Options

Help from those that have a 9200T...

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15
Forum Member
Guys,

Looking at one of these - would be ideal to dump all the Mp3's on and also using in the house and caravan whilst away...

However a Q that the better half asked - with the Pc link on it, is there any way to transfer a couple of kids dvd's (Non-macrovision/css protected) onto the Hdd to save also taking a dvd player/all the dvd's??

Thanks for the help guys as ever :)

Paul

Comments

• Options
    davefevsdavefevs Posts: 478
    Forum Member
    Re MP3s ~ you can only load 5gb onto Hummy as the Hard Drive is partitioned that way.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    As a side note, is there any way of hacking the unit to allow this functionality?? ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 145
    Forum Member
    Don't know about the hacking, but you risk corrupting the Hummy file system if you try to upload videos to the video partition. Even if you have made the effort to convert them to TS format....
  • Options
    Martin LiddleMartin Liddle Posts: 3,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    toibs wrote:
    As a side note, is there any way of hacking the unit to allow this functionality?? ;)

I suspect that increasing the space allocated to MP3s etc and transferring video to the disk will be possible in the future. They both require an understanding of the disk filing system and this seems to be coming along nicely.
    So I think the answer to your questions is can it be done now, probably not: will it be possible in say six months, probably.
  • Options
    Max DemianMax Demian Posts: 1,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suspect that increasing the space allocated to MP3s etc and transferring video to the disk will be possible in the future. They both require an understanding of the disk filing system and this seems to be coming along nicely.
    So I think the answer to your questions is can it be done now, probably not: will it be possible in say six months, probably.

On the contrary, I get the impression that the ability to play mp3s was given to a novice to implement and there is no intention to allow videos to be transferred.

Just look at the mp3 interface and the fact that you can't play them while the machine is recording. (Why?) And that many mp3s aren't recognised or are corrupted.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ...the more i read the more i'm thinking i'd be better off with a Digifusion and an Mp3 player into an amp....... :(

Paul
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The primary function of the Hummy is a Twin Tuner Freeview PVR (records programmes from DTT to hard disk). You will get into problems if you want to use it extensively for other purposes (i.e. MP3 jukebox, etc). Even though some of the facilities are available on the Hummy, they haven't been fully thought out and are just gimmicks to sell the device to the masses...

I suggest you find (separate) device(s) to fullyfil the 'Media Player' functions (MP3s, AVIs, streaming video, etc) you are after...

However, I will start talking to phew about re-structuring the Hummy's HDD to allow for more MP3s and might start doing experiments for uploading video files... watch this thread: http://forum.digitalspy.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=373680
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah the MP3 player in the hummer is not great and you cant play MP3s while recording.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    To be honest thats not a HUGE issue... yes it would be nice if it worked, however more important would be the ability to actually be able to store and play them back...

Son_t - many thanks for the offer to add this to the long list whilst you;'re having a trawl through the file system. Why humax didnt just allocate everything to one large partition and then sub-directory everything i'll never know - most other major manufacturers do exactly this for these reasons. Then this allows full utilisation of the disk rather than restrictions as humax have done...

Yeh i'd like to knock up a Shuttle with these functions, wouldnt be too difficult, and i have a legit Ms Media centre edition available (Course the linux option is also there...),
    However i'd rather have it in a smaller/neater box as space is obviously at a premium....Also heat being one of the larger issues too... i.e. pc would, i would have thought, bang out much more heat than a Humax...

Paul
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A modded Xbox (original) with XBMC installed with a bigger HDD would be the choice for a Media Player... Does everything except record (but you have a Hummy for that)...

Look for one on eBay...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 102
    Forum Member
    toibs wrote:
    ...the more i read the more i'm thinking i'd be better off with a Digifusion and an Mp3 player into an amp....... :(

Paul

Personally, I would buy an iPod and a Humax and use each for the purpose they are intended. Having said that I am slightly biased as I have just upgraded from a Fusion FVRT100 to a Humax. There really is no comparison. The Humax is far superior in terms of both usability and builld quality IMHO.
  • Options
    Martin LiddleMartin Liddle Posts: 3,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    toibs wrote:
    Why humax didnt just allocate everything to one large partition and then sub-directory everything i'll never know.

My guess would be that it allows them to have different cluster sizes on the two partitions hence optimising disk space usage.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    My Personal preferance would be the other way round - I'd like tpo get rid of the mp3/jpg partition and just use this for extra video - after all I bought it for it's pvr functions not as an mp3 player - I've got an Archos PMA400 for that (and it fits in my pocket easier for listening on the tube) aswell as watching the stuff I haven't been able to watch at home.

Jason
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 71
    Forum Member
    I currently use a 260Gb USB2 hard drive attatched to a PC on the network, and the xbox & xbmc or the xbox360 to stream them, and the kids both use their xbox's to do the same.

My problem arises with the wife, who STILL cannot understand how to load xbmc or Media Center on the 360 and nags at me to "get the freeview thingy working" :P
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fatgit wrote:
    I currently use a 260Gb USB2 hard drive attatched to a PC on the network, and the xbox & xbmc or the xbox360 to stream them, and the kids both use their xbox's to do the same.

My problem arises with the wife, who STILL cannot understand how to load xbmc or Media Center on the 360 and nags at me to "get the freeview thingy working" :P

How far have they got hacking the 360? Don't tell me they can run homebrew stuff on the 360 now? Or do you mean just Media Center on the 360 (what is Media Center?)...

You can run XBMC on the Xbox (original) as the dashboard - this way the wife doesn't need load anything! I also have a Harmony remote with which you can set up 'activities' - this way the wife presses 'use Xbox for Video' and everything switch on at the right channels and inputs, etc... and she's happy! In you case, you can also set up an activity called 'Watch Freeview Thingy' and she'll be well happy!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My Personal preferance would be the other way round - I'd like tpo get rid of the mp3/jpg partition and just use this for extra video - after all I bought it for it's pvr functions not as an mp3 player - I've got an Archos PMA400 for that (and it fits in my pocket easier for listening on the tube) aswell as watching the stuff I haven't been able to watch at home.

Jason

A gain of 5Gb for video is not much of a gain - just enough to make recordings of 2 films... where as an extra 5Gb for MP3s is a substantial gain...

But you are right, a dedicated MP3 device whether portable or not is better than the Hummy for music...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 431
    Forum Member
    son_t wrote:
    You can run XBMC on the Xbox (original) as the dashboard - this way the wife doesn't need load anything! I also have a Harmony remote with which you can set up 'activities' - this way the wife presses 'use Xbox for Video' and everything switch on at the right channels and inputs, etc... and she's happy! In you case, you can also set up an activity called 'Watch Freeview Thingy' and she'll be well happy!

Thats exatly how mine is setup! Even down to the Harmony. That way when you have "backed up" your own 24 dvd's you can fit them on one dual layer and watch them on your tv, you can even stream them over the network if you want!

The XBOX with XBMC is just about the best media streamer you can get and it's cheap as chips.