Breastfeeding in a Swimming Pool

Comments

• Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Source?
    Says in the article she asked to do it poolside and was told no...

So she was offered an alternative but dug in her heels and turned it down. I know my rights etc.
  • Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pootmatoot wrote: »
    But you don't actually see the people urinating. If someone stood on the side of the pool pissing into it, even though it makes no practical difference, it would put people off swimming.

I realise this. I was just addressing the inital point that someone made about not wanting to swim somewhere where there's "a chance" of a bit of breastmilk floating around. If that really is the case, then that person shouldn't swim in any pool, anywhere, as far worse bodily fluids than breastmilk will be contained therein. That's all I meant.

Plus, as someone else pointed out earlier, any woman who's child is breastfed may leak a bit when they aren't actually feeding, and that may possibly happen in a pool.
  • muntamunta Posts: 18,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Or alternatively, "baby's hungry I'll feed him/her" full stop.

Maybe that's the problem?
    Feeding on demand is not a big deal to the mother/baby but it is to other people.

Feeding on demand doesn't mean instantly though. One wouldn't expect to feed on demand while driving ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Andy2 wrote: »
    So she was offered an alternative but dug in her heels and turned it down. I know my rights etc.

She asked if she could feed at the poolside instead and was told no.

(Allegedly, I grant you)
  • handymelonhandymelon Posts: 15,154
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't see why she didn't feed baby *before* going into the water.

It does seem to me that some people think the whole world should conform to their personal routines and practices.

If she was there to let her baby swim then she shouldn't be feeding him in the pool and getting in other people's way when they're trying to swim or play
    If she was supposed to be supervising other children she shouldn't be breastfeeding at the same time

Since I became a Mum four year ago I've had to learn to be organised and do stuff before we leave the house. It comes into the same category as carrying extra clothes around and always having a bottle of water and a banana or a bag of crisps handy - you need to learn to be prepared for whatever crops up, and it's not the staff's fault if breastfeeding in the pool is against regs.

It's all me, me, me with some folk and it properly gets on my wick!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    handymelon wrote: »

Maybe the baby didn't need feeding *before* she went in the water?
  • Speak-SoftlySpeak-Softly Posts: 24,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    munta wrote: »
    Feeding on demand doesn't mean instantly though. One wouldn't expect to feed on demand while driving ;)

Nope, you're right.

Just meant it more along the lines of "baby's hungry/thirsty so I'll feed him/her".
  • PrincessEssexPrincessEssex Posts: 1,414
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It does seem to me that some people think the whole world should conform to their personal routines and practices.

If she was there to let her baby swim then she shouldn't be feeding him in the pool and getting in other people's way when they're trying to swim or play
    If she was supposed to be supervising other children she shouldn't be breastfeeding at the same time

Since I became a Mum four year ago I've had to learn to be organised and do stuff before we leave the house. It comes into the same category as carrying extra clothes around and always having a bottle of water and a banana or a bag of crisps handy - you need to learn to be prepared for whatever crops up, and it's not the staff's fault if breastfeeding in the pool is against regs.

BIB 1) This completely seems to happen. As someone mentioned it never used to be so public so not sure why/how it all changed to suit individuals
    BIB 2) I wondered this. What if a kid knocked into her or kicked her accidentally during horseplay? Surely there is a bit of an issue there?
  • Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She asked if she could feed at the poolside instead and was told no.

(Allegedly, I grant you)

But she *was* told she could use the changing room.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    munta wrote: »

What about operating heavy machinery?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The baby might not have been hungry, just thirsty.
    You do know that breast milk satisfies both and has different consistences depending on the baby's needs.

How many people get out of the swimming pool feeling really, really thirsty. I know I always do.
  • PootmatootPootmatoot Posts: 15,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How does this put somebody off swimming?

Like HughJhoobs I can agree it wasn't the best place, but can't understand the revulsion that's coming across.

As someone who's raised several babies, feeding a baby of breast feeding age usually involved lots of vomity milk-splutter, especially if they've been active.

I don't really want that floating on the pool.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Never Nude wrote: »

I think it is ok for them to stay home and do the laundry. :p
  • muntamunta Posts: 18,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Never Nude wrote: »

I would imagine that's also not a good idea :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Andy2 wrote: »
    But she *was* told she could use the changing room.

There we begin the circular argument. Why should she HAVE to go to the changing room? By law she is allowed to feed in public, that is beyond question.

Now (as I've already said) I can certainly see the reasons not to allow someone to breastfeed in a swimming pool. I think even the most ardent pro-breast feeders would have to exercise some common sense on this one - though the woman in the story doesn't agree.

However, I can't see a reason for them to refuse to allow her to do it poolside, provided she wasn't obstructing anyone or endangering anyone's safety (Granted, I don't know the setup of the pool in question - whether there was a chair/bench she could sit etc).
  • handymelonhandymelon Posts: 15,154
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe the baby didn't need feeding *before* she went in the water?

As an adoptive Mum I missed out on tiny-baby-hood, and I know people feed on demand, but surely after a few months a Mum would have an idea of when their baby was usually hungry, and could have timed the trip appropriately?

Or teamed up with another Mum so that if she was watching over other children there was someone else there to keep an eye on the kids if baby started grizzling?

It just feels to me like someone who wants the world to fit round them and not have to consider other people at all...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There we begin the circular argument. Why should she HAVE to go to the changing room? By law she is allowed to feed in public, that is beyond question..

By law you're allowed to run and jump, but you can't at the poolside.

The law is irrelevant to the conditions of entry into a private pool.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As someone who's raised several babies, feeding a baby of breast feeding age usually involved lots of vomity milk-splutter, especially if they've been active.

I don't really want that floating on the pool.

What does that even mean?

Any where between birth and what age?
  • KathySparkKathySpark Posts: 2,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On my lunch break so cant read the full thread. I think that a woman should be allowed to breastfeed her baby anywhere a bottle fed baby would be fed, which included most places, but not a swimming pool.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What does that even mean?

Any where between birth and what age?

It means that babies in the traditional breast-feeding age range tend to do a lot of regurgitation and burp-vomiting, whereas babies that are still breast feed outside the traditional age range don't.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As an adoptive Mum I missed out on tiny-baby-hood, and I know people feed on demand, but surely after a few months a Mum would have an idea of when their baby was usually hungry, and could have timed the trip appropriately?

Or teamed up with another Mum so that if she was watching over other children there was someone else there to keep an eye on the kids if baby started grizzling?

It just feels to me like someone who wants the world to fit round them and not have to consider other people at all...

Depends entirely on the circumstances.

The thing about her being at the pool is that the baby would have in all likelihood used masses of energy. And also there's the issue of thirst.

Just like taking a baby out in the fresh air and they sleep heavily for hours missing feed times.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It means that babies in the traditional breast-feeding age range tend to do a lot of regurgitation and burp-vomiting, whereas babies that are still breast feed outside the traditional age range don't.

What's the traditional age range?
  • Squealer_MahonySquealer_Mahony Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member

What's the time frame of the burp vomitting?
    Straight after feed? 1 minute? Up to five minutes? Beyond?
    Baby could be back in the pool and spit up
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What's the traditional age range?

Usually around 6 months to a year.

I'm not sure what you're arguing about? Are you saying that babies don't regurgitate and burp-vomit during most of that time?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    By law you're allowed to run and jump, but you can't at the poolside.

The law is irrelevant to the conditions of entry into a private pool.

Hmmm, it's a difficult one. I'm not saying I categorically disagree with this point you've made because I think common sense needs to be applied, but I'm not sure about the application of the law here. As far as I was aware, the law allows breastfeeding in any areas used by the public - cafes, restaurants....not sure about the side of a pool really!

To use your example, I think most people can see the reason for banning someone running and jumping by a poolside as it's a question of safety. But breast feeding isn't.