Options

External Hard Drive Problems

stairwaystairway Posts: 1,500
Forum Member
✭✭✭
When i connect my external hard drive to my computer, it doesn't recognise it, the power light is on, but it doesn't show any folders on it, where as the day before it worked perfectly, help please.

Comments

• Options
    StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have you looked in Disk Management to see if it has been assigned a drive letter?
  • Options
    cp2cp2 Posts: 957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is it a usb3 Drive?
    Have you applied any Windows updates to your computer? Maybe your usb drivers have been updated.
    Have you tried the drive in a different usb port, ideally one that will be on a different motherboard header?
    Can you try the drive on a different computer?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stig wrote: »
    Have you looked in Disk Management to see if it has been assigned a drive letter?

Yes, and it hasn't been assigned a drive letter, whereas before it did have one
  • Options
    JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have an external USB drive permanently plugged into my PC which I use for backup. On rare occasions, the system doesn't recognise it and Control Panel Devices and Printers shows an unknown device.

I don't know why this happens, but a reboot puts it right. Perhaps your computer is having a similar bad day! What happens after a reboot?

(Suggestion courtesy of The IT Crowd. :D)
  • Options
    StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stairway wrote: »
    Yes, and it hasn't been assigned a drive letter, whereas before it did have one

If you can see the drive in Disk Management, then just give it a drive letter. Windows sometimes gets confused if you add/remove various USB drives.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JeffG1 wrote: »
    I have an external USB drive permanently plugged into my PC which I use for backup. On rare occasions, the system doesn't recognise it and Control Panel Devices and Printers shows an unknown device.

I don't know why this happens, but a reboot puts it right. Perhaps your computer is having a similar bad day! What happens after a reboot?

(Suggestion courtesy of The IT Crowd. :D)

Still the same.
    Mine was permanently plugged in, and it worked OK this morning, then when i booted up later on this happened.
  • Options
    RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Go back into disk management. (press Windows key + R, type diskmgmt.msc)

Right click the partition and Change letter to assign one.

Or if your drive has become 'Unallocated' (all appears empty)

Then use Partition Wizard's Partition Recovery.
    http://download.cnet.com/MiniTool-Partition-Wizard-Home-Edition/3000-2094_4-10962200.html
  • Options
    nomad2kingnomad2king Posts: 8,415
    Forum Member
    Sounds like a drive/power management issue. After a period of inactivity the drive goes into "sleep" mode. If any utilities came with the drive, check to see if there is something like a sleep timer setting.

Sometimes if there is a problem that other people are likely to have encountered themselves, I find a Google search can often help. Another option is to check the manufacturers website for FAQs and support.