Options

Grandparents.

sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I see this elsewhere and thought it was really interesting.

How much of a part do your child's grandparents play in their life.
Are they easy going, over powering. not there enough or there to much

Do you love them or actively dislike them?

I play a big part in two of my grand children's lives but not much in the other three as there is a long distance between us.
I am always invited to everything and feel very loved by them all.

But I do know some grandparents who feel they have to accept what they are given and dont object for fear that they will be cut out of their grand children's life :(

Then the other side who are very pushy and dont seem to have a clue that they could end up not seeing their grandchildren anymore :o

Did you have any problems how did you solve them?

What part did your own grandparents play in your life?
Mine were OK but not a lot of loving went on for me in that respect.

Comments

• Options
    CrazyLoopCrazyLoop Posts: 31,148
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I only ever had my two Nans as my Granddad (on my Dad's side) died before I was 2 and whilst the other granddad is alive, my Mum & aunty never want anything to do with him and nor do I.

Until my Nan died last year, I spent nearly every single Saturday seeing her unless I was ill, we were on holiday or something else :p Plus a few other days/nights too :) My other Nan I haven't seen since Boxing Day 2012 and don't spend much time with her due to distance and other stuff. But we saw each other a lot more when I was younger but it was hard due to distance, esp when we lived down south!
  • Options
    TagletTaglet Posts: 20,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I only have one grandson, so far, so I am no expert but I cant say I have had any of the worries that you mention. My daughter and her husband live in the same village....they both work full time and both work shifts so I am a regular part of his life, looking after him on weekends or picking him up from nursery.

He is a part of my life.

I only really knew one of my grandparents, both my fathers parents died young and on my mother's side my granddad also died young so I just had her mother. We lived away for much of my childhood and spent 5 years in another country so we werent close. I always found her to be a very cold critical woman so I try to be the opposite.
  • Options
    shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member
    My 12 year old loves his paternal grandparents,especially his grandma

He hasn't met my mum (I have only seen her once since he was born, I sought her out. She's a dirty smelly alcoholic) and he rarely sees my dad (I don't want to explain how grandad lives with his wife/sister to him)

Mixed bag really!
  • Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Both my Nan's died when I was young (I was 7 and 12) but I had both my granddad's until I was in my 20's.

I have such fond memories of both of them and I even lived with one Granddad for a few months when I was 13 (my Nan had just died, he lived opposite my parents so I just gradually moved in LOL)

Sadly I don't remember my Nan's much but they are always spoken about very fondly.

OH and I are not married but we have a little one. We live about 90 seconds from his parents and 3 minutes from my parents so my child sees a lot of his grandparents [and his numerous aunts and uncles - my sister actually looks after him week days]

I've never felt anything other than love and support from my folks and my in-laws. MIL is a nurse and a mother of 6 yet she isn't at all pushy or domineering. I genuinely get along with her and there has never been a cross word. Same with my Mum.

Maybe I am lucky but as a family there are just never massive arguments / issues. Which is pretty amazing as we both have big families (my immediate family including nieces and nephews is 15 and OH's is 12)
  • Options
    elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    I miss my grandparents every day and I so wish they could be here to see me get married because they were the only ones who had faith that I would one day make something of my life. I still remember my Grandfather telling my Dad that I "will surprise them one day". I remember I thought of what my grandfather had said when I was waiting to go up during my graduation ceremony. I think they would be very proud even if I do say so myself. It's going to be bittersweet when I get married in a few weeks. Also my grandmother really liked my partner she thought he was ever so polite!

We only ever saw them in the holiday's but I still remember little things like how we weren't allowed in the kitchen whilst my grandmother was cooking as it put her off, how she would make us wash our "paws" before eating, how my grandfather always had a cupboard full of crisps and fizzy drinks and a tin of chocolate biscuits that he would get sent from the brewery he used to work for before he retired.

I wasn't close to my maternal grandmother as my Mum wasn't close to her so we didn't really see her and she was quite strict. She also died when I was 9 and I never knew my maternal grandfather as he died when my Mum was a teenager.

My children when I have them are going to be close to their grandparents because they are going to be looked after by them when I go back to work. And my parents are looking forward to having grandchildren.
  • Options
    StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My parents can't draw a line between being parents and grandparents and constantly undermined me. Mother in particular would then become abusive if I attempted to limit their control such as asking the school to only communicate with me/ex-partner and not her. Certainly 'pushy' as you'd say. During one row my mother accused me of treating her as 'just' a grandparent. I'm still not entirely sure what she saw her relationship with my children as. Consequently - and because of some other atrocious behaviour - they aren't part of our lives anymore.

The ex's parents are in contrast, really nice.
  • Options
    shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My mum's dad died three months before I was born, and my dad's mum died when I was two. My mum's mum died when I was nine, and my dad's dad died when I was 16.

I don't remember my fraternal grandmother, I only know what I know of her from pictures and a couple of home videos we fortunately have. My other grandmother, and my fraternal grandad played very active parts in my life though. They were first port of call if my parents needed a baby sitter - they usually did it together as they got on well. I think they bonded over both becoming widows not too long before/after eachother. We took my grandad out for Sunday lunch every weekend. My mum's family had always been a lot closer than my dad's family, so we'd regularly have get togethers with her two brothers, and their families.

I was ridiculously close to both of them, as close as you can be at that age, and was devestated when they both died. My nan had been ill before I was born - throat cancer, which caused her to have her voicebox removed - so she spoke with a crackly voice. (I actually used to think that all older people spoke like that, and my grandad was special because he still had a normal voice!!) She got secondary lung cancer though. My grandad has been as fit as a fiddle his whole life - made it through WWII in one piece - but the evil bugger that is Alzheimer's got him. To see him so frail at the end and not knowing who we were was heart-breaking.

I absolutely adored them both and miss them immensley. When my grandad died, it wasn't a shock as I knew he was very ill, but I wasn't aware how ill my nan was, so when she died, it was a huge shock. I've never told my mum, but I really hate that she didn't tell me how ill she was. She also didn't want me and my brother to go to her funeral as she said we were too young, and I hate the fact that I didn't really get to say goodbye.
  • Options
    Random42Random42 Posts: 2,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I lost my Grandad ( on my dads side ) when I was 18.
    I know everyone says they have/had the best grandparents, but I really did/have. He was a truly amazing man who I utterly adored. I honestly can't find words that are good enough to express the one in a billion, beautiful being that he was. He was very much a part of my everyday life. When he died part of me went too.

My nan ( on my dads side ) is now coming up to 87 and she's wonderful. I love her to bits. She's always been part of my life. Every inch the lady, she's got a sharp wit and vibrant personality. I love her dearly.

She's currently in hospital being treated for blood clots on the lungs. Hate to think of her in hospital in pain. Desperately want her to get better.

Unfortunately I didn't have anywhere near such a close relationship with my nan on my mums side. She was incapable of showing affection and had a spiteful tongue which she used to cause as much upset as she possibly could to the rest of the family.
    I don't know what made such a bitter woman, she wasn't given to sharing anything about herself with others.
    But I like to think that underneath it all she was a good person.
  • Options
    kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    I have no grandparents left. I miss my paternal granddad though who died in 2011, he was a remarkable man.

My maternal granddad who died in 1995 was a signaller in WW2 and, topically, took part in the assault on Gold beach during the D-Day landings, for which he was awarded the Croix de Guerre.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some very lovely and sad posts on this.

I forgot to say about my own experience when mine were little.
    My MIL said she had had her children and wasn't going to be looking after mine.
    I thought that was a bit harsh but nothing I could do. She was a lovely lady and MIL and my children adored her.

My own mum was abusive to me and my siblings so although I dont think she would have hurt my children, she was not really aware of hygiene or safety, so she was out as a minder.
    My husband said if his mum could not look after them, then we dont go out.. So we never did go out and never had "us" time.

So I have tried to make sure my children never felt the way I did when mine were little. I help out in anyway I can, but being a normal human being, I do sometimes feel that I got the bad end of the deal both times. Not that I dont love and adore my kids and grand kids as they are my life. But sometimes I do wish I had more "me" time than I do.

But feel very selfish when I think it.
  • Options
    eluf38eluf38 Posts: 4,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My Nan was our unofficial childminder, so sister and I saw her every day until the age of 14 - and even after that I'd see her at least once a week. We had a very special bond, and it crushed me when she died in 2008. She was as big an influence on me as my own mother; a moderating influence who loved me unconditionally for who I was.

My own Mum is a wonderful grandmother to my nieces and nephews and I know she'll be a huge support when my own baby is born later this year. She has a tendency to insist things are done 'her way' (which is always the 'right way') but with me being a few years older than my sister (and with husband being less willing to be bossed about!) I think she's realised that I can't be dictated to all the time. I recently had a difficult period in my pregnancy and she was a massive support when I was falling to pieces. I know she'll be a wonderful grandparent, as will my Dad and husband's Dad. We're lucky to have them in our lives.
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,310
    Forum Member
    Mine are dead but i saw them very regularly growing up and they were wonderful people.
  • Options
    tigragirltigragirl Posts: 13,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My mum and dad have played a huge part in my sons life. They took him on days out, he treated their home the same as his own. he loved to sleep over, to the point where he would stay over for a week at a time.
    They took an active part in His school life, getting involved in family projects the school ran, going to plays and sports days.

As he got older and started going to nightclubs, they lived much closer to Town than us so his Grandad would pick him up from the nightclub, rather than him wait for a taxi.
    His friends stayed over at his grandparents sometimes too.

When he came out to his grandparents, they were very supportive , so much so that having met someone he asked if he could stay over after they had been to a nightclub and they agreed and welcomed the guy into their home.
    He then brought him home to us and he stayed with us for a week.

My son is very respectful of his grandparents and I would say he is more frightened of his grandma than he is of me......if he got I to trouble at school, which was rare, the first thing he would say is " don't tell grandma"

His other grandparents........well that's a different story, they hardly know him
  • Options
    momma11momma11 Posts: 3,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My paternal Grandad ( Papa ) died when my Dad was 11 years old , his mother died when I was 5 years old , I hardly remember her.
    My Mother's parents played a huge part in our lives , I loved my Granny and Papa to bits,they both died when I was in my early Thirties , I still miss them.
    My Parents were very loving Grandparents , even though they had to be so at a distance ( my husband was in the army and we spent a lot of my children's lives abroad )
    We have 6 grandchildren ( soon to be 7 ) and we love them all dearly , and spend a lot of time with them.
    We also have custody of 2 grandsons , both of whom are disabled .
    We are constantly tired , emotional and the house is forever untidy.
    They are the light of our lives and couldn't imagine being without them .
  • Options
    Mitten KittenMitten Kitten Posts: 1,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All mine are gone now. I hardly remember my paternal Grandfather. He died when I was about 3 and all I remember is hiding my teddy behind his back. My paternal Grandmother was fairly Victorian and strict, but I wish I had thought to have talked to her more. She had a fascinating life. My maternal grandparents were my favourites. They lived by the sea and we used to holiday with them. 'Lemonade' was orange squash, 'chocolate biscuits' were wafers, but we didn't really care. They were lots of fun and we laughed a lot together. My Granddad died a few years ago, but my Grandma made it to 100. Before she died, I had a chance to ask her about things in her life. She knew it wasn't particularly exciting or rich in money, but she knew she had a good one. I found out some fascinating things about her and the family. I urge anyone with grandparents left to talk to them. Don't let moments in history slip away.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My sister put our dad's name in her son's middle name, and she's just had a daughter this year and her boyfriend's mum was quite adamant that her name be my niece's middle name. Kind of sad really.
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Our kids visit their great-grandmother (my grandmother) almost every day. Her house is on the route between home and their school. They sometimes go over during weekends. They chat and play video games with her, help with chores and tasks, learn cooking from her, and sometimes do the shopping. Now and then, they stay overnight when we both have to go on work trips. She's in her late 80s, so I dread the day when her time to depart comes. I know it'll affect them deeply.

They video-chat with their grandparents (nine of them - my parents and their spouses, and husband's parents and their spouses, and Dad's ex-girlfriend, who's the mother of my half-siblings) and some of their cousins on Skype almost every week. I love technology. :D

Youngest (9) wasn't keen on my dad, who can be quite taciturn, but once he discovered Dad's odd sense of humour, they become very close. Over Skype, they share jokes like this one: "There's a giraffe in a fridge and there's an elephant that wants to be in the fridge. What should you do? Take the giraffe out and put the elephant in the fridge." For some reason, they find this utterly hilarious. Sometimes they enjoy having arguments about all sorts.
  • Options
    HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was told all my grandparents died before I was born. But then one day in town, my dad suddenly crossed the street to talk to this man. I asked my mum who it was and she said it was my grandad. I don't think I was even sure what a grandad was - a dad's dad. But the upshot was, they made up from an argument they'd had long before I was born, and we went round there and over the next couple of years got very close to my grandad. (All my other grandparents had died before I was born). He was a larger than life character; almost the total opposite of my dad - an extrovert, and had a glamorous (to us) exciting life, shark fishing and stuff. He died only a couple of years - maybe even just 18 months - after we'd got to know him. He died in our house, and my mum and dad nursed him at home as he refused to die in hospital.

I loved him and missed him awfully when he was gone - for years after, if we passed someone on the street who looked like him, I thought it was him (I was only 9 when he died).

I'd love to know more about my grandparents. My mother also died when I was a kid so I never got to learn much about her parents and only have three or four photos of them.

My own kids are all sons and so I do wonder about how involved we might ever get in their kids' lives - as so many relationships end in divorce/split up now, and it seems the woman has all the power there. I have friends who hardly see their grandkids. Seems sad to me. I only had a grandparent for 18 mths or so, but it was lovely. That said I was very close to my great aunts who were just like grandmas to me, and to my godfather who happened to be my grandad's best friend.
  • Options
    BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Never really had any. On my father's side they were both dead long before I was born, on my mom's side, her mother died when I was a toddler and her father lived a couple of thousand miles away, I saw him twice in my life before he died when I was 15/16. I must admit I have a little twinge of jealousy when I hear people talk fondly of their memories of growing up around their grandparents.

Before moving to the UK, my kids had good relationships with both sets of their grandparents, probably closer with my mom and step-dad than with my ex's though. I've only seen my mom twice in the five years that I've been in the UK, so I know my daughter misses being near her Gramma, but we talk on the phone about once a week. My daughter doesn't keep in contact much with her other grandparents on her dad's side, we exchange xmas cards but that's about it. My husband's mum lives in Scotland so we don't see her very often either as we don't own a vehicle and don't have money to travel.
  • Options
    Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    I grew up knowing all my grandparents.

My dads parents lived just down the road so were the babysitters when needed. I didnt really get on with them because they were old fashioned, quite strict and didnt like anyone who wasnt a local ie my mum. When my mum started work we had to stay with them for the whole school holidays which i hated. We werent allowed out to play with our friends and had to stay in. We couldnt watch tv or make any noise so it was boring. When we had to sleep overnight we were in bed at 6 (could hear kids outside playing) and up at 6:30!

My dads dad was the first to die and i remember crying, but not because he died, but because my family were upset. I never felt any real love from them so i didnt mourn him. I do feel guilty about that.

My other grandparents lived miles away and i adored them. Seeing them was a treat, and visiting them was so rare that it was more exciting than xmas! They were typical grandparents who would play with you, read to you etc and totally laid back. When i was a teen i had a rough time with my parents drinking heavily and my nan became more of a mum than my mum. She offered me the chance to live with her but i wouldnt because my younger sister didnt want to and i didnt want to leave her alone. I told my nan everything that you would usually tell your mum, like crushes etc. she was the one i turned to for help when i got my first period and i think my mum was resentful at the time.

Sadly my nan died a year and a bit ago and it really was awful. She was diagnosed with cancer which was hard to hear. The day of her first chemo treatment she collapsed and was diagnosed with a perforated bowel which was inoperable. She died about 5 days later.

She had said when she was well that if she ever got ill she would allow me to see her but no other grandkids (im oldest). When she was in hospital she changed her mind and said she didnt want any of us to see her because she was so ill. I chose not to go and regret it every day.

Sadly my grandad now has dementia so its a bit of a rollercoaster at times. I feel torn because i wouldnt wish illness or death on anyone but it feels so cruel that the grandparents i adored had to suffer painful deaths and dementia, yet the ones i didnt bond with either passed away painlessly or are alive and well. I didnt mean that to sound harsh but it just seems like because i loved them so much theyve been cruely taken away.
  • Options
    CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I never really had grandparents. Two were dead before I was born, one died when I was two and the last when I was 8. I did know all my husbands grandparents and at 50 he still has a grandmother.

My kids only have one set of grandparents left who they see as often as they can as they live about 60 miles away. My older kids knew my parents bit my 15 year old didn't as both my parents died before he was born.
  • Options
    grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,356
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My grand daughter has 1 set of grandparents (wife and I) who are heavily involved with her. See her about 3 or 4 times a week - take her to school, to lunches, to sports - and we are all going on a family holiday soon.

Her other grandmother lives about 40 miles away and makes every effort to see her once a month - even though it involves a 3 hour bus ride each way (she doesn't drive).

Other grandfather and step-grandmother see her about once or twice a year but live only 10 miles away. They have a car, and are not hard up for money (they can even get a bus door to door on their free bus pass!). They rarely buy her a birthday present but do buy her a little something at Christmas. They don't give her any money to spend on holiday but maybe - just maybe - they will go for a walk round the estate where grand-daughter lives for 20 minutes.

Little 'un has never had a sleep over at her other grandparents, but regularly stays with us.

But I'm glad to say that she shows her love to all equally.
  • Options
    jabegyjabegy Posts: 6,201
    Forum Member
    I only had a grandma on my dads side, granddad died when I was quite young. My mum was a yorkshire woman so all her family were up north, although her mum had died when my mum was a little girl. I couldn't say I was all that close to my grandma even though we only lived round the corner.

I on the other hand look after my two grandsons, two afternoons a week, and I feel very loved by them, the oldest one, he's 4 and a half is always hugging me and telling me he loves me. They're both so adorable. I'm nanny Penny by the way, because I have a cat called Penny, their other nanny is nanny Flopsey because she (had) a rabbit called Flopsey.

As a nanny and a mother in law, I have never, ever, interfered in my son and daughter in laws life. I've never gone round to their house unannounced, I would always wait to be invited, and I've always tried to keep to their guidelines on how they want their boys raised. They are both excellent parents. I can't say, hand on heart though, that I don't slip up now and again, and give the boys the odd treat, but that's what nanny's are for isn't it ?. As I mentioned in another thread, I love to see them, and miss them when I don't. But it's also very nice, when my son comes to pick them up. At 70 years old, it can get a bit tiring.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jabegy wrote: »
    I only had a grandma on my dads side, granddad died when I was quite young. My mum was a yorkshire woman so all her family were up north, although her mum had died when my mum was a little girl. I couldn't say I was all that close to my grandma even though we only lived round the corner.

I on the other hand look after my two grandsons, two afternoons a week, and I feel very loved by them, the oldest one, he's 4 and a half is always hugging me and telling me he loves me. They're both so adorable. I'm nanny Penny by the way, because I have a cat called Penny, their other nanny is nanny Flopsey because she (had) a rabbit called Flopsey.

As a nanny and a mother in law, I have never, ever, interfered in my son and daughter in laws life. I've never gone round to their house unannounced, I would always wait to be invited, and I've always tried to keep to their guidelines on how they want their boys raised. They are both excellent parents. I can't say, hand on heart though, that I don't slip up now and again, and give the boys the odd treat, but that's what nanny's are for isn't it ?. As I mentioned in another thread, I love to see them, and miss them when I don't. But it's also very nice, when my son comes to pick them up. At 70 years old, it can get a bit tiring.

I look after two of mine, three days a week at their house, its not easy but I love it, and they really love me always waiting at the window for me always hugging and kissing me, and that is lovely.
    I never go against their parents rules but when they visit me at my home then I am nanny and I will then spoil them a little.
  • Options
    Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge Posts: 16,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Unfortunately I didn't really know my grandparents as they didn't live in the UK.
    My parents have been very important in their grandchildren's lives, especially my mum.