Options

Man United Supporters Thread (Part 43)

Comments

• Options
    Igloo_ManIgloo_Man Posts: 2,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A good performance I reckon. Nice to see Fellaini having a good game on his first start and Rooney was the best player on the pitch again. Also good that Ferdinand and Vidic played considering they'll probably start on Sunday too - those two playing three games in eight days has become something of the distant past!

Then there's the post-match comments. Rooney with another chance to confirm that a resolution has been reached but he doesn't. Infact things even get spiky when Gabriel Clarke poses a follow-up question. Then Moyes fails to confirm Rooney's happiness too.

All is not well (as we pretty much already knew). But how long can this go on for? I should be delighted with the result this evening but instead I'm feeling infuriated once again with Rooney's ongoing pooping on the troops.
  • Options
    Mr MacMr Mac Posts: 262
    Forum Member
    So the point that Ronaldo had been flirting and wanting away for years is fine because someone has 'decided' Rooney is a spoiled brat.

Dissertations can be written on the strength of that argument I'm sure.

it's clear that Rooney should have been flirting with Chelsea for at least two or three years. That would have made it much better I'm sure. I could just imagine the support he'd get for that.

Bizzare arguments being made. Wanting away for a few weeks - spoiled. Wanting away for years - fine.
  • Options
    batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As long as Rooney is playing well on the pitch, what goes on off of it can wait, as at the moment it isn't have a negative effect on his game.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If the argument is "It's different because Ronaldo wanted to go to Madrid for years", then the argument is "The Rooney situation would have been better if he wanted to go to Chelsea for years"

There's no two ways about it.
  • Options
    homer2012homer2012 Posts: 5,216
    Forum Member
    Mr Mac wrote: »
    So the point that Ronaldo had been flirting and wanting away for years is fine because someone has 'decided' Rooney is a spoiled brat.

Dissertations can be written on the strength of that argument I'm sure.

it's clear that Rooney should have been flirting with Chelsea for at least two or three years. That would have made it much better I'm sure. I could just imagine the support he'd get for that.

Bizzare arguments being made. Wanting away for a few weeks - spoiled. Wanting away for years - fine.

Its called a view and its your choice to accept or dismiss, now i am moving on to other topics.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    homer2012 wrote: »
    Its called a view and its your choice to accept or dismiss, now i am moving on to other topics.

let's agree to disagree.

Wonder what Will keane thought?
  • Options
    Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member
    If the argument is "It's different because Ronaldo wanted to go to Madrid for years", then the argument is "The Rooney situation would have been better if he wanted to go to Chelsea for years"

I know you aren't really simplifying it like that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Cantona07 wrote: »
    I know you aren't really simplifying it like that.

The argument is that simple. This is the reason cited as to why the Ronaldo situation was different so therefore I'm assuming it's the argument.

Rooney has stayed silent for a summer. We all know he wanted to go but he, wisely or unwisely, has stayed publicly silent

Ronaldo publicly flirted with Madrid for two or three years. We all knew that he wanted out and at times he was openly flirting with them

I'm not defending Rooney all but some people need a sodding reality check.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    let's agree to disagree.

Wonder what Will keane thought?

Fair enough;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    on the "he gave us one last season" thing. Sure he did. After years of wanting away. It's not as if he stayed respectful until the end. He was happy to deny speculation in the final season when he already knew the club had agreed to let him go but you can google countless articles from 2006 asking to leave to go to Spain

He spent two or three years in the media, given quotes, dropping hints and being often explicit in his desire to leave.

Suddenly because in his final season once he'd already been promised the transfer he denied wanting to go the three years before is forgotten/didn't happen?
  • Options
    OsusanaOsusana Posts: 7,511
    Forum Member

Please give it a rest, or take it off thread, it has become extremely tedious.
  • Options
    Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member
    The argument is that simple. This is the reason cited as to why the Ronaldo situation was different so therefore I'm assuming it's the argument.

Rooney has stayed silent for a summer. We all know he wanted to go but he, wisely or unwisely, has stayed publicly silent

Ronaldo publicly flirted with Madrid for two or three years. We all knew that he wanted out and at times he was openly flirting with them

I'm not defending Rooney all but some people need a sodding reality check.

If thats how you are interpreting someone elses comments then thats fine but the situations ARE different to me and in my opinion.

The world knew Ronaldo was a Real Madrid fan. I knew it, you knew it. He said that "one day" he wanted to play for them. Its the difference between wanting to leave Man Utd and wanting to play for Real Madrid.

Personally i dont have an issue with a player wanting to leave Man Utd. If you dont want to play for us, fine, dont play for us, plenty do.

None of that genuinely matters though.

The idea that Rooney has stayed silent while at the same time its been stated that he wants to leave through third parties and that he wasnt prepared to play at the end of last season leaves a far more sour taste in my mouth personally than simply knowing that a player wants to go to a specific club. To have the whole thing played out when the club was going through a massive upheaval added another dimension and the fact is that whether we blame Rooney or blame the club, this happened in May and here we are in September after a big win and we are still bloody talking about it.

I love Wayne Rooney the footballer, he has been one of my all time favourites in a United shirt. I bought into him as a career United player in a way i havent with other players. And now im disappointed. And i dont want to dislike him but i do. Now thats not Wayne Rooneys fault but its why i feel the way i do and it irks me that people seem happy to say "oh well he is here now so its ok" because i dont think it is. NOne of that takes away from him playing well, which obviously i want him to do but only because it means we win games. In a better world he would either have signed a new contract or would have been sold and replaced.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Osusana wrote: »

What's it got to do with you?
  • Options
    Igloo_ManIgloo_Man Posts: 2,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Osusana wrote: »

Agreed. You've made about 10 posts making the same point Mac. Call it a day.
  • Options
    OsusanaOsusana Posts: 7,511
    Forum Member
    What's it got to do with you?

I read and post in this forum regularly and would like to see reasoned debate not soap boxing and repetition of the same thing.
    That's what it's got to do with me and thanks for your charming response. At least I said please.........
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Fine. Let's just state our opinion and move on. On everything.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So anyone looking forward to the city game?
  • Options
    Fergie86Fergie86 Posts: 7,968
    Forum Member

Looking forward to the City game, though a bit nervous too. I would happily take a draw now, before hopefully go on a good run. City haven't started as well as i expected so we have a chance to get a decent result on Sunday.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Yes but only if we don't dwell on the subject too long ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I just hope that we put in a far better performance than in the last "big" game (v Liverpool).

I think that Afroman will take care of Yaya, so unlike previous years, hopefully he won't cause us too many problems.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I just hope that we put in a far better performance than in the last "big" game (v Liverpool).

I think that Afroman will take care of Yaya, so unlike previous years, hopefully he won't cause us too many problems.

Toure is world class but hopefully fellani keeps him quiet
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Toure is world class but hopefully fellani keeps him quiet

Yaya certainly seems to be a better player this season already than the he was for the whole of last season, but I am confident in Afroman's abilities.

Plus I think that we will have gained a lot of confidence from tonight's performance.

Hopefully Rafa might be at least on the bench as well, in his place I would start Smalling, as I thought that he did well there tonight.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Afroman? Sounds like a name given to a TV sitcom character before that sort of thing became unacceptable.
  • Options
    f_196f_196 Posts: 11,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just got back in from a score that flatters more than the performance, but was an education on how to clinically get a result.

Rooney was the best man on the pitch. Hard to cheer for him, but you have to respect that he's delivering the goods, and if he's delivering the goods then he's in the team and playing.

Fellani absolutely bossed the defensive side of midfield. Wonderful to see a bully boy back in the middle.

Valencia. I don't care that he got a goal. He was absolutely cack. Slowed everything on the right down as he always has done recently.

Poor officiating tonight too. Ref and lineman made some plainly wrong decisons - thought RVP was going to clock the ref before he got his yellow.

Little worried about the defensive errors though. Got to tighten that up against the better teams.

Oh, and if I see one more Fellani wig blocking my view at Old Trafford....! Cretins.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes the Valencia praise to me is as much "he scored a goal - it's all better" as anything else. I too wasn't at impressed with him.
This discussion has been closed.