The Butler (Starring Forest Whitaker and Oprah Winfrey)

LMLM Posts: 63,460
Forum Member
✭✭
I saw this film yesterday and it is simply stunning.

It came a few weeks ago in the US and is already a hot contender for the oscars.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuojHqfe4Vk

It also has small roles by the likes of Mariah Carey, Terrence Howard, Jane Fonda, Vanessa Redgrave, Cuba Gooding Jr, Lenny Kravitz, Robin Williams, James Marsden, Alan Rickman, John Cusack etc.

Both Forest and Oprah give such raw and beautiful performances, as well as a suprising supporting performance by Yaya DeCosta.

Comments

• StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    I saw this film yesterday and it is simply stunning.

It came a few weeks ago in the US and is already a hot contender for the oscars.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuojHqfe4Vk

It also has small roles by the likes of Mariah Carey, Terrence Howard, Jane Fonda, Vanessa Redgrave, Cuba Gooding Jr, Lenny Kravitz, Robin Williams, James Marsden, Alan Rickman, John Cusack etc.

Both Forest and Oprah give such raw and beautiful performances, as well as a suprising supporting performance by Yaya DeCosta.
    I like Yaya.;)

The film, I'm not too sure about....they say Forrest Gump like, which isn't a bad thing - But do we need another one.
  • fhs man 2fhs man 2 Posts: 7,591
    Forum Member
    It still does not have a UK release date.
  • AerickAerick Posts: 1,528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stansfield wrote: »
    I like Yaya.;)

The film, I'm not too sure about....they say Forrest Gump like, which isn't a bad thing - But do we need another one.

That is what I said when I reviewed it. It really reminded me somewhat in style of Forrest Gump. This film is "BASED" on a character, but many of the parts/life in the film is not what the real character went through. A lot was added regarding his family, his career, his upbringing. It was almost like Lee Daniels said "let's make this guy go through this and this and this and put it in the film". I was surprised he did't have 'the Butler' became a Tuskegee Airman in World War II. **Tuskeegee Airmen were an all black air force corps in WWII.

Yes, many of the performances were great, overall it was a very entertaining movie and well made, but it was embellished quite a bit which to me, gave it that Forrest Gump air. I hesitate to write any more due to it not yet being seen overall in the UK. I think?. I certainly did love Vanessa Redgrave's small cameo and Jane Fonda's.

Definitely go see it if it interests you, but it's in no way a documentary and a true life account, but rather a story based on an individual.