Possibly moving to Birmingham - places to live?

Comments

• JazzyPJazzyP Posts: 1,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sutton Coldfield is a nice part of Birmingham
  • The Exiled DubThe Exiled Dub Posts: 8,358
    Forum Member
    I live very close to Bearwood, and I have to say that I am very settled here. Nothing fancy, but a good area.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lofichic wrote: »
    Neelams! Why do you do this to me....

There is the singular best curry house in the world opposite Neelams, called Teknaf. It's beautiful, really nicely decorated too.

I'm going to a gig in Wolverhampton on Monday night, I'm getting me some Teknaf after - a night crashing at the folks, back for work on Tuesday with my Bearwood fix sorted :D

Oooohhh the Teknaf does a fantastic curry - I like the little curry house down past the Bear Tavern as well. Did you know the Kings Head/Quantum has reopened again? It looks generically ok in there now...

OP, one thing about Birmingham which tickles me, is pretty much every area sounds like something out of King Arthur and the Knights of the round table - at least if the area ends up a bit dodgy it'll sound quite good when you give your address out over the phone!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,741
    Forum Member
    I have narrowed the areas I am going to search in to Edgbaston/Bearwood and Sutton/Erdington area.
  • BigearsBigears Posts: 633
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    3500 wrote: »
    No offence but IMO Birmingham is an absolute shithole, a complete and utter dive. I would never move there if given the choice.

There are a lot of places in the UK that are not so nice. Brum has some fantastic areas and also some areas you would not live in a million years. What amazed me when I moved down here was the green spaces as you always had he impression of inner city living, smog, dust and grey. A38/ A441 roads are well serviced by buses. I would avoid Selly Oak unless you are looking for a studenty area.

Kings Heath and Moselely are nice but suffer a real bottle neck on the A345. Solihull is also good, but check the area again.
  • hayleyghayleyg Posts: 15,748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PDJames wrote: »
    Persumably Harborne is well served by buses though.

You've given me a fair few suggestions. I'll be incontact with a few estate agents next week and have a nose around on Right Move.

Funnily enough I was in Harborne today

Harborne and Edgbaston (Just avoid Gillets Road) are some of the poshest suburbs

From Harborne there's about 4 or 5 buses that drop you right in the City Centre

Edgbaston is served by about 2 or 3
  • B3atenB3aten Posts: 4,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have narrowed the areas I am going to search in to Edgbaston/Bearwood and Sutton/Erdington area.

We used to live in Erdington and it's got it's good areas and bad areas - have a look at Castle Bromwich though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i wouldnt move to erdington, sutton and edgbaston/bearwood yes but not erdington
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 115
    Forum Member
    Persumably Harborne is well served by buses though.

You've given me a fair few suggestions. I'll be incontact with a few estate agents next week and have a nose around on Right Move.

Harborne/Moseley/Edgbaston

Harborne would be the best - you're more likely to get a houseshare with professionals and it has a good pub/cafe culture.

(I am originally from Harborne lol)
    Forum Member
    i wouldnt move to erdington, sutton and edgbaston/bearwood yes but not erdington

Why not Erdington?
  • TheFirstCutTheFirstCut Posts: 7,306
    Forum Member
    B3aten wrote: »
    We live in Castle Bromwich and have been here for about 4 years. Very quiet, good bus services, and a car into the City will cost about £12. It's classed as a village and is in Solihull (so you get better council services than Birmingham IMO) although it's convenient for the M6, M42, A38 and there are quite a few places to go fairly locally, such as the Fort. House prices are pretty reasonable.

LOL @ better council services - Birmingham has better council services than Solihull, that's why most people in Solihull complain they pay a lot for council tax but don't get as many services than those in Birmingham do!
    Forum Member
    Cstar2229 wrote: »
    Solihull was nice last time I went there.

Though not in Birmingham.
    Forum Member
    Why not Erdington?

Dreadful place, I've lived there too when I had to.
    Forum Member
    hayleyg wrote: »
    I'd suggest South Birmingham is better than the North (but maybe I'm a little biased:rolleyes:) It really depends on what you want.

How close you want to be to the city centre, do you want to be near countryside, transport etc

Some awful places too in South Birmingham.

Most parts of Kings Norton aren't great, very deprived area, half or more of Northfield is awful, Longbridge area poor too, West heath poor.

Though there are some nice parts in those areas and really nice houses.
    Forum Member

Oh. I know people who live there and its seemed alright to me even though it looks a bit run down. Similar to the area I live in at the mo actually.
    Forum Member
    Oh. I know people who live there and its seemed alright to me even though it looks a bit run down. Similar to the area I live in at the mo actually.

A lot does look run down, some nice big houses there, and there are parts that look really nice, you'd think you were in a small village, however it's not a place you'd want to be walking through at night or using the buses through there at night.

The train station however is handy and trains run every 10 mins.
    Forum Member
    A lot does look run down, some nice big houses there, and there are parts that look really nice, you'd think you were in a small village, however it's not a place you'd want to be walking through at night or using the buses through there at night.

The train station however is handy and trains run every 10 mins.

I'll take your advice on board.:)
    Forum Member
    I'll take your advice on board.:)

By Gravelly Hill train station isn't too bad and isn't that far from Erdington itself, Gravelly Hill train station being on the same "Cross City" line as Erdington.
  • Dante AmecheDante Ameche Posts: 20,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why did you have to live there?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IronCat wrote: »
    Oooohhh the Teknaf does a fantastic curry - I like the little curry house down past the Bear Tavern as well. Did you know the Kings Head/Quantum has reopened again? It looks generically ok in there now...

OP, one thing about Birmingham which tickles me, is pretty much every area sounds like something out of King Arthur and the Knights of the round table - at least if the area ends up a bit dodgy it'll sound quite good when you give your address out over the phone!!

Do you mean Kashmir Cottage? That does a great curry - I think you can take your own bottles too. I love Liverpool on many levels but my heart belongs to Bearwood. I even have a custom made Bearwood t-shirt I had done when I lived in London in 2000. It's falling apart but I still wear it.

I had heard King Head had reopened. I remember when it was a nice big pub, long time before Quantum got it's dirty hands on it, and when the Bear was a brilliant comedy club before it became Mr Qs. I was only back a fortnight ago and I'm homesick already!

I think PDJames should move to Bearwood and we should do him(?) a DS welcome at the Bear! :p
    Forum Member
    Why did you have to live there?

Only place I could be put up on short notice.
    Forum Member
    lofichic wrote: »

Bearwood

Did you bump into Alison Hammond?
  • Dante AmecheDante Ameche Posts: 20,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only place I could be put up on short notice.
    Depends which part you were put up. There are parts where you'd be most fortunate to see change out of £300k and other parts where you'd pay to not live there.
    Would I be right in saying you weren't living too far from the Lyndhurst or Faulkners Farm estates?

As someone posted earlier, most parts of Brum have good and bad areas within the same post code, Sutton and Edgbaston being two that spring to mind
    Forum Member
    Depends which part you were put up. There are parts where you'd be most fortunate to see change out of £300k and other parts where you'd pay to not live there.
    Would I be right in saying you weren't living too far from the Lyndhurst or Faulkners Farm estates?

As someone posted earlier, most parts of Brum have good and bad areas within the same post code, Sutton and Edgbaston being two that spring to mind

I even posted myself, there are good and bad parts in the same areas, and even Erdington has some nice parts, it's just if you rely on public transport you may have to go through the bad parts.

I was half way between Erdington TC and Gravelly Hill, which was better than other parts, Gravelly Hill being my closest station, however you wouldn't want to go into the TC later on in the evening if you weren't of the type who could handle hassle, though even I wouldn't be able to overcome a blade which most people who hang around there did and still do.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did you bump into Alison Hammond?

que?

The bird from Fleetwood Mac who wasn't Stevie Nicks is from Bearwood.