Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,989
    Forum Member
    did Mel B's single chart high is Oz?

It didn't chart there, reached #30 on the UK Indie Chart and #12 in Ukraine
  • Options
    WhisperingGhostWhisperingGhost Posts: 4,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well done Geri! Very dignified response. Usually a pop star wouldn't acknowledge such a flop existed so I'm proud of her that she has and that she seems to be putting her own spin on it (isnt that what we all do really, when we don't get the promotion we worked hard for, or the girl/guy we fancy and think fancies us actually likes your mate etc.)

Years ago this flop would have crushed her and sent her back in to a new cycle of eating disorder. I'm happy that if she can no longer find success as an artist that she can as a person. That's why I've always and always will admire and love her!

And nobody can take away what she has already achieved in her life.
  • Options
    Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Totally agree with the above post. I like the response for the reason you have listed. Its good she has finally found inner peace. I suspect Bluebell keeps her grounded these days.
  • Options
    GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Umm, I wouldn't mind the blog, but as others have mentioned it was nowhere near #94, in fact massively below. So it's just lying spin.

Big of her to say she could have got the single up to 30 or 60, if she'd sung it at AGT, does she mean 230 or 260?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think we can safely say this was Geri's Swansong as a solo artist.
    She decided not to sing Half Of Me, choosing a rearrangement of "Wannabe" instead. She looked really sad but I thought the standing ovation at the end was really sweet and Dawn French has always loved Geri and looked sad/proud of her too.

Goodbye Geri, thanks for some great pop music over the years!

http://m.thatgrapejuice.net/2013/11/geri-halliwell-performs-spice-girls-wannabe-australias-talent/
  • Options
    RikScotRikScot Posts: 2,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think we can safely say this was Geri's Swansong as a solo artist.
    She decided not to sing Half Of Me, choosing a rearrangement of "Wannabe" instead. She looked really sad but I thought the standing ovation at the end was really sweet and Dawn French has always loved Geri and looked sad/proud of her too.

Goodbye Geri, thanks for some great pop music over the years!

http://m.thatgrapejuice.net/2013/11/geri-halliwell-performs-spice-girls-wannabe-australias-talent/

Tragic.
  • Options
    gpkgpk Posts: 10,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    oh dear, i think she's being typically over dramatic again. fair play to her for accepting the song flopped, even though she was economical with the truth about the chart position and the promotion she did for it. however, to drop the song quicker than she could sack a manager, does seem a bit over the top.:o

mel c, bless her, has had her fair share of flops over the years, but she still stands by her solo material and has even continued to tour despite the commercial failures of her releases. if geri really believed in the song in the first place, she would have given the song one last push. she had literally nothing to lose and probably wouldn't have gained anything really, but at least she would be able to look back and reflect that she used all the promotional opportunities open to her to make that song a success.

i think ultimately she misjudged the anticipation for a comeback from her and in that respect, i do feel a little sorry for her. however, she did say she was releasing her new music for her fans and to give up at the first hurdle doesn't really strengthen that supposed motivation.
  • Options
    sparkle22sparkle22 Posts: 1,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think everyone is being dramatic no reason why she can't come back to the uk and release here and do well.
    there are millions of fans out there who would buy a new album if she released it I have no idea what the Australian music scene is like maybe they only like certain types of music
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sparkle22 wrote: »
    I think everyone is being dramatic no reason why she can't come back to the uk and release here and do well.
    there are millions of fans out there who would buy a new album if she released it I have no idea what the Australian music scene is like maybe they only like certain types of music

She certainly doesn't have millions of fans anymore and the UK generally doesn't like her/sees her as a joke figure. Her music career is over, sadly for fans.
  • Options
    Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,989
    Forum Member

Nobody is being dramatic, just reporting the facts that her single bombed, she then released a statement which saw her single jump from it's actual position of #281 to #94 in some kind of show of humility

I have no idea what the Australian music scene is like either, maybe they just like good music? After being in Australia for Got Talent for the past however many months you'd think she'd have a grip on the music scene there
  • Options
    Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

She will never be successful again unless she gets some dramatic stroke of luck. She was a guest judge on X Factor UK several times, and she didn't go down that well at all. Then there's the huge issue of her not being able to sing for sh*t. Seriously she is a dreadful vocalist.

It looks like Victoria was the smart one in the end, now I understand why she didn't want to be associated with the group and wants to forget it, when her ex-band members are looking as desperate as Geri is.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

oh dear, she's not going to sell millions of albums, not in 2013 and certainly not on the strength of "half of me".:D unfortunately for her, "whispering ghost" was spot on by suggesting her profile is a joke in the uk and that her music career could be over following this disastrous release.

its emma and mel c that i have the most respect for now after the spice girls and they're mature enough to embrace their past without trying to seem above it. victoria can turn her nose up at her past all she likes, but without marrying well and creating a lucrative brand based on that union, she would be just another failed solo artist.:o people forget she exhausted all her musical opinions before quitting music and that she partly bankrupted her last record label.:eek:

both emma and mel c have done tv stints on reality shows on judging panels and they even released a flop single on the back of mel's last judging role, but their expectations were more modest. even mel b seems blasé about her musical return, but unfortunately, i suspect geri's expectations were too high and now its her that is being over dramatic.;)
  • Options
    sparkle22sparkle22 Posts: 1,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    geri left it to long maybe 2005 when passion was released.
    anything over 3 years is too long actually she has improved as a singer check out the breast cancer care gig she did last year I admit she wasn't great back in the day.
    but she's obviously made the effort since.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    I like the fact she responded, most singers don't or try to make out it 'not all about chart positions/sales' but she's been honest and said she was gutted, she hasn't blamed people, just the fact the song hasn't connected.

Not a big fan of Geri or the song, but I like this response. Hope she doesn't give up and focuses on a UK release with another song, surely she has the profile for some considerable promotion slots.

Both Mel B and Geri's releases felt rushed, they didn't even upload their video on to an official VEVO account, bit shoddy!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    well this is interesting news.:p the "backstreet boys" (jump to 0:30) have revealed they have been in "early talks" about "maybe doing a world tour" with the spice girls.:eek: i don't know how geri is going to fit this in with her busy solo schedule though.:o

spill the beans, ken.;)