Are cinemas too expensive

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17
Forum Member
Whilst I regularly visit the cinema, ticket prices have definitely crept up over the past few years.

Are you allowed to take your own drinks in yet?

Comments

• naquadanaquada Posts: 1,213
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cineworld allow you to take your own food & drink. And if you go a lot, the unlimited card is excellent value for money. I've seen 63 movies since I got my card back in February:D
  • David WaineDavid Waine Posts: 3,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think you will find that prices generally have crept up over the past few years. Apart from blockbusters that have queues at the box office, cinemas tend to rely on their concessionary sales to make a profit - so, no, don't expect to be allowed to take your own drinks in any time soon.

On the other hand, how expensive is expensive? Compare the price of a cinema ticket with one for, say, an Elton John concert and decide for yourself which is better value for money.
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whilst I regularly visit the cinema, ticket prices have definitely crept up over the past few years.

Are you allowed to take your own drinks in yet?

:confused: I would have thought a regular cinema goer would be best placed to know the answer to this.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RebelScum wrote: »
    :confused: I would have thought a regular cinema goer would be best placed to know the answer to this.

Indeed. On the odd occasion I want something to eat in the cinema, i'll take my own food in, but it's rare because I go to the cinema to watch a film and not eat a 3 course meal.

But overall, I do think the cinema is getting too expensive. I had a choice today, pay £4 quid to go and see a film in a cinema an hour's bus ride away or pay £9.50 to see a film in a cinema that's a ten minute bus ride away.

The choice was quite easy :)
  • Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When the ticket price crept over £6 I stopped going.
    Along with the fact that the gap between a cinema release and its DVD in the shops is not much more than a 3 month period, if that nowadays.
  • -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    It all depends on where you go, if you go to the large franchise multiplexes then yeah they're quite expensive.
    My other local 3 screen cinema in Westgate On Sea is £2.50 mon-fri and £3.50 sat-sun and no over the top prices on snacks and drinks either.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    -GONZO- wrote: »
    It all depends on where you go, if you go to the large franchise multiplexes then yeah they're quite expensive.
    My other local 3 screen cinema in Westgate On Sea is £2.50 mon-fri and £3.50 sat-sun and no over the top prices on snacks and drinks either.

That's great if you have an indie cinema, I live in a town with two Cineworlds (one's about to open) and an Empire. No chance of low prices round here then...
  • MotthusMotthus Posts: 7,280
    Forum Member
    Ive had a Cineworld Unlimited Card for over a decade now and I go to the cinema most weekends during the day on Saturday or Sunday.Ive always brought in my own drink and never had a problem.Ive seen a lot of films over the years and I would have never been able to see that many films if it wasn't for my Unlimited Card as normal ticket prices are quite expensive!
  • bass55bass55 Posts: 18,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love going to the cinema but the prices are a joke these days. £21 for two of us to see the Hunger Games last weekend is pretty steep, and that's before you get a drink or food. At least half the time I will now wait for the DVD release, because the cinema prices continue to creep up yet they still offer the same shoddy service.
  • jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ours has signs saying you can't but they don't check.

To the point where they didn't bat an eyelid when we had Starbucks with us the last time.
  • Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As far as I'm concerned, they are. Used to go and see films twice a week every week from about 1990 to 2003/2004, then I gradually stopped going as often. Haven't been to see a film for two years now.

If I chose go and see a film at my local Odeon now it would cost me £9.30 admission on site for a standard film, plus about £4 in travel costs. £13.30 to see one film once, with the possibility of it getting ruined by noisy folk. Nah. Can't be bothered with that any more.

It isn't just the cost that's keeping me away, though. Seemingly increasingly noisy/uncaring audiences, ever longer advert/trailer sections, availability of good quality DVDs/Blu- rays, plus the fact that there just aren't all that many new films I'm fussed about seeing.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    naquada wrote: »
    Cineworld allow you to take your own food & drink. And if you go a lot, the unlimited card is excellent value for money. I've seen 63 movies since I got my card back in February:D

It still costs to get there for the taxi journey. So only value for money if a person drives or lives in a city.
  • BoselectaBoselecta Posts: 1,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I only go a few times a year so I go "super size" with Imax and those bigger/comfier seats.... think it's £15ish I pay? Seems fair price compared to the football matches I attend which range from £30 - £55.
  • JaymaJayma Posts: 6,418
    Forum Member
    bass55 wrote: »
    I love going to the cinema but the prices are a joke these days. £21 for two of us to see the Hunger Games last weekend is pretty steep, and that's before you get a drink or food. At least half the time I will now wait for the DVD release, because the cinema prices continue to creep up yet they still offer the same shoddy service.

Yes, it hits the wallet hard if we want to go as a family with our two teenaged minimum wage-but-not-student daughters. We take our own food some of the time, or just don't bother eating on other occasions.

I'm not surprised the prices have hiked with the rise in piracy/online viewing, but I do object to the fact that with the exception of blockbusters, I'm finding an increasing number of other films are now less than 1.5 hours in length. That's not a film, it's a TV programme!

As a result of the price increases, rather than going once or twice a week, I now go once a month or less.
  • JimothyDJimothyD Posts: 8,868
    Forum Member
    My cinema is around £20 for me and the wife before you even look at refreshments. That is too expensive for a 2 hour movie. Added to that, the amount of adverts they show before the feature starts, it's not good value for money.

However, I want to see cinemas survive, so am intrigued in what cinemas of the future will be like. With the huge array of on demand stuff you can get at home, and entire seasons of top class TV shows like Breaking Bad being available first on Netflix, the concept of having to go out to watch a brand new movie is already outdated.

I think cinemas are going to have to offer something new to continue to attract customers and fend off the inevitable attempt by companies like Sky to get the rights to show movies on TV first at some stage.

I don't agree with cinemas when they try to justify their prices by comparing them to football matches or concerts. Im not going to defend football ticket prices, but at least they are live events that you experience in person. Cinemas don't offer that, so isn't comparable.
  • JimothyDJimothyD Posts: 8,868
    Forum Member
    I'd love big cinema companies like Odeon and Vue to open smaller, neighbourhood cinemas, taking after the supermarket model of mini stores. They could be 2-3 screen theatres that people can walk to. I think that'd be really cool, and would hark back to the golden days of cinema.
  • darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Certain films are value for money where as other are not, the next film that I will be seeing at the cinema will be the new Hobbit film, yes it will probably cost me all my Odeon points or about £16 for the midnight screening, but as the film is over 2hrs in length in 3D on the IMAX screen then it is value for money imho. However I will take my own bottle of drink in. I will probably catch Dumb & Dumber To on a cheaper day if I don't use all of my points on the Hobbit.
  • Los_TributosLos_Tributos Posts: 2,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never had a problem taking a drink into a cinema. As long as you're not taking the mick and being blatant the staff aren't going to care. For the money they earn it's not worth the hassle of the aggro involved in challenging someone.
  • AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    The cinema is now more of a luxury which I'd have to seriously consider and plan ahead on - choosing a few films a year I'll potentially see at most. Going on a whim is next to being out of the question, and there's films I would have seen were it not for the extortionate prices of chain cinemas.

I live in a town with just one grotty Empire Cinema (formerly an Odeon). It isn't actually too expensive considering it's a part of London, but the price is reflective of the experience - torn up and broken chairs often covered in gum, often incompetent staff (not always but they have a quick turnover), stupid regulations on their lighting that genuinely ruin the film in some screens by causing a headache, often noticeably wonky projections, and though not necessarily a fault of the cinema the fact that the low price attracts groups of teens that are loud and messy (with few adults around to tell them to quieten down). We're getting two new cinemas in the next couple of years - a new Vue, which is likely to be much preferred but much more costly. And a luxury cinema in our shopping centre which is going to be even more expensive still!

Travelling about to other cinemas adds on travel costs of course, and you can only really travel out of London to avoid the prices going up even more.

From me, the cinema has probably lost potential money. I'd sooner go more often, therefore eventually spending more if the experience was better. Having a poor experience that is costly deters me from going again. I'd happily pay £5 each time and see, say, six or seven films a year so they'd be getting over £30 from me. Instead I'll likely only see two films a year, costing only £20 and that's likely split across two cinemas rather than the same one twice... all my friends think similarly so £10 here and there does add up as a major loss in the long run. They get no money from me for food either because it's just as ridiculously expensive.

There needs to be a radical overhaul, or people are just going to turn away more and more. Odeon are now charging £1 more for certain new releases for their first few weeks. Most chain cinemas now seem to be taking away the freedom of choosing your own seat, which is ridiculous and another thing likely to turn me away. Turning up early should grant you the privilege of having a better choice of seats, but now you have to constantly move for people trying to get in and out of their allocated aisles, other people ruining the starts of films by disputing ownership of seats which have been "taken".

Basically, the cinema isn't worth what it costs any more. I guess that's another way of saying it's too expensive - it certainly doesn't justify its cost, when in fact it used to be both cheaper and better!
  • towerstowers Posts: 12,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Considering how much you pay to eat out at a resturant - even somewhere common like Pizza Hut or your local curry house - I don't think cinema prices are that bad.

Poor behaviour from other cinema goers and 25 minutes worth of ads and trailers before the film even starts is a bigger issue for me.
  • AsarualimAsarualim Posts: 3,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    naquada wrote: »

Agreed. I've had my unlmited card for over a year now, got automatically upgraded to unlimited premium (free 3D movies, better discounts, etc.) and over the course of the first year I'd apparently saved £137.70. And that's not including the discounts I've had outside of the cinema in restaurants, etc. i tend to go most weekends, and while i've seen some movies I definitely wouldn't have paid for if i didn't have the card, I've seen some great ones this year too. No problem taking your own food in at my local cieworld either.

For the price of the card, you've only got to see 2 movies a month to get your money's worth.
  • AsarualimAsarualim Posts: 3,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    towers wrote: »
    Considering how much you pay to eat out at a resturant - even somewhere common like Pizza Hut or your local curry house - I don't think cinema prices are that bad.

Poor behaviour from other cinema goers and 25 minutes worth of ads and trailers before the film even starts is a bigger issue for me.

I tend to turn up 10-15 minutes after the start time to avoid the adverts and catch the trailers.:)
  • Misanthropy_83Misanthropy_83 Posts: 2,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The last film I saw at the cinema was a good day to die hard. It is expensive but I hardly go to the cinema being a horror fan and when I do I have to buy a drink and popcorn. Think there was a thing on cinemas on one of the consumer programmes on bbc 1 and the cinemas said that you are allowed to bring your food and drink in but no hot food
    I'd like to see someone trying to take in a pizza or a full 3 course dinner lol
    and think its odd that they have a bar (or at least mine does) but you aren't allowed to take your alcoholic drink into the film. Alcohol is a diuretic you'd be wanting to pee every 5 minutes
    infact I hate people who get up in the middle of the film and leave to go to the toilet, I think they should have toilets inside the cinema screens and they should show the film in the toilet so you don't miss much lol
  • David WaineDavid Waine Posts: 3,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I recommend looking up a few independent cinemas. One multiplex is often much the same as another, but an independent can provide a much better experience and shouldn't cost any more. My nearest independent is the Tyneside in Newcastle upon Tyne. It is comfortable, well-equipped, and its main auditorium is an art deco gem from the 1930s, complete with rising curtain. It has four screens (expandable to six) and also includes a bar, bistro, restaurant, art gallery and educational facilities. It doesn't attract the sort of spotty kid who sits with his legs over the back of the seat in front and spends the film texting his mates. They all go to the horrible Empire half a mile away. Independent cinemas are not as rare as you might think and well worth a try.
  • GARETH197901GARETH197901 Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i also subscribe to the Cineworld Unlimited Card,and for £16.40 its very reasonable indeed,in the past week ive seen 4 films,which at full price would have cost more than the monthly cost