Options

Where to buy tahini sauce

2-Pot Screamer2-Pot Screamer Posts: 34,238
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Does anyone know where I can buy ready-made tahini (tahina) sauce, as distinct from the quite widely available paste?

Comments

• Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Most of the big supermarkets should sell it. You may need to goto the main stores rather than local/express types.
    http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/tesco-price-comparison/Dips_And_Fillers/Cypressa_Tahini_300g.html

Otherwise try a deli or market.
  • Options
    2-Pot Screamer2-Pot Screamer Posts: 34,238
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks, but that's tahini paste - the base ingredient for making the sauce.

My local Tesco megastore only sells the paste too.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    oops, sorry. Isn't it just let down with water?

Just done a quick google and basically a sauce is salt, garlic, cayenne, lemon juice and water.

You can buy garic paste/puree so it doesn't seem that hard to knock one up yourself and to your own liking.
  • Options
    ErlangErlang Posts: 6,619
    Forum Member
    You can mix it in a blender, otherwise it is a lot of elbow grease.

There is a distinct knack to making it to your taste or memories of Cyprus/Greece.

Always stir the paste in the jar before using as it settles and the heavy paste at the bottom is like peanut butter and the oil is mostly at the top.

Once mixed the paste can be used to make the sauce.

The way I was shown steeped crushed garlic in lemon juice overnight or at least a few hours.

Personally I don't bother.

So crushed garlic to paste according to how garlicky you want it.

Then add olive oil and lemon juice.

Oil makes the paste easier to stir, lemon stiffens it.

I like mine Lemon and garlic strong.

then add the water, I do it in a thin trickle and keep blending until it emulsifies. It might split but you can usually recover it by adding a bit more oil and keep blending.

add water to get the consistency you want some like it thick some like it runny.
    Again personally I add a pinch of salt.

Nice to dip pittas chunks in, but very yummy with a nice thick huge pork chop with chips and salad.
  • Options
    doughnut8doughnut8 Posts: 2,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Erlang wrote: »
    You can mix it in a blender, otherwise it is a lot of elbow grease.

There is a distinct knack to making it to your taste or memories of Cyprus/Greece.

Always stir the paste in the jar before using as it settles and the heavy paste at the bottom is like peanut butter and the oil is mostly at the top.

Once mixed the paste can be used to make the sauce.

The way I was shown steeped crushed garlic in lemon juice overnight or at least a few hours.

Personally I don't bother.

So crushed garlic to paste according to how garlicky you want it.

Then add olive oil and lemon juice.

Oil makes the paste easier to stir, lemon stiffens it.

I like mine Lemon and garlic strong.

then add the water, I do it in a thin trickle and keep blending until it emulsifies. It might split but you can usually recover it by adding a bit more oil and keep blending.

add water to get the consistency you want some like it thick some like it runny.
    Again personally I add a pinch of salt.

Nice to dip pittas chunks in, but very yummy with a nice thick huge pork chop with chips and salad.

Wow thanks for this as I have not heard of this sauce before. :)
  • Options
    ErlangErlang Posts: 6,619
    Forum Member
    Here is a web site with the recipe.

http://kopiaste.org/2009/03/tahini-dip/

I miss these, Tahini Pies