Sony KDL40EX503 Discussions

Comments

• ChanfronChanfron Posts: 430
    Forum Member
    Motopaki wrote: »
    Helpful Sony guy called back again, but needed to escalate the query higher up their support chain.

In the meantime, BT Broadband (our ISP) suggested opening up Port 80 on our hub, but not a clue what that entails.

Port 80 is used for HTTP so it will already be open as it is required to allow you to open web pages.

I suspect the BT hub is blocking the TV from obtaining an IP address, maybe some firewall setting or rules or other settings on the Hub are blocking the TV.

If you know someone with a generic router, i.e Dlink, Netgear, Linksys, maybe ask if you can borrow it, if you plug the TV into that and you get the correct IP numbers then it may narrow down the problem.

If not it maybe a faulty network card in the TV, I don't have any experience with network enabled TV's but the only time I have seen these 169.254.x.x numbers on PC's it has turned out to be a faulty network card.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 37
    Forum Member
    Thanks, Chanfron, much appreciated.

Actually, everything seems to be OK, now, with both the Bravia and BlueRay up and running on the network. The BT Hub feeds a home/office network, and after a 50m Ethernet run, to an outbuilding I've fitted an Ethernet switch to feed (1) A WiFi repeater (Netgear) (2) the Bravia TV (503) and (3) the Sony BlueRay (BDP S370).

My only outstanding query to any network guru is that I can run either the Bravia or the BlueRay on the network for TV content but not together. If I physically pull one out, everything is fine, but there seems to be some clash and I lose both if they're both connected. No big deal, but a hassle having to physically pull the cables.

Next step is to hook up to Lovefilm, but this requires registering with Sony My Essentials, and that's not working. Awaiting an answer from Sony on that.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    imanewby wrote: »
    Hopefully will be delivered today, so i should be able to try it out tonight, will report back asap.

Got the dongle, easy setup (once i realised not to use spaces in the WEP code).

No ITV or BBC Iplayer as yet which is what i got it for. YouTube works great but LoveFilm is a bit jumpy but that might be my slow internet connection.
  • bigsisbigsis Posts: 1,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got the dongle, easy setup (once i realised not to use spaces in the WEP code).

No ITV or BBC Iplayer as yet which is what i got it for. YouTube works great but LoveFilm is a bit jumpy but that might be my slow internet connection.

Thanks for the feedback, may leave mine for a little while although saying that will probably get it next week sometime.

Noticed on the Sony website that there is a firmware update, have you updated yours yet?

Thanks again imanewby :)
    Forum Member
    bigsis wrote: »
    Noticed on the Sony website that there is a firmware update, have you updated yours yet?

Thanks for the heads up. I have downloaded the new firmware and will try it out tonight.
  • figrin_danfigrin_dan Posts: 1,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No ITV or BBC Iplayer as yet which is what i got it for.
    AFAIK these will not be available via freeview. Are Sony going to create widgets for them?
  • ChanfronChanfron Posts: 430
    Forum Member
    Motopaki wrote: »
    My only outstanding query to any network guru is that I can run either the Bravia or the BlueRay on the network for TV content but not together. If I physically pull one out, everything is fine, but there seems to be some clash and I lose both if they're both connected. No big deal, but a hassle having to physically pull the cables..

Good to see things are working

Is there a way to check the network IP setting on the bluray player, possible that they are both trying to use the same IP number, beyond that I don't have any more Ideas.
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,460
    Forum Member
    figrin_dan wrote: »
    AFAIK these will not be available via freeview.

You seem somewhat confused?, iPlayer etc. aren't on any TV broadcasting system, as they are Internet based - basically offering lowish quality repeats of shows you've missed. You also need a pretty decent Internet link as well, and hope that the other people sharing your bandwidth aren't all using it at the same time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You seem somewhat confused?.
    Do you really think that? Or is it more likely that I wrote "via freeview" because the way to get to iPlayer is via a MHEG link. If freeview doesn't broadcast the link then the tv would need to access iPlayer another way, hence the mention of widgets.
    Forum Member
    I have downloaded the new firmware and will try it out tonight.

Tried and failed. Followed Sonys' instructions but the TV did not find the new firmware or any JPEGs that were on the memory stick either.

If anyone has achieved a firmware update, please let me know and how.
    Forum Member
    Tried and failed.

Retried, my mistake was the firmware folder which i stored in the memery stick was the one that 1st appeared after unzipping 'sony_tvupdate_2010_0204_eul_' which was a folder of the same name. You need to go into that folder and move folder 'sony_dtv0FA00A00A0A0_00020100' to the route directory of the memory stick.

After that the TV recognised the firmware, but for my TV the firmware is already at a later version. Version PKG1.117EUL-0103 rather than PKG1.104EUL-0103.
  • bigsisbigsis Posts: 1,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

After that the TV recognised the firmware, but for my TV the firmware is already at a later version. Version PKG1.117EUL-0103 rather than PKG1.104EUL-0103.

Have just checked mine and it's different to yours in that I think mine is an old version as its PKG1.101EUL-0103. I'll check once I get the dongle, see if mine will update.

Thanks for letting us know :)
  • archie2000archie2000 Posts: 274
    Forum Member
    I bought the KDL-40EX403 at the weekend, and I have to say that it is one fantastic tv.
    My previous tv couldn't handle 1080i HD from my Sky box, but this one does, and I can see a vast improvement in pic quality.
    Blacks are really black and are not pixilated.

It was extremely easy to set up, although my internet connection is wired and not wireless as I am not prepared to pay £70 for a usb dongle.

So many features, so ;ittle time.......:p
    Looking forward to Sony adding to the internet content, and hopefully making it more UK/European focused rather than US.
  • andysuthandysuth Posts: 52
    Forum Member
    John Lewis did price match me! It's great!

Has anyone bought the Dongle, the guy in JL said it would be £60, but none in stock yet.

If you have bought a dongle, could you PM me, I just want to know what drivers WinXP would try to load when you plug it into a PC/Laptop.

This might help everyone else find a cheaper alternative to the OEM Sony one.

I'm not too keen on the wifi bridge, but if you don't mind changing device settings, there are a few on the market that should be able to act as a Wifi bridge for around the £20.00 mark.

These do require an additional power socket, so I'm not too keen about that.

-Andy.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    Sorry, also hijacking this thread a bit!

Is anyone able to give their opinions regarding gaming with the Sony 40EX503? Specifically I'm looking to find out how the input lag is for the PS3 and the Wii.

I've found some opinions on another forum that the Xbox360 works well, thus the PS3 should, but I've not been able to find any info regarding how well the Wii works.

One of the main reasons for the new telly is gaming and blu-ray movies via the PS3 so I want to make sure the TV I get doesn't have a bad input lag like some others have.

Thanks!
    Forum Member
    archie2000 wrote: »
    It was extremely easy to set up, although my internet connection is wired and not wireless as I am not prepared to pay £70 for a usb dongle.

I was wondering if you have managed to play video over your wired lan connection. If so, can I ask what the file formats and file extensions you are using.

Thanks

John

PS what are you using for the DLNA server. ie windows media player, twonky, nero homemedia.

Thanks
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 178
    Forum Member
    I'm also looking at this TV but it's out of stock in JL!

It's £750 in JL.

The question I have is what's the deal with the inbuilt wifi (or whatever it is :p) ? - From what I understand.. I buy a dongle from Sony and plug it into the TV and through my wireless internet I'll be able to access content from Sony such as iPlayer, 40d etc?
    Forum Member
    My KDL-40EX403 has had an update and I can now access the Demand 5 widget. Watched an episode of the Gadget Show and the pic quality is pretty good, but the sound leaves a lot to be desired.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 37
    Forum Member
    From what I understand.. I buy a dongle from Sony and plug it into the TV and through my wireless internet I'll be able to access content from Sony such as iPlayer, 40d etc?

Either that or use an ethernet cable to plug into your network and/or route - couple of quid for the router connection - a lot more for the dongle (North of 60 quid?).

The iPlayer service is available on their BlueRay machines but not yet on the TV (as of last week).
    Forum Member
    According to a thread on AV Forums, BBC iPlayer will become available June/July on the Bravia range of TV's
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    archie2000 wrote: »
    My KDL-40EX403 has had an update and I can now access the Demand 5 widget. Watched an episode of the Gadget Show and the pic quality is pretty good, but the sound leaves a lot to be desired.
    That's the gadget show. The mics are too close to the presenters' yelling mouths.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15
    Forum Member
    Hi

I've been waiting to get hold of the KDL40EX503 from JL for ages but doesn't seem they're going to get any in stock anytime soon ... certainly not before the price goes back up.

Might have better chance with the KDL40EX403 which is currently £50 less than the 503.

Is it really worth worth waiting to get the 503 or should I plump for the 403, seeing as the only difference is 50Hz compared to 100Hz ?

I'll mainly be watching Standard Def pictures so what should I do ??????
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 178
    Forum Member
    BobaFett70 wrote: »
    Hi

I've been waiting to get hold of the KDL40EX503 from JL for ages but doesn't seem they're going to get any in stock anytime soon ... certainly not before the price goes back up.

Might have better chance with the KDL40EX403 which is currently £50 less than the 503.

Is it really worth worth waiting to get the 503 or should I plump for the 403, seeing as the only difference is 50Hz compared to 100Hz ?

I'll mainly be watching Standard Def pictures so what should I do ??????

I emailed JL about this TV at the beginning of the week and they said they will have some in stock next week.

They also said the Sony trade in deal is around untill July.
    Forum Member
    TS7 wrote: »
    I emailed JL about this TV at the beginning of the week and they said they will have some in stock next week.

Thanks for the info TS7, i'll hold out for the 503 and hope I get it :)
    Forum Member
    TS7 wrote: »

JL have them back in stock online .. still £649.95 with trade in :D