Options

[Game] The Mix Factor 6: Live Show #2

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    *Standing Ovation*

Mariana, my amazing star. That was spectacular!!! It really was. I have had Selah Sue saved in my playlist for ages for you and this week was the perfect one to use her for you. Everything about this had your name written on it. It was like last weeks performance in style but it just felt so much happier and I was really getting in the groove. Probably one of my favourite songs at the moment I would say and you pulled it off in style. You were quirky, fresh and I just adore mentoring you. Please vote Mariana!!!
  • Options
    jackel1234jackel1234 Posts: 5,218
    Forum Member
    Mariana Rocha

Last week I felt you were the best of the girls but this week I feel like you’ve taken a big step down. Like Selah Sue should be a singer who suits you really well but this song doesn’t exactly suit you that well. Its kind of the songs singing style which doesn’t really work for you, it makes the whole song feel awkward. If Pingu went with something like This World I’d of probably been giving him a lot of praise but this just didn’t sit right with me.
  • Options
    SoppyfanSoppyfan Posts: 29,911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mariana, I can see what your mentor going for this week...and I thoroughly enjoyed that one. This song just suited to a tee and it had that element of groove which I think matches you and your voice very well. I am extremely impressed with the direction taken here and I think you're gonna be a huge surprise soon, nicely done.
  • Options
    jackamakkajackamakka Posts: 4,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mariana, last week I was very harsh on you. But this week, I can see night and day of a difference. I much preferred this performance for you both musically and vocally. While I'm still not raving about it, this is a performance I won't forget soon. Well done!
  • Options
    EndOfSanityEndOfSanity Posts: 15,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some very good comments for Mariana there from the panel, with the notable exception of Jakk who didn't seem to rate it that much. Who will the public side with tonight?

We've already seen our fair share of NTA acts this show, but the next performance will take that to another level. Singing a song by the legendary Lykke Li, it's Astrid Tan.

Gunshot by Lykke Li
    http://youtu.be/AIruwzhozTc
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Astrid, yet again, I am afraid I didn't like that for you. The vocals just didn't sound like you at all in my opinion. It was all too young sounding and higher pitched and just not like the artist you are. Also, Lykke Li is constantly used in forum games and she actually won NTA so I have heard a lot of her. I know that you are a hard act to mentor with a voice that is hard to find songs for, but I'm afraid that Jack doesn't really understand you. I think your time may be up in this competition. Good luck!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I have not heard of Lykke Li or her music, so this is new and interesting to me, (apart from the video which was slightly confusing, lol). Astrid, this week, I saw a margin of improvement but not really that much compared to the others who have improved so far. Not the best that I was expecting from you, but the public have spoken otherwise before, we'll have to wait if they'll support you again tonight.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Astrid Tan

To be fair to you Astrid this actually wasn’t that bad of a song choice, like it was massively better than last week but unfortunately for me the song fell a bit flat for you. I like Lykke Li but I think your vocals and hers are quite different tonal wise. Like i said the song was much better but at the same time I can't see you being safe.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well unlike Pingu, I had never heard of Lykke Li until searching for a song for Astrid tonight. Personally, I think this was a great way to show off Astrid's depth in a performance. Although, I'll agree, perhaps not the best representation of her voice, I think it captures her essence and hopefully the voters see this too.
  • Options
    aliyah101aliyah101 Posts: 13,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Soppyfan wrote: »
    Well I have not heard of Lykke Li or her music, so this is new and interesting to me, (apart from the video which was slightly confusing, lol). Astrid, this week, I saw a margin of improvement but not really that much compared to the others who have improved so far. Not the best that I was expecting from you, but the public have spoken otherwise before, we'll have to wait if they'll support you again tonight.

First NTA winner Steve. :o You've never heard of her???? :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well yeah, I don't go to any of those threads on a regular basis. :blush:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    aliyah101 wrote: »
    First NTA winner Steve. :o You've never heard of her???? :o

Even I knew, who wasn't around in the forum then. :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All in all, a somewhat decent set of comments for Astrid this time around. However, there seems to be some doubt among the judges concerning her odds of survival in the vote...

Someone who doesn't have to worry about that considering the comments he got last week is Dean Ray. Can he pull such a feat off again?

So Now You Know by The Horrors
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wr7TAfOkEVc#t=1m22s
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Dean, I loved it!!! I think I preferred last weeks performance but only by a short margin. I still really enjoyed this. Your vocals were stunning and yet again, it really felt like `A typical Dean Ray performance`. I did love it as a song choice but I am wondering if next week, you could maybe mix it up with an acoustic rock performance so we are getting a different side to you? Other than that, fantastic. Love having you on the show!!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dean, you sir you've done it again. First off, this is a fantastic song choice, I can't explain it, but it just seemed to fit you effectively and you brought our the rock side in you as before which I always enjoy, will you be able to take on a different side in the future? For now, this is possibly the best performance so far and I look forward to see you rocking it next week, outstanding.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dean. Hmm. I didn't really feel this for you, it didn't seem to sit quite right with your vocals to me. While there's no denying you have a great voice and Jakk is a great mentor, I have to say it just didn't work for me this week. Still, I loved your performance last week and hope you can bring it back for me with the next time you perform.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Dean Ray

And Dean Ray comes in and kicks it out of the park as he always does. Dean I wanted to give you The Horrors simply because last week I gave you a full on rock track which allowed you to really show off your rock ability so this week I wanted to give you a more mellow track which would basically allow you to show off your voice and the swagger you have on stage as well. Another fabulous performance from the man that is Dean Ray!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apart from Jacka not really feeling it, Dean certainly didn't fail to impress with his performance.

It's been a while since a group performed, so let's hear it for Tandberg & Østenby who are tackling a Mindy Gledhill song today!

All The Pennies by Mindy Gledhill
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcF5zsDCTWI
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Girls you've done it again! Another amazing performance! You two have such amazing vocals and I know that you have what it takes to go far in this competition. Great work Steve, you've really hit the nail on the head with these girls once again. Well done!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Girls, I am so happy that I didn't have to write another comment on harmonizes. I heard quite a few in there so I am quite happy about that. However, I found it too happy if you get what I mean. You have more of an eerie sort of performance sort of style and this was just too happy. In fact, I was the first person to use Mindy for Melanie Martinez and then Steve actually used her for Janet. They're the sort of singers that she suits, not you. I don't know if it will be enough to get you through!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh you two are so amazing to work with! Last week, one of the judges said that you need to do upbeat songs and not slow songs all the time, so this week, we took that on board and found this underrated choice which had that spark for you to do much better. I love quirky performances and I feel so blessed to have you in my category, this was amazing and I hope the viewers found it amazing as well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    T&O

Calling you T&O from now on as I find it impossible to spell your names. Anyway girls this is more something I’d expect to see from Violetta, as her original music is so happy, but not what I expected to see from you. I think your mentor basically saw a song with quirky vocals and thought “oh this suits them it’s quirky” when in reality it really doesn’t. He got it right last week so I am sure he can do it again, but for now this wasn’t a good performance.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh dear, Tandberg & Østenby seem to have split the panel. What's interesting is that this split involves a battle between two ways of mentoring, which in turn begs one simple question: is there a single 'right way' to mentor an act?

Philosophically-tinted questions aside, let's enjoy Reigan Derry's performance of a Bonnie McKee track.

Somebody by Bonnie McKee
    http://youtu.be/_r_anOaA_cU
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Reigan, even though this fitted your more unique tone more, it just felt really dated and old. It felt like a typical, generic early naughties track. That's all I can say about the performance. Your vocals may have fitted better but the whole song was just so generic and as I said, dated. I'm afraid that I found that performance to be DREADFUL and I think the only thing that will get you through tonight is your legion of fans on DS. Good luck!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reigan, I just had to keep listening to this song over and over again once I found it because I absolutely fell in love with it. I want to try and show that versatility Foo identifies for you in your own show but move away from the "belter" tag constantly attached to you. You have a lot of breadth to your performance style and there's so much more you can do. Hence, I chose a much slower song which really shows off you and I feel you pulled it off amazingly. Well done!