Options

Office 2010

Comments

• Options
    PuckyPucky Posts: 4,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nope, still not working. Now I'm getting an install error, with 0x8007005, Error 1935.

I am seriously peed off with this now. I've just wasted £60 on software that I can't bluddy install and there is ZERO support from Microsoft right now.

Not Happy
  • Options
    DotNetWillDotNetWill Posts: 4,564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    0x8007005 is access denied. What OS are you using and do you have admin rights?
  • Options
    Liam StevenLiam Steven Posts: 2,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pucky wrote: »
    Nope, still not working. Now I'm getting an install error, with 0x8007005, Error 1935.

I am seriously peed off with this now. I've just wasted £60 on software that I can't bluddy install and there is ZERO support from Microsoft right now.

Not Happy

Considering that you've used a copy from the microsoft website I think we can safely rule out corrupt media.

There can only be two possible reasons you're having these issues:

1. You're not using an Administrator account and/or the permissions are not set correctly on the 'Program Files' folder.

Have you tried manually running the program with administrative privileges by right clicking on the setup.exe file and selecting "Run as Administrator?"

2. Something went wrong when you upgraded from Windows Vista. I never trust upgrades as they never go as smooth as they are supposed to.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Considering that you've used a copy from the microsoft website I think we can safely rule out corrupt media.

There can only be two possible reasons you're having these issues:

1. You're not using an Administrator account and/or the permissions are not set correctly on the 'Program Files' folder.

Have you tried manually running the program with administrative privileges by right clicking on the setup.exe file and selecting "Run as Administrator?"

2. Something went wrong when you upgraded from Windows Vista. I never trust upgrades as they never go as smooth as they are supposed to.

Was having a little rant last night so sorry to all!!

Looks like it's my install of Win 7 that was the problem.. So I've re-installed Vista and am running the upgrade back to Win 7 now, then I'm going to install Office before I install anything else. I need some of the pre-installed s/w that came on my laptop so a clean install isn't possible as I can't get it anywhere else. I am an Admin and ensured that I had Admin rights on all folders and it still failed!

From what I found out it seemed to be a .NET Framework error and there's no other solution than to reinstall!

So thanks Liam for your help, I'll see what happens in a couple of hours after the upgrade is done!
  • Options
    ClarkF1ClarkF1 Posts: 6,587
    Forum Member
    Phew....I'm lucky

Bought it on 2nd March and installed it on 4th March and it was kind enough to let me have 2010 for free :D

Thought I'd missed out
  • Options
    Pugwash69Pugwash69 Posts: 3,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was using a trial version for a few months, and downloaded 2010 Plus from my MAPS subscription last month when I noticed it was out. I've been pleased with it but it just seems different, not especially better than 2007.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I somehow seemed to have made a mess of setting up my email so am going to leave Outlook well alone for a while!

However all is installed well and working fine!
  • Options
    OvalteenieOvalteenie Posts: 24,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just downloaded my free Office 2010 upgrade & it installed no problems. Well impressed with the first looks of it :)

Also ordered the DVD for £11.60 :)
  • Options
    technology_lovetechnology_love Posts: 3,179
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi all

I don't have a copy of any office version.
    I guess its full price for me at the shops?

Any offers or special deals I can utilise to get 2010?
  • Options
    RileyMRileyM Posts: 2,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi all

I don't have a copy of any office version.
    I guess its full price for me at the shops?

Any offers or special deals I can utilise to get 2010?

Yep, full price in shops. I don't know about many good deals apart from NHS staff can get it for just under £9 (downloadable version) from the Microsoft NHS Resource Centre as part of the Home User Programme
  • Options
    OvalteenieOvalteenie Posts: 24,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tesco are selling Home & Student Office 2010 for £88.

Amazon UK are doing it for £85.

You might get Office 2007 slightly cheaper & get a free upgrade to 2010, however beware this only applies to new purchases from authorised sources.

Tesco were selling H&S 2007 for less than £50 for a short period just before 2010 came out of beta... I snapped up the last copy in my local Tesco Extra a couple of months ago & did my free upgrade today :)
  • Options
    whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Daveoc64 wrote: »
    Indeed.

They've put the word "File" on the menu in the top left to make it clearer that you can actually click it.

In Office 2007, a lot of people thought it was just a logo.

It took me ages to work out how to open a file first time i saw ribbon office!!!
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pucky wrote: »
    I somehow seemed to have made a mess of setting up my email so am going to leave Outlook well alone for a while!

However all is installed well and working fine!

Generally I like Office 2010 but Outlook looks like they have left in half finished. The default colour scheme of grey upon grey doesn't work for me.

Also, the conversation view it a pain. The idea is fine, but it just bundles together all emails with the same subject which is frustrating when you have common subjects such as "Tomorrow's meeting", "Project update" or just a blank subject.
  • Options
    martytoomartytoo Posts: 1,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2007 had a useful feature under Office Tools 'Document Imaging' which was an OCR application enabling you to scan documents and convert them into editable Word Documents, this seems to have vanished under 2010 (unless it's so well hidden I can't find it). I still have the 2007 version though which works with 2010.
  • Options
    ClarkF1ClarkF1 Posts: 6,587
    Forum Member
    Nope....they took it out of 2010

You can change the colour scheme.

Open an application, click file, go to options and then choose your colour from the colour scheme - silver, blue or black
  • Options
    martytoomartytoo Posts: 1,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ClarkF1 wrote: »
    Nope....they took it out of 2010

You can change the colour scheme.

Open an application, click file, go to options and then choose your colour from the colour scheme - silver, blue or black

No doubt MS will launch an OCR application for Office for an extra fee!
  • Options
    Millie1366Millie1366 Posts: 467
    Forum Member
    I am having to decided on which new machine but in the meantime your thoughts would be appreciated.

I like Office (have OEM versions from Dell) so would prefer Outlook again and I think it would be the Small business version.

My Mum who is 92 wants a new laptop and she will be upgrading, like me to Win8, so I will be on my own learning curve and taking her calls!!!

If I buy again from Dell they will sell me a OEM again so I think (not sure if I am right) -

1. It would be best to buy my own Office so that I could upgrade in future.
    2. Would there be an option to buy Office with say 2 users cheaper than 2 separate purchases.
    3. Why do I see free download fro Office 2010?

Thank you
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Millie1366 wrote: »
    2. Would there be an option to buy Office with say 2 users cheaper than 2 separate purchases.

If i remember correctly, the retail version of Office allow installation on two PCs for each license. Or at least they used to, not sure if that is still the case with Office 2013 though.
  • Options
    StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How about Office365 Home for up to 5 PCs

http://office.microsoft.com/en-gb/office365home/
  • Options
    gds1972gds1972 Posts: 6,613
    Forum Member
    Stig wrote: »

I don't like the idea of the subscription based Office 365 I would still prefer to buy the Home & Student version or use one of the free office programs such as Libreoffice.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stig wrote: »

I would suggest this as well, but didnt mention it as from what i've read online, some people are against the subscription model.

I however have no concerns with it, and have thus subscribed myself.
  • Options
    NewWorldManNewWorldMan Posts: 4,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gds1972 wrote: »
    I don't like the idea of the subscription based Office 365 I would still prefer to buy the Home & Student version or use one of the free office programs such as Libreoffice.

It's not a matter of what you like, it's what the OP likes. Let's see what she comes back with.
  • Options
    Millie1366Millie1366 Posts: 467
    Forum Member
    I have just looked at the link. No I don't like the subscription idea.

The problem is I have been used to Word and all my documents are saved in this also I like Outlook for e-mails. I also use Excel - so not familiar with other programs just so out of touch. So this will need to be transferred to new machine.

The free version of Libreoffice - would that be OK for my Mum I wonder? She hasn't really any docs saved - at the moment I am trying to encourage her to write about her life/family. She uses Hotmail so Outlook isn't her issue.
  • Options
    paulj48paulj48 Posts: 1,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Millie1366 wrote: »
    The free version of Libreoffice - would that be OK for my Mum I wonder? She hasn't really any docs saved - at the moment I am trying to encourage her to write about her life/family. She uses Hotmail so Outlook isn't her issue.

Is Wordpad still included with WIndows these days? works perfectly well as a basic word processor.
  • Options
    StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RileyM wrote: »
    I would suggest this as well, but didnt mention it as from what i've read online, some people are against the subscription model.

I however have no concerns with it, and have thus subscribed myself.

Office 2013 Home and Business is £160+ for one PC

Office365 Home is £7/month for 5 PCs. Even less of you buy annually up front.

Even with just one PC it's the same cost if you upgrade every 2 years. I don't see what people are 'against' :confused:

Some people pay £30/month for a mobile phone or Sky.