanging on' which IMO was her best one. If Amber did that, maybe she would connect more with the audience and her personality would shine through.

Really the next two out will probably be Janelle and Amber but I would like Amber/Candice/Angie in the top 3.

Just hope she doesn't keep producing carbon copies of every song she chooses to sing, that's where she is falling down. Same with Kree, but she's got the public support.
  • WhyHelloWorldWhyHelloWorld Posts: 15,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it's because she is nowhere near as good as Candice, and Candice and her are likely to get votes from the same type of audience. Also, i don't think she is half as good as judges making out she is, which puts America off.
  • _NiallDEE__NiallDEE_ Posts: 13,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it's because she is nowhere near as good as Candice, and Candice and her are likely to get votes from the same type of audience. Also, i don't think she is half as good as judges making out she is, which puts America off.

This. I don't really think she's that great anyway.
  • SaturnSaturn Posts: 18,971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Amber is lacking star quality. Candice is much better vocally too.
  • Diceroll_81Diceroll_81 Posts: 904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Normally Jimmy would be the one to be the voice of reason in situations like these, but he seems transfixed with her too. Maybe it's the legs?
  • Scrufox86Scrufox86 Posts: 838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Agreed, she is not as good as the judges make out. Of all the girls it was her who was first in the bottom 2 and she has been there twice now. They appear to place Janelle as below all the others but that is down to unfair comparisons between her and Kree. And there isn't a comparison to make because Janelle is better. It was proven in the duet they did when Kree forgot the lyrics and it was Janelle who helped. The judges are very biased this year and for some reason are pushing others when they are not that great. Angie is by far miles ahead of everyone else but they seem to be ignoring her and trying to get votes for the others.

Randy saying Candice's 2nd song last week was the best idol performance ever was completely ridiculous. Ok she was alright (and at most good) but not as good as many other idol contestants and so that means she was not the best ever. And that Nickki is completely fake. Do not understand why she is a "judge" on the show. Even being so disrespectful by being late for the first live show says it all really.
  • VoodooChicVoodooChic Posts: 9,863
    Forum Member
    SO pleased for her not in the bottom 2. She deserved it after "What Are You Doing The Rest Of Your Life"
  • daniellehdanielleh Posts: 7,852
    Forum Member
    VoodooChic wrote: »
    SO pleased for her not in the bottom 2. She deserved it after "What Are You Doing The Rest Of Your Life"

Definitely, up there with Candice's 'Lovesong' as performance of the series for me.
  • Carlisle156Carlisle156 Posts: 23,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amber is awful when you then look at similar singer Candice. :)

Amber simply sings, and sounds very pitchy a lot of the time. Candice transforms songs and morphs them into her own style and her runs are incredible.
  • MaksonMakson Posts: 30,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amber is very unique. I adored her rather left field song choice for Beatles' week and she interpreted it beautifully.
    There is a real elegance about her:)

Candice has a good voice but nothing special. There seems to be a Candice or two in every season:sleep:
  • Scrufox86Scrufox86 Posts: 838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Makson wrote: »
    Amber is very unique. I adored her rather left field song choice for Beatles' week and she interpreted it beautifully.
    There is a real elegance about her:)

Candice has a good voice but nothing special. There seems to be a Candice or two in every season:sleep:

Angie to win. I think the only one of the other three to be anywhere half as close to how good Angie is, is Candice.

Amber has been by far the worst girl of the top ten from the start. So she is lucky to still be there longer than Janelle. And it is time for her to go. Kree is finally realising that she isn't as good as the judges have been saying and it is true but she is better than Amber so 3rd place for her is alright.
  • JauntyMontyJauntyMonty Posts: 377
    Forum Member
    They are all good singers so in the end it comes down to whether you like their tone and style. I can appreciate the vocal prowess of all of them but it doesn't mean I am going to buy their records.

Ambers voice is nice but not distinctive enough for my taste particularly when she selects so many songs I don't like (The Power Of Love!?!). I can forgive some duff song selections for someone with a tone I love but if you don't have a voice that emotionally grabs me then you have to choose songs that are going to get me on your side. She doesn't.
  • mimik1ukmimik1uk Posts: 46,701
    Forum Member
    its like shes doing her best to suck up to Mariah carey every week by either singing a Mariah song or at least something very similar in style

slightly off-topic but it always annoys me when they credit a song to someone who covered it rather than the original artist like they did last night when ryan said she was singing a celine dion song
  • JauntyMontyJauntyMonty Posts: 377
    Forum Member
    Yep. They even mentioned Laura Branigan because she did a version of it.

Mariah Carey thanked Nilsson for Without You... I don't think she mentioned Badfinger who originally recorded it (although I appreciate Nilssons is considered the definitive version and the one she covered).
  • LandisLandis Posts: 14,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have been making the case for Amber on this forum over the past few weeks, but the first high note in the Donna Summer song convinced me that she will finish 3rd or 4th. (I have no idea which as I watch at UK pace...)
  • SugarNSpiceSugarNSpice Posts: 1,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amber is a good singer but not brilliant, imo. I think her voice still needs to develop more. For me, Candice is the strongest vocal-wise out of all the remaining four, but I'm not sure if she has star quality. The others are reasonably good vocally but there's nothing distinctive or spectacular about them.
    On the whole, I think last year's line-up, especially the female singers were better vocally and performance-wise.