Options

The Spice Girls are 95% confirmed to perform for the London 2012 Closing Ceremony.

Comments

• Options
    kenny12kenny12 Posts: 1,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Their music hasn't lived on though, it's not selling anymore. The solo careers have all but disappeared, no-one but fans want to hear them, and they're a big minority.

Their music hasn't lived on?

Yet a huge new Musical written by Judy Craymer (Mamma Mia!) and Jennifer Saunders is about to open...

There seemed to be enough fans still knocking around in 2007 for them to sell out 47 tour dates and gross over $70 Million.

lol
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Theshane wrote: »
    Seriously?
    Haters gonna hate.
    Grow up.

The Spice Girls were a miracle of marketing aimed at teen girls who could identify with at least one of them. Then they became a brand sticking their face on anything and everything from lunch boxes to dolls and t-shirts. They became a product much like the boys equivalent, Teenage Turtles earlier in the decade.
    As for their music. Their back catalogue is about as remarkable a Boyzones was. Just because it sold a lot, it doesn't make a song any better.

And the Sex Pistols were hand picked and plonked together in a bid to appeal to the oh so anarchic and alternative punk types.

Welcome to showbusiness.

You're free to enjoy whatever music you like, perhaps pure pop isn't really your bag. Maybe you should move on and find something that you do enjoy.

At the end of the day, it all boils down to personal taste.

But if the Spice Girls' (and their writers- Absolute, Stannard and Rowe, Elliot Kennedy) music was of no merit then nobody in their right mind would pour millions of pounds into creating a Stage Show based on their songs, let alone one of the most successful Musical producers of the last 20 years, Judy Craymer.
  • Options
    GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zone_Out wrote: »
    Music doesn't have to still sell there's plenty of sings that don't sell but you will still hear every now and again today!
    What have their solo careers got to do with it

Yeah, but if it's not selling, and your just talking about people remembering them, then 1000s of bands can say to have lived on.

We've many great artistes from past and present, The Who, Kinks, Stones, Zeppelin, Beatles, Blur, Coldplay, Oasis, Blur, Adele, Emelie Sand, Florence Welch, M.I.A, plus many others, Why not them instead of this two-album wonder, from the nineties.
  • Options
    WillardWillard Posts: 496
    Forum Member
    kenny12 wrote: »
    Haters back off.

Miranda? LOL

I think for the Olympics it should be a celebration of all things British, like when they were in Sydney they had Kylie Minogue performing and that was in 2000 when she had only just started getting hits again, but she's clearly an Australian figure...Spice Girls are like that too.

I find when they have these things, whenever they get someone who is sort of new and not really established that's when it's an issue but when the artist has or is known and is tied to the country somehow I think it's right.

Spice Girls have earned they place and not just as a product but they were always about being proud to be British and that was part of their culture, so I get why this is as it is, I think it would be cool if they did perform, I never understood why they split up permanently...like plenty of other groups still get together, look at Take That etc but hey ho! I hope this is true, be good to see them!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This would do nicely...

followed by this
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No bad comments.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 189
    Forum Member
    There was a post about Spice Girls fans only ever being children - I was 21 when they first came out and I've loved them ever since. When I went to the reunion gigs I took several of my 30 something mates - all men!

Yes they had girl fans but also boy fans - gay and straight. Let's not pigeon hole who their fans were and still are.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 189
    Forum Member
    PS - Love the idea Kenny! Spice Up Your Life and Viva Forever - sure winners!
  • Options
    TheshaneTheshane Posts: 1,815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And the Sex Pistols were hand picked and plonked together in a bid to appeal to the oh so anarchic and alternative punk types.

Welcome to showbusiness.

You're free to enjoy whatever music you like, perhaps pure pop isn't really your bag. Maybe you should move on and find something that you do enjoy.

At the end of the day, it all boils down to personal taste.

But if the Spice Girls' (and their writers- Absolute, Stannard and Rowe, Elliot Kennedy) music was of no merit then nobody in their right mind would pour millions of pounds into creating a Stage Show based on their songs, let alone one of the most successful Musical producers of the last 20 years, Judy Craymer.

Having their songs used in a musical doesn't give or cement their merit.
    All it shows is that someone has seen another possible income stream for the Spice Girl Brand.

Oh and the Sex Pistols were not 'plonked' together.
    They were a band that went through line up changes. They sacked a singer and brought in Lydon and then after Matlock left Vicious joined. Pretty much every band in history is littered with former members, the Beatles had Best and Sutcliff. The stones started of with a different drummer. So I don't see your point nor how the Sex Pistols even came into it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All it shows is that someone has seen another possible income stream for the Spice Girl Brand.

Oh and the Sex Pistols were not 'plonked' together.
    They were a band that went through line up changes. They sacked a singer and brought in Lydon and then after Matlock left Vicious joined. Pretty much every band in history is littered with former members, the Beatles had Best and Sutcliff. The stones started of with a different drummer. So I don't see your point nor how the Sex Pistols even came into it.

Lydon was spotted by Bernard Rhodes, The Sex Pistols manager, he was picked and introduced to the group purely because Rhodes thought he had the right look.
    How much more manufactured can you get?
    The Sex Pistols were tied to a concrete contract with EMI and had very little creative control of the group.

The Spice Girls were initially auditioned by Bob and Chris Herbert who wanted to form a 'female Take That' with 5 girls dressed the same and one lead singer.

The Girls had the foresight and gall not to sign any contracts and pulled a midnight flit and managed themselves, Travelling the country contacting songwriters, producers and prospective managers in Geri's Fiat Uno.
    They had the idea to play up to each others differences feeling that it was something that had never been done before with a girl group.
    They eventually hired Simon Fuller who certainly deserves credit for how he managed the group during the peak of their success but ultimately, he simply nourished the concept that the girls had already come up with themselves
    By the time they were touting for a record deal, such was the buzz that they had created, all but one of the major UK record labels were vying to sign them.
    This meant that the (pretty legendary) contracts that the girls managed to negotiate with Virgin ensured that the five girls maintained ultimate ownership and control of the brand. The terms of the contract were basically unprecedented for a newly signed act.

So my point is, regarding The Sex Pistols and The Spice Girls, who were the industry puppets?

As for the music, again, it's just personal taste but, frankly, you cannot make a stage show with 'bad' songs.
    They may not be to your taste but it doesn't mean that they aren't good pop songs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The musical is an original script that simply uses the Spice Girls music as a framework to the story.

Most people aren't going to go and see this show for the 'Spice Brand' but because it's a fantastic story by Jen Saunders and the music is genuinely brilliant modern pop.

Wait until you see it before writing it off, Spice World ll it aint.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The international press now picking up on the story.. Makes me miss being back home slightly but very glad to be in London right now!

US Weekly

NBC

Hollywood Reporter

USA Huffington Post

Entertainmentwise

Still waiting on Perez... apparently he's been digging for a bit of an exclusive. Good Luck with that :rolleyes:
  • Options
    AdzPowerAdzPower Posts: 4,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Posh doesnt wanna do it then why force her? Its not as if anyone will miss her dreary, flat vocals, give her parts to one of the members that can actually sing....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AdzPower wrote: »
    If Posh doesnt wanna do it then why force her? Its not as if anyone will miss her dreary, flat vocals, give her parts to one of the members that can actually sing....

You're a few weeks late old boy... all five have agreed to do it.
  • Options
    RayofLightRayofLight Posts: 580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AdzPower wrote: »

I'd sooner hear Posh sing live than Geri... Posh CAN sing, Geri really REALLY can't.
  • Options
    simmersimmer Posts: 953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really hope this is true and something is confirmed shortly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RayofLight wrote: »
    I'd sooner hear Posh sing live than Geri... Posh CAN sing, Geri really REALLY can't.

Voice of an angel
  • Options
    RayofLightRayofLight Posts: 580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The more I see that over the years, the more I think it's so painfully average... it's so corny... you can actually imagine one of those voice-overs on it that they have on the shopping channels when they're selling a five disc compilation album...

"With Calling... 2 Become 1, Lift Me Up... Say YOU'LL Be there and order now for just $24.99... and if you order now you'll get the bonus party CD with festive hits such as Rocking Around The Christmas Tree and disco classic Blame It On The Boogie... all sung in an average way for easy singing along... Order your copy now, the four copies printed are guaranteed to sell quickly!"

Sorry but with Geri I always feel I need to be mean lol :o
  • Options
    gpkgpk Posts: 10,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^still its better than victoria could do, imagine her doing a solo medley.:eek: there`s not a lot in it, but geri has the better voice live. victoria rarely sang live when she went solo and even when she did, either most of the song was spoken words or some other carefully chosen track that didn't expose her too much.:D
  • Options
    johnythefoxjohnythefox Posts: 1,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I seriously hope this isn't going to happen, it will be so embarrasing and with all the world's media looking on.

If five middle aged women trying to squeeze into tight dresses, mimng away to 15 year old very average pop songs, is what we are showing off as british culture and music, then I despair, I really do.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it's okay for Jagger, Cliff and rest of the old boys the wrong side of 60 to wobble out and make everyone cringe then it's okay to bring out the spice girls in their mid-late 30s!
    There is room for everyone. Why not celebrate the biggest girl group of all time of one of your most internationally recognised exports?
    How dull would the concert be if it was all one genre of music.

One thing I've noticed about you Brits... You love a good moan.

Lighten up!
  • Options
    dazn12dazn12 Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    If it's okay for Jagger, Cliff and rest of the old boys the wrong side of 60 to wobble out and make everyone cringe then it's okay to bring out the spice girls in their mid-late 30s!
    There is room for everyone. Why not celebrate the biggest girl group of all time of one of your most internationally recognised exports?
    How dull would the concert be if it was all one genre of music.

One thing I've noticed about you Brits... You love a good moan.

Lighten up!

This ^^^

The Olympics opening and closing ceremonies are supposed to showcase artists that have played a huge role in the British music industry, both past and present and no matter what haters say, The Spice Girls dominated the music scene in the late 90s and we are yet to see another girl group to match their success, if ever that will happen which I can't say is likely.

I for one am quite ticked off that One Direction have made the playlist for the opening ceremony. So they won't be performing but even so, The Spice Girls are 100 times more deserving to be featured then these teenagers who no doubt we'll have forgotten about in 2-3 years.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, should be fun :D
  • Options
    johnythefoxjohnythefox Posts: 1,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kargo wrote: »
    no matter what haters say, The Spice Girls dominated the music scene in the late 90s

Firstly, the word 'haters' is quite possibly the most childish way to describe someone who has a different opinion to yours and you instantly lose any credibility to your argument..and secondly, unless you were under 10, the Spice Girls certainly did not 'dominate' the music scene in the late 90's unless you mean they were the most marketed and manufactured act of the late 90's. There have been acts that have dominated decades of in music that are more worthy of representing british music.
  • Options
    johnboybetterjohnboybetter Posts: 1,407
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hope they get to do loads of songs not just two, maybe a medley of 7 or 8.