The Night of the Doctor Minisode on BBC1 tomorrow? (Merged)

Comments

• cat666cat666 Posts: 2,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would have been nice to have had the BBC Books referenced instead of the BF Audio, as most people assume the time line in the BBC Books is the main one (as it's all BBC). Still not moaning too much, was pretty damn awesome and it's nice to see McGann again after all these years. He really is one of my favs.
  • Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,455
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Spoilered to death now. My fault. :p

Wont be able to watch it 'til Saturday but just SO pleased that the particular Doctor's night was his. How great is that? (and well played Paul for playing such a straight bat for so long.)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I haven't watched much McGann to be honest, I've tried to watch as much classic as I can, but haven't covered it all!

But I must say, I seem to have felt the same appreciation, he was brilliant, always exciting seeing a different side!

Stellar stuff!

There's only the one TV Movie to watch... but then there's all the Big Finish adventures and the novels, most of which are very, very good.
  • jedi mattjedi matt Posts: 1,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't watched much McGann to be honest, I've tried to watch as much classic as I can, but haven't covered it all!

But I must say, I seem to have felt the same appreciation, he was brilliant, always exciting seeing a different side!

Stellar stuff!

I know it's criticesed a lot but i like the Mcgann movie and have it at home and as it's his only TV outing i would recommend you take a look at it and make your own opinion on it.
  • AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why couldn't they make that the pre-title sequence segment? It was very good. But I have a notion that instead of regenerating into Chris Ecclestone, he regresses back to Paul McGann because surely McGann only wanted to be Warrior Doctor in order to save the universe?
  • BatmannequinBatmannequin Posts: 489
    Forum Member
    I've reviewed it here: http://blog-geekinout.blogspot.co.uk/2013/11/review-night-of-doctor.html

F***ing perfect, absolutely brilliant.

Watched it with the headphones on, and my (non-fan) gf kept asking me why I was squeeing and grinning like a lunatic, haha.

Did not expect that in the slightest. Hoped for it, wanted it, but never EXPECTED it. Bloody marvellous!
  • Dr2PatDr2Pat Posts: 420
    Forum Member
    Once again, Paul McGann just nailed the role of the Doctor. He was absolutely perfect.
    Even though he has only been in 2 episodes (feels great to finally be able to say that) and loads of BF audios, I think after watching him in action again, he is fast becoming my favorite Doctor. Makes me yearn for a full McGann series even more now.
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not a total surprise but amazing nether the less. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So we've finally found the one thing that can unite internet Doctor Who fans in happiness :)
  • lordo350lordo350 Posts: 3,635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OMG!!!
    This is JUST how I wanted to see the special begin, but as there seems to be so much going on, Moff gave us a whole mini episode of it instead!
    I mean, I had a double take at the start of it.
    This, finally, filled in a missing piece of DW history. This little 5 minute episode is so important to the overall mythology... it really is quite amazing!! He's a sly one, that Paul McGann. Consistently stating he was disappointed not to be part of the 50th... well, turns out he is and isn't. He probably won't be in the episode now, but to finally get some closure on his Doctor... that alone was worth it!!!

Plus, as the Sisterhood of Karn are responsible for the regeneration, and as the 8th Doctor himself basically stated the Universe has no more need for a Doctor anymore, but needs a Warrior, this means that the Doctor's regeneration number remains intact. This incarnation was born in blood to be a warrior, which is why the Doctor chooses not to count it, especially considering what he does. So the 9th Doctor is still the 9th Doctor; he would have been who the 8th regenerated into, had the Time War not occurred. Instead, it was doctored (if you'd excuse the pun) to create John Hurt.

Bloody hell. Roll on the 23rd!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cat666 wrote: »
    It would have been nice to have had the BBC Books referenced instead of the BF Audio, as most people assume the time line in the BBC Books is the main one (as it's all BBC). Still not moaning too much, was pretty damn awesome and it's nice to see McGann again after all these years. He really is one of my favs.

Not sure they do any more. His current and bigger work (Dark Eyes was a huge seller) is the BF work.
  • kendogukkendoguk Posts: 13,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The guy deserves a full series or something he plays the doctor awesomely
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    It makes me sick to death to think my childhood through the late 90s could/should have been filled with Paul with performances like this one.

*looks through Big Finish collection to find one to listen to right now*
  • TRT1968TRT1968 Posts: 2,164
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So we've finally found the one thing that can unite internet Doctor Who fans in happiness :)

"Bring me the finest wines known to humanity" :D
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BF just got canon.
  • garbage456garbage456 Posts: 8,225
    Forum Member
    wizzywick wrote: »
    Why couldn't they make that the pre-title sequence segment? It was very good. But I have a notion that instead of regenerating into Chris Ecclestone, he regresses back to Paul McGann because surely McGann only wanted to be Warrior Doctor in order to save the universe?

What a fantastic idea. Then the doctor time line isn't affected
  • DICKENS99DICKENS99 Posts: 2,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if they might sneak this in on the Saturday schedule, as a teaser before Strictly.
  • starsailorstarsailor Posts: 11,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just wow!!!!!!
  • ShhhSilenceShhhSilence Posts: 363
    Forum Member
    Enough brilliant lines for a regular 45 minute show, exploding one after another in less than 7 minutes... fantastic! :-)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think after those 7 mins, the chances of PM coming back in the future just shot through the roof! He absolutely nailed the part once again, and there's so much more to the beginnings of the Time War that could be explored in a mini-series in the future. Now that the younger generation can see what a brilliant Doctor he was, I'm sure he'll be in demand.
  • BatmannequinBatmannequin Posts: 489
    Forum Member
    Enough brilliant lines for a regular 45 minute show, exploding one after another in less than 7 minutes... fantastic! :-)

I know, right!

"Because the front crashes first" was pefect, haha.
  • CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:
  • Watcher #1Watcher #1 Posts: 9,040
    Forum Member
    I'm sat in the office with the biggest grin on my face.

If the 50th keeps that standard up, it's going to be superb.
  • adams66adams66 Posts: 3,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    platelet wrote: »
    As for the canon question - I expect DariaM's head to explode :D

:D:D:D I was just thinking exactly the same thing!! :):)
    Can't be long before DariaM pops up again!
  • ShhhSilenceShhhSilence Posts: 363
    Forum Member
    I know, right!

"Because the front crashes first" was pefect, haha.

I LOVED that line :D