Jeremy Paxman Quits Newsnight

Comments

• NosediveNosedive Posts: 6,600
    Forum Member
    Lenitive wrote: »
    I was just reading that this morning, before I even learned he was leaving. I also noticed that all Katz could talk about was ratings.

Paxo's looked miserable ever since Katz came on board with his dopey gimmicks. Wonder what went on behind the scenes.

Precisely. Hence my post:
    Nosedive wrote: »
    It's easy to believe that it was actually his resignation but could he have been asked to by the beeb? Too subversive, too opinionated, too agressive a style etc?

I agree it seems unlikely but isn't that how good PR works?
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GeorgeS wrote: »
    He'd become cliched and boring anyway. His insulting and baiting guests was so obvious you'd see through it a mile off

He is/was one of the very small number of interviewers who could rattle politicians, did not accept weasel words as an answer, and was never in awe of them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    occy wrote: »
    Newnight will have a complete overhaul and will be moved to the BBC News Channel. It will eventually fade away into the back and beyond of aunties archive shows.

Opinion based upon what exactly?
  • petelypetely Posts: 2,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lenitive wrote: »
    Wonder what went on behind the scenes.
    Judging by the gushing praise that Katz, Hall and all the other top weasels were dishing out, it's almost certain that Paxman was pushed.

A fly on the wall might have heard something like this: :D
    "Jeremy, maaaaaate. The politicians have told us they don't want you rocking the boat for the 2015 election - and what with the charter renewal coming up in 2016, well .... So how about you 'consider your position'. We're sure <fx>the nodding of all the other heads in the room</fx> that you'd like to be able to go to bed at a sensible time (even though you only do Newsnight for a couple of nights a week - the public's too stupid to see through that excuse). If you go quietly, let's say by next summer, we'll find you some nice cushy work instead. How do you fancy chairing University Challenge?"

Where's Spitting Image when you need it?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    petely wrote: »
    Judging by the gushing praise that Katz, Hall and all the other top weasels were dishing out, it's almost certain that Paxman was pushed.
    Here's a novel thought, perhaps Paxman IS highly-regarded, and perhaps that praise was sincere. And considering how outspoken he has been, would it not be rather odd if he was pushed and then kept quiet about it.

Still, you can't beat (or disprove) a neat little conspiracy theory.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spannersf1 wrote: »
    Didn't Dan Snow only get the job because his father (a certain Peter Snow) shoe horned him in?

Getting a First at Balliol in Modern History might be a factor in him doing documentaries about historical topics as well as him being quite good at it.
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Correct me if I`m wrong but doesn`t that leave NN entirely fronted by females only?

Danny Cohen will be THRILLED!

Come back Paxo - You`ll outlast that buffoon Katz!
  • burbeburbe Posts: 1,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm fairly sure Emily Maitlis will become the main presenter, maybe alongside Eddie Mair.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Kirsty Wark follow Jeremy out the door soon. Big losses for Newsnight with Gavin Esler and now Jeremy leaving in 2014.
  • BluescopeBluescope Posts: 3,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    Getting a First at Balliol in Modern History might be a factor in him doing documentaries about historical topics as well as him being quite good at it.

True Dan Snow is a classic Historian so he knows his subject well. He is more likely to have brought his father in the project but then again history and military matter runs in the family. So Peter I am sure knows the subject matter well I rather like their programs if I am honest.

In terms of news night I think he look bored doing the program. Often going through program under a degree of pain almost rather than seeming to enjoy it. Running out the same old questions to the usual faces almost trying to be to 'Paxman' in interviews to draw any value out of them. In truth the show does seen someone younger or at least more dynamic but maybe the show no longer as a place and should be retired.
  • ComputerComputer Posts: 2,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How long before he's the face of another relaunch for ITV's breakfast show, a hard hitting alternative to BBC and Sky? :D

Paxman has been a tired act for years now on Newsnight anyway, the interviews with Brand and Edmonds were tedious. I'd like to see Andrew Neil take his place, he's just as good at grilling guest but he doesn't come across as trying too hard.
  • yorksdaveyorksdave Posts: 3,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can see it now a rebrand as #Newsnight, at 11pm on BBC2, similcast on the BBC News Channel, just to show how committed the BBC is to the new show, viewers stop watching, 6 months down the line it is axed.

Or maybe this would have the same effect?

http://metro.co.uk/2014/04/30/piers-morgan-to-replace-paxo-on-newsnight-4714754/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yorksdave wrote: »
    I can see it now a rebrand as #Newsnight, at 11pm on BBC2, similcast on the BBC News Channel, just to show how committed the BBC is to the new show, viewers stop watching, 6 months down the line it is axed.
    Or it will simply be retained as is.
    He's put himself forward (which means that he isn't even being considered).

Obviously looking for a new job seeing how his US career has gone down the toilet.
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yorksdave wrote: »
    I can see it now a rebrand as #Newsnight, at 11pm on BBC2, simulcast on the BBC News Channel, just to show how committed the BBC is to the new show, viewers stop watching, 6 months down the line it is axed.

Or maybe this would have the same effect?

http://metro.co.uk/2014/04/30/piers-morgan-to-replace-paxo-on-newsnight-4714754/

They repeat it on the news channel at 03:00 in the morning and it won't be a direct simulcast as rolling news gets good ratings at that time and the paper review is more important.
  • mlt11mlt11 Posts: 21,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very, very unlikely Newsnight would be dropped.

It is surely an absolutely fundamental cornerstone of PSB that there should be a proper detailed nightly news analysis programme on a mainstream BBC channel (ie BBC1 or BBC2).

It would be a massive step to dispense with that - it's why the BBC exists in the first place - to do the PSB that commercial channels won't do.

And look at the BBC's recent pattern of behaviour:

- One of the changes made under DQF was to double the length of the Daily Politics from 30 mins to 60 mins (except Wed when already 90 mins).

- Ditto when there was lots of talk about where cuts might be made one of the very first things the BBC said was that BBC Parliament would not be touched.
  • anthony davidanthony david Posts: 14,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    burbe wrote: »
    I'm fairly sure Emily Maitlis will become the main presenter, maybe alongside Eddie Mair.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Kirsty Wark follow Jeremy out the door soon. Big losses for Newsnight with Gavin Esler and now Jeremy leaving in 2014.

Not sure if Eddie Mair would want the job. He is well established and well liked on Radio 4's PM programme where he is also allowed to show his humorous side. He was good on News Night but never looked comfortable doing it.
  • Y MeY Me Posts: 4,901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The BBC Trust wouldn't allow the BBC to scrap Newsnight, they might make some changes but they will still need to provide a news programme that is more in depth than the main BBC1 bulletins.

True they need the depth but who is there to present it?

I would like to see Marr or Neill.
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jeremy Paxman would be the perfect candidate for chair of the BBC Trust - excellent broadcaster and knows how to handle politicians. Instead we've had a lightweight politician with no experience of broadcasting other than being interviewed on the odd occasion.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    Jeremy Paxman would be the perfect candidate for chair of the BBC Trust - excellent broadcaster and knows how to handle politicians. Instead we've had a lightweight politician with no experience of broadcasting other than being interviewed on the odd occasion.

So you would prefer a journalist with no experience of management of any organisation?
  • heikerheiker Posts: 7,029
    Forum Member
    I do hope that Jeremy Paxman is not going to be replaced permanently by Yalda Hakim. Watched her last night....absolutely terrible interviewing technique.

See 17:30 minutes onwards as she tries to do a "Paxman" on the Leader of the Greens:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b043wgnd/newsnight-16052014
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    So you would prefer a journalist with no experience of management of any organisation?

What experience of managing a large organisation did Lord Patten have then ?

Would always prefer a broadcaster in charge of broadcasting rather than a politician with no experience.
  • Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Must admit when I see that clip of Kirsty Wark doing Thriller, I think 'Ain't this supposed to be a serious programme? '
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Katz was on Newswatch last night and seemed very vague about his plans, unable to name Paxman's successor.But then Katz is a newspaper man who has only recently come into TV and it shows......
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    Katz was on Newswatch last night and seemed very vague about his plans, unable to name Paxman's successor.
    Because he has yet to choose one (or the time is not right to make an announcement), or maybe there won't be one as such?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    Because he has yet to choose one (or the time is not right to make an announcement), or maybe there won't be one as such?

He said Paxman was going at the end of June so not much time really.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    He also said he's got 3 presenters there apart from Paxman. That seems enough to be getting along with.