Refurbished iPad quality - PC World

DaedrothDaedroth Posts: 3,065
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi. I am looking to maybe buy a refurbished iPad 4 from PC World. The price, including a discount, is cheaper than that of a refurbished iPad 4 directly from Apple, which is swaying me towards PC World.

Has anyone purchased a refurbished iPad from PC World? What is the quality of them? E.g, Do they have scratches and stuff?

Or has anyone purchased a refurbished iPad from Apple? What was the condition?

Comments

• Mr. CoolMr. Cool Posts: 1,551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Refurbished devices get a new case and a new battery.

I've heard this repeatedly on Apple's own forums and I believe this is their policy (though I don't own any Apple products as I dislike them :))
  • DaedrothDaedroth Posts: 3,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you think the same would be the case for refurbished iPads from PC World?
  • PPhilsterPPhilster Posts: 1,742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nope. Buy yourself a refurbished Apple device only from Apple. I have owned quite a few and they all looked brand new and have the same warranty.
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    PPhilster wrote: »
    Nope. Buy yourself a refurbished Apple device only from Apple. I have owned quite a few and they all looked brand new and have the same warranty.

Why do you think the PC World ones would be any different?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alan1302 wrote: »

Apple repairs and replaces parts to make them like new before selling as refurbished and gives you the same factory warranty as a new device. You really think a third party store is going to do the same, or is even capable of doing the same?
    Forum Member
    Apple repairs and replaces parts to make them like new before selling as refurbished and gives you the same factory warranty as a new device. You really think a third party store is going to do the same, or is even capable of doing the same?

Yeah, they could be getting them from Apple themselves as well.

They are probably customer retun units so would not need a new case or anything else though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 181
    Forum Member

PC Worlds repair facility at Newark is one of the biggest in Europe, they repair over 3000 units a day from all vendors.

They are fully accredited, trained and monitored by Apple for all Apple re-furb work. Not a single unit leaves their facility without work being carried to Apples exact standards. In fact Apple are so hot on this, that Apple repairs are done in a separate unit with dedicated Apple trained technicians.

Go ahead and buy with confidence. BTW I hate Apple products and PCW, but credit where credit is due.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, they could be getting them from Apple themselves as well.

That makes no sense. Why would Apple be refurbishing its own products to give to resellers that it can sell itself? It has never done that.
    They are probably customer retun units so would not need a new case or anything else though.

That's not what an Apple refurbished device is. I suggest you stroll over to Apple's site and read up on the subject.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flipper411 wrote: »
    PC Worlds repair facility at Newark is one of the biggest in Europe, they repair over 3000 units a day from all vendors.

They are fully accredited, trained and monitored by Apple for all Apple re-furb work. Not a single unit leaves their facility without work being carried to Apples exact standards. In fact Apple are so hot on this, that Apple repairs are done in a separate unit with dedicated Apple trained technicians.

Go ahead and buy with confidence. BTW I hate Apple products and PCW, but credit where credit is due.

I doubt very much they are refurbishing anything to Apple's "exact standards" or that Apple would somehow oversee the work of that store to be the equivalent of their own refurbished products to then be sold at a lesser price. That makes absolutely no sense.

You are much better off buying directly from Apple. I have owned quite a few of Apple's refurbished products and they all looked and operated as a new product. They are the most highly regarded refurbished products in the industry.
    Forum Member
    I doubt very much they are refurbishing anything to Apple's "exact standards" or that Apple would somehow oversee the work of that store to be the equivalent of their own refurbished products to then be sold at a lesser price. That makes absolutely no sense.

You are much better off buying directly from Apple. I have owned quite a few of Apple's refurbished products and they all looked and operated as a new product. They are the most highly regarded refurbished products in the industry.

PPhilster you may doubt whatever you like. I'm speaking from fact. PCW don't refurb stuff at a store level. They have an absolutely humongous facility at Newark where all Dixons PC products are repaired. I have been there and seen it.

Apple only gave them ASP status after extensive training of their staff and ongoing QC and monitoring of their practices. If your asking if a PCW Apple refurb is as good as an Apple one direct, then the anwser is yes they are. By the way PCW or Dixons Retail to give them their full name, repair more PC's and Notebooks in the UK then all the PC vendors in the country together.

As stated I have no interest in either company. The OP asked the question if there are any differences between Apple and PCW refurbs and the answer is none.
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There should be no difference between an Apple refurb and an approved repairer other than the Apple ones are done under the gaze of the Jobsian one from the iCloud

Having worked at a place that had Apple accreditation its a pain to get and to keep hold of as the quality has to be 100% everytime or its not good enough
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PPhilster you may doubt whatever you like. I'm speaking from fact. PCW don't refurb stuff at a store level. They have an absolutely humongous facility at Newark where all Dixons PC products are repaired. I have been there and seen it.

Apple only gave them ASP status after extensive training of their staff and ongoing QC and monitoring of their practices. If your asking if a PCW Apple refurb is as good as an Apple one direct, then the anwser is yes they are. By the way PCW or Dixons Retail to give them their full name, repair more PC's and Notebooks in the UK then all the PC vendors in the country together.

As stated I have no interest in either company. The OP asked the question if there are any differences between Apple and PCW refurbs and the answer is none.

I think, against all reason, you are simply assuming that to be the case. The OP would be wise to contact Apple before believing your very unlikely story.
    Forum Member
    I think, against all reason, you are simply assuming that to be the case. The OP would be wise to contact Apple before believing your very unlikely story.

Fair enough PPhilster, just gave you the facts, believe what you choose to believe. My response was for the OP's benefit. Couldn't really give a toss for Apple or PCW.

Don't really have the energy to have a discussion with someone who wants to argue a point they have no concrete evidence to support, but continues to insist they must be right.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fair enough PPhilster, just gave you the facts, believe what you choose to believe. My response was for the OP's benefit. Couldn't really give a toss for Apple or PCW.

Don't really have the energy to have a discussion with someone who wants to argue a point they have no concrete evidence to support, but continues to insist they must be right.

Actually, I never said I was "right." Read again what I wrote! I said your story was reasonably unlikely. You are the one that has been saying you are "right." I even recommended the OP contact Apple. :cool:
  • Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    Is there a massive price difference between PCW and Apple refurbs, if not I'd go Apple, and avoid PCW like the plague.

Not sure repairing more computers and such than all other retailers together is a good thing, or does it just mean more computers break down when bought from PCW, than all other retailers put together...lol
  • BKMBKM Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    I could not comment on PC World but I once got a "manufacturer refurbished" iPad from a seller on eBay and it was horrible- they were lying! I sent it back for a refund!

The problem is that the word "refurbished" has not got a precise meaning. PC World MIGHT be selling Apple refurbished ones - but why take a chance?
  • Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    Agree if the price is not that much different, buy from Apple, with their re-furbs they're like brand new, in fact you probably couldn't tell the difference, all the cable ties, and little plastic screen protectors are in place etc.
  • DaedrothDaedroth Posts: 3,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have just been on the phone with a salesman at PC World. He said they refurbish to their 'high' standards. No mention of to Apple's quality. However the salesman said that they will not sell them with scratches or any other defects. They are sold working correctly.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Daedroth wrote: »
    I have just been on the phone with a salesman at PC World. He said they refurbish to their 'high' standards. No mention of to Apple's quality. However the salesman said that they will not sell them with scratches or any other defects. They are sold working correctly.

I would pass. :D
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't speak for PCW as I avoid them like the plague but after having bought Apple refurb stuff directly from Apple as well as other parties (and subsequently returning said refurbs) I would only ever buy an Apple refurb from Apple in future. If bought from Apple you might pay more but you're buying it practically as new with full warranty and Apple-Care options.
  • BKMBKM Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    Daedroth wrote: »
    Your choice! - people KNOW the Apple quality but, if this is at a good discount, they are pretty reputable!
  • RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would just like to echo what others have said. Unless you are making a very considerable saving (which is unlikely) go to Apple.
    Apple refurbished products are exceptional, practically "as new". Why take the chance elsewhere, especially with PCW, who (let's face it) haven't exactly got an untarnished reputation, have they ?
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    That's not what an Apple refurbished device is. I suggest you stroll over to Apple's site and read up on the subject.

I think Apple refurb devices/computers are older models that are rebuilt and carefully tested to make sure they're as good as new. I've heard of people buying refurb iMacs and Macbooks as they're cheaper than brand new ones and they seem to be as good as new. I was considering it to get the older iMac with an optical drive, but I can't have the iMac yet as I'm waiting for my old desktop to snuff it before I can buy it.
    Forum Member
    I was considering it to get the older iMac with an optical drive, but I can't have the iMac yet as I'm waiting for my old desktop to snuff it before I can buy it.

What if it goes on working forever? You will be using an antique and it should be in a museum :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Apple refurb devices/computers are older models that are rebuilt and carefully tested to make sure they're as good as new. I've heard of people buying refurb iMacs and Macbooks as they're cheaper than brand new ones and they seem to be as good as new. I was considering it to get the older iMac with an optical drive, but I can't have the iMac yet as I'm waiting for my old desktop to snuff it before I can buy it.

Apple refurbished products include all current products.

Yes, as I said, I have owned quite a few Apple refurbished products and they were like new.

You don't wait for a computer to die before replacing it. You replace it because you want better performance.

I wouldn't buy the previous generation iMac. If you need an optical drive then simply buy a very inexpensive compact one that can be stowed when not in use.