The Wright way

Comments

• mikebukmikebuk Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A lot of Mr Bean there, especially the bits in the mens room.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 261
    Forum Member
    Give the bloody thing a chance its only just started.
    Episode One!
    I thought it was funny.

It gets less funny.
  • Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
    Forum Member
    mikebuk wrote: »
    No you are thinking of Sue Perkins and Colin Murray, separated at birth. :)

All 3 are one schizophrenic cross-dresser.
  • BeachhhhhhhBeachhhhhhh Posts: 475
    Forum Member
    I liked it.
  • Rowan HedgeRowan Hedge Posts: 3,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A few things wrong with it, poor script, nepotism and full of stereotypes, i see Jennifer Saunders daughter has a plum role, surprise surprise.

It was dire, i thought it was a Carla Lane dirge, it makes the Royal Bodyguard look good.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    trunkster wrote: »
    Nepotism at the bbc, never!!!!!

And she says she is no Saffy, well thats right because the actress who plays Saffy has talent, Saunders daughter cant act and her man face is very distracting. Get it off tv now.

As for that Joanne moron, she acts like she is a parody of Kellie Bright when she was a child star in The Upper Hand, and looks like she has the same make up artist as Nick Knowles
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Episode One!
    I thought it was funny.

Your easily pleased then :D
  • SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I recognised the actress playing the cleaner and found out that she is former X Factor contestant Brenda Edwards. She was doing quite well for herself...now reduced to this pap.
  • axlgodaxlgod Posts: 658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought it was pretty good.
  • TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Trying to think of one thing that was good about this, and the only thing I can come up with is that is only half an hour long.
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ollie_h19 wrote: »
    I now cant wait to watch this on iPlayer tomorrow. Shades of 'When The Whistle Blows', perchance?

Strangely enough, I kept being reminded of WTWB all the way through, to the point when I was expecting thingy, the main character, to exclaim "you're 'aving a laugh".
  • Brian_GravesBrian_Graves Posts: 85
    Forum Member
    As has been noted the punny, name based-double-meaning title has, over the last 20 years, become a sign of bad comedy, the parody of which should even have become tired by now (but somehow isn't). It's just one sign that Elton's finger has not been on the pulse of comedy since 1985.

And if you are going to go with that title scheme, 'The Wright Way' is the laziest, most overdone example I could have come up with. Urgh.
  • mikebukmikebuk Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SuperAPJ wrote: »
    I recognised the actress playing the cleaner and found out that she is former X Factor contestant Brenda Edwards. She was doing quite well for herself...now reduced to this pap.

Playing the over the top comedy domestic who could probably get her own series / slight racial stereotype who we can laugh at but might feel guilty if we aren't from that culture.
  • Davetherave70Davetherave70 Posts: 553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    djonshore wrote: »
    Not a bad comedy. Seen worse.

I agree, too many people already decided to hate this before it aired.

At least it's something a bit different for that time of night.
  • pinkyponk34pinkyponk34 Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Elton is rehashing his old stand up stuff, he was doing a routine about public toilet taps and hand driers back in the 80s.
  • bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And she says she is no Saffy, well thats right because the actress who plays Saffy has talent, Saunders daughter cant act and her man face is very distracting. Get it off tv now.

As for that Joanne moron, she acts like she is a parody of Kellie Bright when she was a child star in The Upper Hand, and looks like she has the same make up artist as Nick Knowles

Sadly yes she does really look like her dad. Look at this vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_30mqmWMvbs
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All things being equal, I am sure that the series could be good, great or even excellent, if only had the BBC spiked the amateur, ham fisted production during the commission stage.

Far better that the BBC had commissioned an innovative programme, with superior writing and production, rather than such a pathetic effort suitable only as a Tax Write Off.
  • mrsmoosemrsmoose Posts: 2,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I quite liked this, I enjoyed the scenes at work alot, they were the funniest.
    However the 2 women who play his daughter and her girlfriend were really annoying, I think it was their put on accents that grated on me the most.

Also, it was very predictable, you could see the ending coming a mile off, but i still enjoyed it. Good lighthearted comedy.
  • spookyLXspookyLX Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I re watched on Iplayer it is still bad BUT I admit there have been worse shows The Royal Bodyguard was actually worse than this .

It does mystify me to why it was deemed exceptable to show this on BBC1, I would of put it on BBC3 or two at a push . .

Anyway I won't be tuning in next week but those who enjoyed it I hope it gets a bit better
  • Brass Drag0nBrass Drag0n Posts: 5,046
    Forum Member
    In future, whenever I see that toothpaste (?) advert where the young woman has blood running from her eyes I'm going to think "You've been watching The Wright Way".
  • OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been a fan of Ben Elton since 'The Young Ones' and Blackadder, plus several very clever novels, but after watching this, I fear he may have burnt himself out or run out of ideas.

Seemed very 80s to me. I was disappointed. :(
  • DVDfeverDVDfever Posts: 18,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Episode One!
    I thought it was funny.

Tell us which parts you found funny.

And I gave it the whole half hour. That's more than enough chance.
    I agree, too many people already decided to hate this before it aired.

That's the most pathetic 'argument' that gets trotted out. People watched it, they didn't laugh, and it was painfully unfunny. They didn't decide to hate it before it aired, they watched the proof for themselves.
  • ibattenibatten Posts: 418
    Forum Member
    DVDfever wrote: »
    And I gave it the whole half hour.

You won't get it back, you know.
  • BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,544
    Forum Member
    I saw a clip on The One Show and thought Oh Dear :o

I am just watching it now and am expecting Ricky Gervais character Ray Stokes to walk in :D

And as for the 'getting the water out the tap scene':mad: Oh Dear :yawn::sleep:
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I thought it was quite funny. Reminded me of 'The Thin Blue Line'.