Options

Trivial things that annoy you about TV

Comments

• Options
    p1xiep1xie Posts: 2,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The catch-all soap phrase '...after everything that's happened...' I swear I've heard this in every soap from Corrie to Neighbours and I'm starting to think it's a universal soap inside joke.
  • Options
    Hyram FyramHyram Fyram Posts: 3,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Delroy Haines springs instantly to mind.
    WORST. VOICE. EVER.

The most inane one is that idiot who does the antiques show Put Your Money Where Your Mouth Is. Unbearable.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TV news' obsession with showing people whose identity is supposed to be a secret. Sometimes it's the voice and accent they allow, sometimes it's the back of their head and a bit of their profile, sometimes it's the room around them - don't these people watch A Question of Sport and the mystery sportsman round? If someone already knows these interviewees then one way or another their anonymity is blown by this kind of coverage. If they are supposed to be protected, protect them by not showing them at all!
  • Options
    snukrsnukr Posts: 19,729
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Contestents on quiz shows who say they know nothing about the subject of the question so they'll have to guess, then come up with a really obscure correct answer.

When they show the news headlines at the end of Pointless two minutes before it's on, I could understand if there's a major news story to try and keep viewers tuned in, but usually it's when nothing out of the ordinary is happening.

When they show goals in football matches from an unconventional angle, :mad: this usually happens on Football Focus, they shouldn't assume everybody has already seen them on MOTD.
  • Options
    mikebukmikebuk Posts: 18,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've never been someone who would not want to know the results before MOTD, but the two second period you get when the sports bulletin person tells you to look away now is pointless as you would have to cover your ears or press the mute button also.

It is too 'Likely Lads' for my liking. OK, in the 'olden days' you may have got away with it, but nowadays avoiding al news and social media seems impossible.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mikebuk wrote: »
    I've never been someone who would not want to know the results before MOTD, but the two second period you get when the sports bulletin person tells you to look away now is pointless as you would have to cover your ears or press the mute button also.

It is too 'Likely Lads' for my liking. OK, in the 'olden days' you may have got away with it, but nowadays avoiding al news and social media seems impossible.

It's pretty easy, actually. It's only one Saturday evening. As I'm not interested enough in other clubs, I'd find MOTD quite boring if I already knew the results (especially as the teams I really dislike have won), so I simply don't watch the evening football and do something else. The only hazard IS the news just minutes before, because, as has been said, you're just lowering your guard when they go to the results.
  • Options
    rachelgatarachelgata Posts: 835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hate with a passion that twee, whimsical background "music" they have to put on everything these days. Think of things like Desperate Housewives, which was the first thing I noticed it in. they even have it on that Bake Off programme now and it drives me insane. In fact I either won't watch things that have it, or will watch them on mute.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    mikebuk wrote: »

I actually like to try to not know the results if i'm going to sit down to watch MOTD.
    A few times last season it was posters on DS who spoiled it for me. I avoided the football forum but then a poster will just randomly post a result or some info that will give away something in a thread which as nothing to do with football.
  • Options
    allafixallafix Posts: 20,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sports programmes like MOTD2 where they show brief highlights of games from a previous day with a slow frame rate filmic effect and arty edits. They have the game in high definition video, why show it as if it was shot by a hand held 16mm camera?

This has been happening for years. When C4 first started showing American Football, the featured game was shown as extended highlights in broadcast quality, the highlights of other games were shown with the filmic effect. :(

In fact any TV production which deliberately distorts the sound or image for artistic effect. If you want to make a show look like it was shot on film shoot it on film and get the full benefit. If it was shot on video, show it on video. Don't add "wobbly cam" and jump zooms created in the edit.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The way all these Brazilians on TV right now keep mispronouncing 'Brazil'. It's 'Bra-zil', not 'Braa-seeuw'. Get it right! >:(
  • Options
    Ess_BeeEss_Bee Posts: 7,716
    Forum Member
    Andrew Marr constantly interrupting his guests when they're trying to answer his questions. I think he fancies himself as the next J Paxman!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ess_Bee wrote: »
    Andrew Marr constantly interrupting his guests when they're trying to answer his questions. I think he fancies himself as the next J Paxman!
    The worst interviewer i've ever seen was Tim Sebastian when he hosted HardTalk.

Specifically an interview with Tom Jones when he wouldn't let him go a sentence without interrupting,
  • Options
    Forum Member
    McEnroe doing the VO for Wimbledon say "twenny thrd June"

It's the twenty third of June!!!
  • Options
    Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,406
    Forum Member
    This is the BBC news at six - or - This is the ITV news at one.

No it isn't - it is "the News from" the BBC/ ITV / ITN .

The BBC news at one - would be news about the BBC, at one o'clock.

The news is the news - it is not "yours".
    You are bringing it to us - it is not about you.

I am sure it was never like this in days gone by
    The 9 o' clock news
    News at 10

no egos involved back then.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Soap promos that I do not give two pieces of monkey crap about. BBC stop acting as if its real life cos it isnt.
  • Options
    IcePhoenixIcePhoenix Posts: 26
    Forum Member
    GRC wrote: »
    Continuity announcers talking/shouting over end credits, especially when the end credit is part of a music documentary, and the specially-composed end credit music forms part of the show.

^^^^^^this! :mad:

Also, I hate it when the BBC especially have start of some documentaries filmed against the backdrop of a grey sky and somewhere run down! :(
  • Options
    EStaffs90EStaffs90 Posts: 13,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stuff popping up during the football on BBC One (saying "choose audio" or something) - I know I can push "Back up" to get rid of it, but I wish I didn't have to.
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The people in the corner of the screen who ruin the programme by pulling stupid faces and making imaginary shadow puppets. There's a button on the remote to turn on the subtitles!!! :mad: That's what they're provided for!!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GRC wrote: »
    Continuity announcers talking/shouting over end credits, especially when the end credit is part of a music documentary, and the specially-composed end credit music forms part of the show.

In other words Blockbusters credits.
  • Options
    SillyBoyBlueSillyBoyBlue Posts: 3,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TV news' obsession with showing people whose identity is supposed to be a secret. Sometimes it's the voice and accent they allow, sometimes it's the back of their head and a bit of their profile, sometimes it's the room around them

Or close-ups of wringing hands to indicate stress or upset from the interviewee.

And whenever you get a news item about schools, you see shots of pupils' legs walking along. Just legs.
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Steve9214 wrote: »
    This is the BBC news at six - or - This is the ITV news at one.

No it isn't - it is "the News from" the BBC/ ITV / ITN .

The BBC news at one - would be news about the BBC, at one o'clock.

The news is the news - it is not "yours".
    You are bringing it to us - it is not about you.

I am sure it was never like this in days gone by
    The 9 o' clock news
    News at 10

no egos involved back then.

BBC News at Six sounds much worse now because of BBC News Channel. Its technically joining BBC News 24/Channel for 30 mins so why pretend this is separate?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I was thinking about this last night because of the world cup games News at 6, News at 10 are not required.

Just call them The News.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It doesn't happen so much these days but in the early series the when Andy Parsons use to walk to the mic stand the audience would laugh.

I always found that annoying.
  • Options
    ReddybookReddybook Posts: 281
    Forum Member
    Loud music in drama. Do we really need it ALL the way through? Due to the fact that we all ike to hear what the actors are saying, but it really is intrusive. We didn't have this twenty or thirty years ago. The American networks are just as guilty, as when I'm watching a film, music is always included, and I can't hear what they're saying.
    Recapping. Lazy and cheap production
    More and more ads.
    My husband is a soap fan, and he gets really agitated if the soaps don't start on time. He's forever looking at the time when the programme is late. He's probably nervous about missing the start of the next soap.
    So much TV is unwatchable, now.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I Imagine this has already been mentioned but I've not read through the thread in its entirety.

I *hate* the huge pauses before answers / results etc are announced.

They don't build tension, they don't add excitement, they are a boring tedious cliche