Options

Kitchen Mixer Tap

deans6571deans6571 Posts: 6,137
Forum Member
I have a kitchen mixer tap which looks identical to this one:
Mixer Tap

Over the last few days however, I have noticed that where the main spout joins to the base, there is water seeping through the join and the water is slightly blackened which is suggesting a seal is on the way out....

Is it possible to open up a mixer tap like this to replace the seal or will the whole mixer combo need replacing?

Comments

• Options
    SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It will most likely have two ceramic cartridges rather than traditional tap washers. Those get replaced if they are leaking like a normal tap leaks, but at the base, as you say...the only way to find out is to remove the entire tap and dismantle it, if that's possible, to get to the O-ring seal at the neck.

I tired this once, and the only way to grip the tap firm enough to dismantle anything was going to irreparably damage the surface of the tap, so it was better to get a brand new one anyway.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Supratad wrote: »
    I tired this once, and the only way to grip the tap firm enough to dismantle anything was going to irreparably damage the surface of the tap, so it was better to get a brand new one anyway.

...hmm. yep, thats what I thought as well!

Had a look underneath the granite worktop and there seems to be only one metal clip holding the tap in place however, it obviously, has all the water connections as well so just getting the tap out to have a look is probably gonna be a job in itself so may as well just a get a new combo altogether I guess!!
  • Options
    cosmic buttplugcosmic buttplug Posts: 873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It should not be too difficult to remove the spout from the tap body. Usually you will find a small Allen screw at the rear of the tap - you may require a mirror to locate it properly. With a suitable Allen key remove the screw and then with a bit of a tug the spout should pull away.

You will now be able to see two or three O-rings and it is these that have worn and will be causing the leak from the joint. Take the spout round to your local plumbers' merchant and they should be able to replace these O-rings and add a little silicone grease. The O-rings will only cost a quid or so. :)
  • Options
    soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had to change a kitchen mono tap last weekend after no plumber returned my calls. it was a lot easier than i thought as each feed had a valve fitted so I could turn off the water with a scredriver without having to turn-off and drain down the house water. The 'clip' underneath turned out to be an open flat nut and after undoing the two locking screws sticking out it easily undid. The water feeds easily undid by hand after half a turn with an adjustable. Fitting the new one was just the reverse process.
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I once managed to remove the spout from my mixer tap with some kind of press and twist combination, but it was incredibly difficult and I don't really know how I achieved it. It's leaking slightly again now, but it will have to stay like that until I replace the entire kitchen range.
  • Options
    cosmic buttplugcosmic buttplug Posts: 873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    barbeler wrote: »
    I once managed to remove the spout from my mixer tap with some kind of press and twist combination, but it was incredibly difficult and I don't really know how I achieved it. It's leaking slightly again now, but it will have to stay like that until I replace the entire kitchen range.

Yes, that's the usually the case on contract taps where just turning the spout to the side can allow it to be pulled up and away from the tap body. But dean's OP showed a photograph of a brushed aluminium model where (in my experience) there will be some sort of screw that requires to be removed. I purchased a new tap recently made by Franke and it comes with the said Allen key and a couple of replacement O-rings.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It should not be too difficult to remove the spout from the tap body. Usually you will find a small Allen screw at the rear of the tap - you may require a mirror to locate it properly. With a suitable Allen key remove the screw and then with a bit of a tug the spout should pull away.

You will now be able to see two or three O-rings and it is these that have worn and will be causing the leak from the joint. Take the spout round to your local plumbers' merchant and they should be able to replace these O-rings and add a little silicone grease. The O-rings will only cost a quid or so. :)

...hmm, not too sure mine has that if I am honest. The taps themselves do indeed have tiny allen screws which will tighten the taps however when I checked the spout itself, I could see no allen key screw which did this :confused: I wonder whether it would just be pushg and twist mechanism instead, to pull out the spout?

Stupid obvious question but would I need to turn off the water supply (there are some on/off knobs under the worktop under the sink) before attempting to remove the spout......?!:blush::blush:
  • Options
    michael37michael37 Posts: 2,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You shouldn't absolutely need to as the taps are before the spout if you get what i mean.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    michael37 wrote: »
    You shouldn't absolutely need to as the taps are before the spout if you get what i mean.

...yep - I get you!!

Just found this video:

Remove Mixer Tap, which shows that if my mixer does not have a screw to remove the spout (whcih mine doesn't), it may justy be a case of aligning the spout to the far left or right and just pulling out the spout itself.

It also suggests that the problem could just be a simple case of replacig the 2 'o' rubber rings inside.........
  • Options
    Hut27Hut27 Posts: 1,673
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    barbeler wrote: »

Assuming it's not fitted wrong handed, (It should be LH Hot) try turning spout to Left square with back of sink and lift spout out of tap body. Remove O ring , fit new one with white Silicone Grease. Reverse operations and its all back together again.
  • Options
    seacamseacam Posts: 21,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To remove the spout there usually is a small screw but this will be on the mixer block but facing the wall behind the taps, you need to remove this.

If you are lucky it will be an alan type screw otherwise it is a small slot head grub screw and can be a sod to remove due to lack of access.

It might be worth cutting to size and fashioning a cheap screwdriver but before doing so take a look behind the mixer block with mirror to locate screw.

Persevere with screwdriver as having to remove taps can be a pain but maybe no choice.

It won't be worn ceramic cartridges as your tap/s would not stop dripping.

Once you have removed taps/spout, at the base of spout there is a rubber "O" ring, replace that.

You might have your work cut out finding the right size and thickness "O" ring but there are ways around that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hut27 wrote: »
    Assuming it's not fitted wrong handed, (It should be LH Hot) try turning spout to Left square with back of sink and lift spout out of tap body. Remove O ring , fit new one with white Silicone Grease. Reverse operations and its all back together again.

...I'm gonna try this tonight on my mixer as there is no allen screw at the back. If it really is that simple, a couple of O rings should only be a couple of pounds! ;-)
  • Options
    bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    deans6571 wrote: »
    It also suggests that the problem could just be a simple case of replacig the 2 'o' rubber rings inside.........

I have the same problem with my mixer tap.

Actually the real problem is that the leak empties out the water in the spout of the tap, requiring you to wait an annoying extra second or so when the tap is turned on, to get water flowing. (Because the taps themselves don't leak, the leak eventually stops.)

What I've been planning to do (for a couple of years now...) is to remove the spout (I have a grub screw at the base), remove the O-ring(s), then wind a very narrow strip of electrical insulating tape along the groove, enough to push the O-ring out a little way, then replace the O-ring and spout, and hope the seal is tighter. (I've tried this in a different situation and it seemed to work.)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bart4858 wrote: »
    I have the same problem with my mixer tap.

Actually the real problem is that the leak empties out the water in the spout of the tap, requiring you to wait an annoying extra second or so when the tap is turned on, to get water flowing. (Because the taps themselves don't leak, the leak eventually stops.)

What I've been planning to do (for a couple of years now...) is to remove the spout (I have a grub screw at the base), remove the O-ring(s), then wind a very narrow strip of electrical insulating tape along the groove, enough to push the O-ring out a little way, then replace the O-ring and spout, and hope the seal is tighter. (I've tried this in a different situation and it seemed to work.)
    Hi,

You could just use PTFE.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I've taken out the small Allen screw at the back of the faucet however the faucet still doesn't want to come out??:confused:

EDIT: Ok, so it's just come out now! The O rings actually look fine and intact - can't see any wear & tear on them? :confused:

There is also another plastic type ring thing however there is a small section of it missing so it is not a complete circle?! Could this be the problem perhaps ?!:confused: Is this meant to be a complete circle or is it correct to have a small section missing (it doesn't actually look broken) ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've taken out the small Allen screw at the back of the faucet however the faucet still doesn't want to come out??:confused:

EDIT: Ok, so it's just come out now! The O rings actually look fine and intact - can't see any wear & tear on them? :confused:

There is also another plastic type ring thing however there is a small section of it missing so it is not a complete circle?! Could this be the problem perhaps ?!:confused: Is this meant to be a complete circle or is it correct to have a small section missing (it doesn't actually look broken) ?
    That retainer ring, there is supposed to be a small gap but they do crack.

Replace the O ring/s anyway, reassemble, turn on tap.

Is there still water coming from base of spout.

If there is, do this, press firmly down on the spout, ( not to hard ), does this stop leak?

If not try this, one side at a time, turn on tap, is any water dripping down side of spout, thus looking as if it is coming from base of spout?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    seacam wrote: »
    That retainer ring, there is supposed to be a small gap but they do crack.

Replace the O ring/s anyway, reassemble, turn on tap.

Is there still water coming from base of spout.

If there is, do this, press firmly down on the spout, ( not to hard ), does this stop leak?

If not try this, one side at a time, turn on tap, is any water dripping down side of spout, thus looking as if it is coming from base of spout?

Will order some replacement rings anyway but have tried what you suggested.

When facing the faucet from the front, I noticed that when I pull forward on it ( towards me) then loads of water spews out out the base of the faucet. If I then push backward on the faucet, no water comes from the base of the faucet.

This kinda suggests that the faucet is not sitting squarely within the base doesn't it?

I might also try what was suggested earlier by wrapping some electrical tape underneath the o rings to make them tighter.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will order some replacement rings anyway but have tried what you suggested.

When facing the faucet from the front, I noticed that when I pull forward on it ( towards me) then loads of water spews out out the base of the faucet. If I then push backward on the faucet, no water comes from the base of the faucet.

This kinda suggests that the faucet is not sitting squarely within the base doesn't it?

So long as plastic split ring isn't cracked

Try 2 then 3 replacement O rings but not so many you can't put grub screw back in.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    seacam wrote: »
    So long as plastic split ring isn't cracked

Try 2 then 3 replacement O rings but not so many you can't put grub screw back in.

Ok, cheers will do!

Where does the grub screw actually touch - on the o rings or does it tighten against the faucet itself?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok, cheers will do!

Where does the grub screw actually touch - on the o rings or does it tighten against the faucet itself?
    Against the brass base end of the spout.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ok cheers for your help - appreciated ;-)