Options

Severe Disablement Allowance

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17
Forum Member
I have received SDA for many years. It was abolished in 2001, however anyone receiving it before would continue to receive it, I still get mine on a quarterly basis. I been reading about ESA but I'm a little confused as to whether this will replace SDA, or whether I will continue to get this benefit. I wonder if anyone knows

Comments

• Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    https://www.gov.uk/severe-disablement-allowance

According to this, it seems your claim will eventually be re-assessed and converted to ESA, which is paid every two weeks.

Given that they still have until about 2017 or 2018 to convert the remaining incapacity benefit claimants to ESA this might all not happen for quite some time yet.

There's a massive backlog and the whole thing appears to be existentially delayed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I filled in a form a few weeks ago relating to my benefits, not sure if it was DLA, SDA, or both. I know that some people are being asked to go to Exeter to be interviewed. My condition is permanent, I do get annoyed when I get asked the same questions each year relating to benefits. I know that they've got to make sure that people are getting what they need, plus ensuring that people don't cheat the system. But surely people like myself of the spinal cord injury should be flagged as having a Pamela disability that won't change, that would save them thousands of pounds a year, surely.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I filled in a form a few weeks ago relating to my benefits, not sure if it was DLA, SDA, or both. I know that some people are being asked to go to Exeter to be interviewed. My condition is permanent, I do get annoyed when I get asked the same questions each year relating to benefits. I know that they've got to make sure that people are getting what they need, plus ensuring that people don't cheat the system. But surely people like myself of the spinal cord injury should be flagged as having a Pamela disability that won't change, that would save them thousands of pounds a year, surely.

There's no system in place for somebody to be flagged as 'never needing reassessment again'. Voters and Tories didn't want this to be something which was possible.

Every and any claim for ESA and DLA/PIP is now ultimately liable for re-assessment eventually. If you're lucky they should only call you up every couple of years (as opposed to 'yearly' checks).

Yes, it defies economic sense and common sense for permanent chronic conditions, but this is what happens when decisions are made based on emotive knee-jerks as opposed to reason and sanity.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Let's say that my SDA does eventually change to ESA, can one assume that the payments will remain the same and rise accordingly each year?

I'm sorry if this is a question that Is impossible to answer, I was just wondering as you seem to know quite a bit about this :-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Let's say that my SDA does eventually change to ESA, can one assume that the payments will remain the same and rise accordingly each year?

I'm sorry if this is a question that Is impossible to answer, I was just wondering as you seem to know quite a bit about this :-)

It's my understanding that if you are on a pre-existing benefit such as SDA or IB then the amount will be a protected legacy rate, but over time will be equalised by running the yearly increases at less than inflation.

So yeah, initially it'll be the same but over time will very slowly decline a bit in real terms.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    https://www.gov.uk/employment-support-allowance/further-information

I think this probably answers my question as well as anything

Sorry, I posted the same time as you. Yes, I think you are probably just saying exactly the same thing.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Like yourself I have a spinal condition (Spina Bifida) that will not suddenly disappear, in fact my condition is getting more severe as I get older

What do you mean by a Pamela disability? I have never heard of it despite being disabled all my life
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member

That's pretty much the case and the rates of ESA Support Group can be seen here https://www.gov.uk/employment-support-allowance/what-youll-get and they are uprated annually. In addition, a person might be eligible for Personal Independence Payments (see https://www.gov.uk/pip) which would be paid on top of the ESA claim.
  • Options
    sheltsshelts Posts: 511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    There's no system in place for somebody to be flagged as 'never needing reassessment again'. Voters and Tories didn't want this to be something which was possible.

Every and any claim for ESA and DLA/PIP is now ultimately liable for re-assessment eventually. If you're lucky they should only call you up every couple of years (as opposed to 'yearly' checks).

Yes, it defies economic sense and common sense for permanent chronic conditions, but this is what happens when decisions are made based on emotive knee-jerks as opposed to reason and sanity.

They used to though, I had a letter that stated exactly that! but it is now 'obsolete' I asked how can it be obsolete? I have it right here.......what she meant was 'we lied and we don't use that particular wording any more, therefore it does not count' doesn't mean that my condition is any different, however I have twice filled in the forms and have not been called for any assessment or medical,
  • Options
    TWSTWS Posts: 9,307
    Forum Member
    purplecatz wrote: »
    Like yourself I have a spinal condition (Spina Bifida) that will not suddenly disappear, in fact my condition is getting more severe as I get older

What do you mean by a Pamela disability? I have never heard of it despite being disabled all my life

I assumed it was some kind of autocorrect mishap from the word permanent
  • Options
    SherbetLemonSherbetLemon Posts: 4,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shelts wrote: »
    They used to though, I had a letter that stated exactly that! but it is now 'obsolete' I asked how can it be obsolete? I have it right here.......what she meant was 'we lied and we don't use that particular wording any more, therefore it does not count' doesn't mean that my condition is any different, however I have twice filled in the forms and have not been called for any assessment or medical,
    Is that the "indefinite" DLA award letter? My sister has that, but still had to complete a review form every 3-4 years, so it was never truly indefinite without assessment of some sort. I don't think she was ever given forms to re-assess her SDA.

I'm surprised that SDA is being replaced by ESA. To qualify for SDA, you had to be at least 80% disabled, and so are unlikely to be fit for employment.

Also, so much for them amalgamating benefits to make it easier. Any disabled people like my sister, who gets SDA, DLA & IS, will eventually get ESA, PIP & UC. It's still 3 benefits; just a different name for each!
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Is that the "indefinite" DLA award letter? My sister has that, but still had to complete a review form every 3-4 years, so it was never truly indefinite without assessment of some sort. I don't think she was ever given forms to re-assess her SDA.

I'm surprised that SDA is being replaced by ESA. To qualify for SDA, you had to be at least 80% disabled, and so are unlikely to be fit for employment.

Also, so much for them amalgamating benefits to make it easier. Any disabled people like my sister, who gets SDA, DLA & IS, will eventually get ESA, PIP & UC. It's still 3 benefits; just a different name for each!

Isn't ESA being replaced by UC (Universal Credit) when it comes in?

I was on SDA IS, but am now in the ESA Support group.
  • Options
    woppy101woppy101 Posts: 28
    Forum Member
    We have just been told my wife has been getting SDA since 2002 when we got married( before that she got income support and SDA) but we have never received a penny the only thing my wife gets is DLA, the woman was adamant that the claim was active and the money should have been paid but can't understand why no money has been paid, this should be fun to sort out:(. The woman says we should get some money back but I can see it :(
  • Options
    oathyoathy Posts: 32,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    woppy101 wrote: »
    We have just been told my wife has been getting SDA since 2002 when we got married( before that she got income support and SDA) but we have never received a penny the only thing my wife gets is DLA, the woman was adamant that the claim was active and the money should have been paid but can't understand why no money has been paid, this should be fun to sort out:(. The woman says we should get some money back but I can see it :(

100% Get the MP in on this as well as Citizens Advice bureau.
    you are talking a serious amount of money there
  • Options
    woppy101woppy101 Posts: 28
    Forum Member
    oathy wrote: »
    100% Get the MP in on this as well as Citizens Advice bureau.
    you are talking a serious amount of money there

Our luck doesn't work that way, I'm sure they will find a way to not pay it :(
  • Options
    BowdonBowdon Posts: 705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry to add my 2 pennies worth on this thread. I've been having to fill an Income Support review form out over the last 2 days and I thought, and had previously declared, that I get SDA. I'm perminently disabled, have been all my life. But while I can see the DLA and IS is paid in to my account, I've noticed I havent had a SDA payment.

So my question, Is SDA paid in to the account seperately from the other benefits? With DLA and IS it shows the amount and DLA or IS on the reference. Should I also be having an SDA payment listed too?
  • Options
    marieukxxmarieukxx Posts: 4,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have received SDA for many years. It was abolished in 2001, however anyone receiving it before would continue to receive it, I still get mine on a quarterly basis. I been reading about ESA but I'm a little confused as to whether this will replace SDA, or whether I will continue to get this benefit. I wonder if anyone knows

You will have to apply for ESA. I had to do this for my mum when she got a letter through about the switch. I had to fill out the forms for her all over again and do the whole claim fresh. It was a pain in the ass and annoying as she'd been on SDA years but she got the ESA without having to have any medical or anything.

You will get a letter when they get round to switching yours over and they send you the form to fill in. I also asked her doctor for medical prooff of her situation and he wrote a letter which I collected at the reception and included when I sent her form off for the ESA.

She is very ill and was worried about a medical but she didn't have to have one. We just got a letter saying she was awarded the ESA and how much it was.

I actually started a thread on here about it when we had the letter through saying she had to do a fresh claim for the ESA. I was funing as she'd been on SDA donkeys years and was worried about filling in the forms and then a medical as she's mentally very ill and not with it. But it was all fine in the end, although a hassle.
  • Options
    oathyoathy Posts: 32,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The SDA/ESA conversions appear to have picked up a pace some of the people at the local Centre all had the Letter then the phone call that starts the process all within a few weeks of each other.
  • Options
    SherbetLemonSherbetLemon Posts: 4,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bowdon wrote: »
    So my question, Is SDA paid in to the account seperately from the other benefits? With DLA and IS it shows the amount and DLA or IS on the reference. Should I also be having an SDA payment listed too?
    Yes, SDA is separate and is abbreviated as such on the credit in your bank account, in the same way DLA & IS are.