Am I overprotective?- 9 yr old and public Loos...

124»

Comments

• Steve™Steve™ Posts: 7,286
    Forum Member
    The gents have urinals the ladies have private cubicals ie there is nothing to see in there and no point in weirdos hovering around.

Gents also have cubicles
  • 2011 is good2011 is good Posts: 1,340
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi. At nine years old, you really should let him go to the Mens' toilet by himself. You're a good parent, wanting to protect him, but the fact that he's dyspraxic shouldn't be a hindrance to his independence, even at the young age of nine years old. Just make sure he knows the basic rules for safety and knows how to use a toilet.
  • shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member
    Spot wrote: »
    At the age of 9, he probably would if the alternative was going into the ladies with his mother and having her watch while he urinates.

It's a long time ago, but I honestly can't recall my mother supervising me in this way beyond the age of about four or five.

I dont go in the cubicle with him!

thanks for everyones comments

obviously I was realising it was possibly over protective which is why I asked.

I will be cutting the apron strings next time he needs the loo...

and the dyspraxia element is just that he sometimes actually cant undo buttons or do them up sometimes at home he has to ask me and I could see him having an accident, etc, which would humiliate him but if its humiliating in the ladies then I guess we will just have to take our chances

thanks again, oh and Steve we dont have a garden
  • whackyracerwhackyracer Posts: 15,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shmisk wrote: »
    I dont go in the cubicle with him!

thanks for everyones comments

obviously I was realising it was possibly over protective which is why I asked.

I will be cutting the apron strings next time he needs the loo...

and the dyspraxia element is just that he sometimes actually cant undo buttons or do them up sometimes at home he has to ask me and I could see him having an accident, etc, which would humiliate him but if its humiliating in the ladies then I guess we will just have to take our chances

thanks again, oh and Steve we dont have a garden

No harm in canvassing opinion, and your concern shows you're a good parent. Glad to see you're not overly paranoid like some on this thread.:)
  • Button62Button62 Posts: 8,463
    Forum Member
    Not having boys makes it difficult for me to comment.

One thought I had is that your son could be as little as just over a year away from starting secondary school. Now is the time to get him used to being independant in lots of ways.

He has let you know himself that he doesn't need you to help him. I would imagine if his friends found out that "mummy still takes him to the toilet" he would be teased unmercifully.

My girls wouldn't have wanted me to accompany them from the age of about 6/7.
  • haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    9 is old enough to go to the loo on his own. You can always wait outside.

This brings back awful memories of the girls changing room being overcrowded to bursting point when my daughter was learning to swim. I remember being told that apparently boys up to the age of 8 can go into the girls changing rooms but over that age they are expected to go into the boys changing rooms. I couldn't understand why the mothers didn't just take them into the boys changing room anyway. There were no adult males getting changed at the kids swimming lessons.
  • Dangerous.DaveDangerous.Dave Posts: 1,940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Speaking as a parent of a son a bit older - I wouldn't let him go on his own, no.

As a bloke I have been in more men's toilets than you (presumably!) and you can get all sorts in these places. Not a chance!
  • AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I get why you'd be concerned about this, but doesn't it really depend on the toilets in question - in a supermarket or a shopping centre, or McDonalds or wherever, they're probably going to be about as safe as they can be in that environment.
  • GG86GG86 Posts: 8,598
    Forum Member
    I am dyspraxic too OP and I used to get easily frustrated with buttons/zips etc, I still have trouble now sometimes at 24 :o
    When you are going out why not suggest he wears a pair of joggers or trousers that pull down easily or ask him to wear a pair with a button or zip he knows he's ok with? I think letting him go in alone is ok in a place you feel comfortable with and I think standing right outside so he knows you are nearby is good, it's what my Dad used to do when he took my sister and I out without Mum, he's also asked other people going in to check if we were ok.