Forced Regenerations (guessing, so no spoilers)

MulettMulett Posts: 9,056
Forum Member
With mystery still building as to the nature of John Hurt's 'incarnation' of the Doctor, i thought I would throw my hat into the ring.

Years ago, I came up with an idea of how the Valeyard (in Trial of a Timelord) could have been revealed to be a past rather than future Doctor. In fact, that he could have turned out to be the original 3rd Doctor.

Forced to regenerate against his will by the Time Lords at the end of 'War Games', the Doctor's nature was twisted and this brought out a vengeful, evil persona.

Eventually, the Time Lords realised what they had done and tried to wipe the 'Valeyard' from existence. They dipped into the Doctor's personal timeline and went back to the end of the War Games once more. They then regenerated the 2nd Doctor for a second time, but this time successfully (resulting in the Pertwee '3rd' Doctor).

This of course never happened, but I wondered if it might explain John Hurt’s ‘missing link’ Doctor. In the depths of the Time War, the Time Lords realised their greatest soldier (the Doctor) lacked the necessary brutality and ruthlessness to defeat the Daleks. So they forced him to regenerate and this resulted in John Hurt’s 9th Doctor.

But he was so ruthless, he not only destroyed the Daleks but the Time Lords as well. At the end of the Time War, the 9th Doctor was too much of a liability to be allowed to wander time and space and so the final act of the Time Lords was to erase him from the Doctor’s timeline and ‘gift’ the Doctor a new 9th incarnation.

Comments

• ukgnomeukgnome Posts: 541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I see the Hurt regeneration as the following.
    8 is uploaded into the matrix (some younger viewers may not be aware that the matrix is a Dr Who invention) The timelords then download him again, but purposefully corrupt him into Hurt (Alt 8)

Hurt then does the time wars nasty, and regens into 9. No increase in numbers, just some matrix tomfoolery.

Info on Matrix here