Options

Why do you watch the X factor?

Born lippyBorn lippy Posts: 2,839
Forum Member
✭✭✭
In light of how many folk say they are switching off, or can't stand the farce anymore, it made me wonder why anyone even does watch any more. I do look forward to it each week! Here are my reasons:

1) hoping in vain that Wagner makes a Cameo
2) I have a bit of a secret soft spot for Steven Cowell!
3) you do get the odd nicely performed song

What are your top three reasons?

Comments

• Options
    Singy ThingySingy Thingy Posts: 4,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1-occasionally, people I know appear on reality shows and want feedback

2 occasionally there are genuine talents who are enjoyable to watch grow week to week

3 the hype machine always has fascinated me.I love watching the success stories like Leona, too,and I don't care that the show was just the stepping stone that worked in a long line of them,she deserved it.
  • Options
    Visitor QVisitor Q Posts: 604
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Born lippy wrote: »
    I have a bit of a secret soft spot for Steven Cowell!

Yeah, he's great that Steve.

Why do I watch? I don't know, I never like any of the singers, at least not since the first few series when it wasn't quite so formularised as it is now. I guess it's just an annual ritual that's hard to give up.
  • Options
    stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because they closed all the coliseums and public hanging was abolished. :(

Seriously though I wasn't paying much attention to the earlier shows but this weekend has been quite an eye opener, it's reached the so bad it's good phase.
  • Options
    big bang theorybig bang theory Posts: 4,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1. For the performances.

2. If the performances are bad then the competition element is my backup choice as I love to know who will come out on top at the end of these things, it's why I also love Sports so much.
  • Options
    steve2013steve2013 Posts: 2,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    occasionally there are people who are genuine talented singers who are enjoyable to watch grow week to week. Who's album i want to buy whether thats something they have done before the show or after the show as it's always nice finding new music you like to listen to IMO
  • Options
    bluefbbluefb Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Force of habit? For the lulz? The occasional accidentally good performance used to be a bonus, but they rarely happen any more. Mocking the absurdity of it all on here is some consolation. It's well and truly jumped the shark though. The incessant fake drama has been ratcheted so high that it's virtually all the show consists of, and it's so extremely patronising. They've clearly stopped trying to run anything approaching a talent competition and have instead decided on this constant fever pitch pavlovian cacophony of bells and whistles: feel happy; feel sympathy; feel hope; laugh; cry; feel giddy; feel derision; cry more...

It's grotesque.
  • Options
    SuperSoaperSuperSoaper Posts: 5,724
    Forum Member
    I like the idea of watching someone grow from nothing and make it famous overnight.
    And I like all the drama of the knockout phases, and all the banter between the judges!
  • Options
    LightMeUpLightMeUp Posts: 1,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really don't know. It just makes me angry. Every time I can predict what they're going to say.

I think I love to hate it. And I love trashy over the top telly so that's probably why.
  • Options
    Hot ButterflyHot Butterfly Posts: 2,826
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bc it hogs the tv. When the main show starts I watch for couple of weeks and then switch off. I've never watched a results show except the final. Prob won't even be bothered with that this year.
  • Options
    jonloch1jonloch1 Posts: 3,259
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    up to series 5 it was for the talent [S7 was talented too]. Now, if im honest, its something to watch at the weekend and i like the drama lol
  • Options
    trinity2002trinity2002 Posts: 16,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Used to watch it religiously up to the year Joe McElderry won, then decided enough was enough. Fed up of the fakeness and drama!

Only watching it this year because my cousin auditioned.
  • Options
    ThiswillbefunThiswillbefun Posts: 10,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Basically for the betting.

The show has already pointed out to the public who they should like in each category, and 2 of the eventual top three are pretty obvious.

I have also discovered one amazing independent artist from the show who is forging a successful career away from the hype and has introduced me to loads of other independent artists.
  • Options
    Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,406
    Forum Member
    I get surveys from YouGov saying "What did you watch on Saturday ?"

then when I say "Strictly", the next question is "Why didn't you watch X-Factor"

and the answer is always the same - "Because it it is total c**p"

And I am not a 12 year old girl
  • Options
    d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mainly habit.

Also *cliche alert* I also like to follow the journeys of the contestants.

As with Born Lippy I have a soft spot for Mr Cowell, although I prefer Simon to Steven :grin:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    d0lphin wrote: »
    Mainly habit.

Also *cliche alert* I also like to follow the journeys of the contestants.

As with Born Lippy I have a soft spot for Mr Cowell, although I prefer Simon to Steven :grin:

Simon?! Isn't he 2014's over 25's joke act? :-D

Thanks for all the replies, really enlightening! Seems not a lot of people are watching for the Colosseum action - and many are tuning in for the music and talent show aspect! Shocking stuff........

Wish they'd bring back the Andrews Lloyd Webber talent shows. Now *they* knew how to do pantomime. And yes, I am talking about the judges ;-)

Thiswillbefun- did you used to be called something else!? I used to follow the betting tips of someone who hedged every year on here....
  • Options
    twsstwss Posts: 437
    Forum Member
    To watch boy bands cry.
  • Options
    zerotheherozerothehero Posts: 21,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have it on good authority that wagner will join forces with jedward, rachel adedeji, chico, same difference, diva fever and one direction to form a supergroup which will be this years wildcard so your wish for wagner will come true :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have it on good authority that wagner will join forces with jedward, rachel adedeji, chico, same difference, diva fever and one direction to form a supergroup which will be this years wildcard so your wish for wagner will come true :D

You missed out Gamu and SoulI Roots, but:
    ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
  • Options
    zerotheherozerothehero Posts: 21,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Born lippy wrote: »
    You missed out Gamu and SoulI Roots, but:
    ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

No gamu and souli roots will be on the panel :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No gamu and souli roots will be on the panel :D

Now we are talking
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Visitor Q wrote: »
    Yeah, he's great that Steve.

I like it best when he says "I feel like we've just scratched the surface with you'. I mean what's he planning to do by week 4, scalp them?!
  • Options
    Patti-AnnPatti-Ann Posts: 22,747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've watched every year from series 1 so I guess it's an annual habit :D
  • Options
    EvilLlamaThingyEvilLlamaThingy Posts: 6,667
    Forum Member
    I have no idea. I guess because the forum is kind of enjoyable, and I love the odd really good performance? Plus if I'm not doing much else on a Saturday/Sunday night I might as well.
  • Options
    MysteriousOzMysteriousOz Posts: 6,231
    Forum Member
    My other half watches

I love to hate it

It's nice to hear good singers do what they love (the odd one or two per series)
  • Options
    noelw1969noelw1969 Posts: 936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't watch XF anymore.

However, it currently sounds like this show is in its final death throes so it might be worth a look to watch it finally die the death it deserves.