Surround Sound System Help...

Hi guys and gals, i am looking to get a new DVD Player to go with my new HD Telly.

I am looking for a Upscaling DVD player but i would also like a nice surround sound system as well.

I am looking to get the Samsung 950 dvd player for £80 from Play.com but i am stuck on what speakers, hell i am stuck on what i will need speaker wise :|.

Do i need a AV Amplifiers or Receiver ??

I would not mind plugging my Sky+ (Soon to be SkyHD) into the system for 5.1 from Movies etc on Sky.

So what i want to do is play DVD's and have Sky running through a 5.1 system, what do i need ?

Hope somone on here can help :)

Thanks
MDX

Comments

• Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,834
    Forum Member
    Cannot recommend any specific current kit but you will need a 5.1 amplifier to drive 5 speakers. The .1 is usually a bass line out signal to connect a sub woofer with its own built in amplifier.
    Personally if your budget can stretch I would recommend separate amp and speakers rather than a all in sytem if only because they usually have more connections.
    A receiver is just an AV amp with a built in Radio tuner.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 361
    Forum Member
    try my suggestion at the end of this thread

http://forum.digitalspy.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=412365
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With the DVD player you are looking at you will need to have a decoder, amplifier and speakers. One option is to buy a one box solution which will generally give mediocer results (depending on what you compare to). The other option is to get a seperate system of an AV amp or receiver (only difference is that a receiver has a radio built in) and a set of speakers.

As you have 2 items you want to connect up to it you will need to make sure that the system has 1 optical connection (Sky+) and either a second optical or a coax connection (dvd)

Without a budget it isnt possible to make recommendations
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Astaroth wrote:
    With the DVD player you are looking at you will need to have a decoder, amplifier and speakers. One option is to buy a one box solution which will generally give mediocer results (depending on what you compare to). The other option is to get a seperate system of an AV amp or receiver (only difference is that a receiver has a radio built in) and a set of speakers.

As you have 2 items you want to connect up to it you will need to make sure that the system has 1 optical connection (Sky+) and either a second optical or a coax connection (dvd)

Without a budget it isnt possible to make recommendations
    Well i am looking at the Yamaha AV59 set to go with my Samsung HD950

Good choice ?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 130
    Forum Member
    i have just got my Hd box and television fitted (at Last) and i am looking for the best way of wiring in my existing dvd home cinema surround sound ( it is a Phillips LX3750 WIRELESS), a few years old now. At the moment it is wired with the red and white stereo jackplugs from HD box which the dvd unit converts to 5.1. But today i bught an optical lead for the sky HD box but when i plug it into the surround sound i get no sound on any setting(aux ann, aux dig etc.) Only way to get sound is to plug in these red and white leads again!
    Looking at the back the optical on my surround box is an OUT too, so how do I get the optical out from my HD in to this surround home cinema box
    The back of this has audio in (red and white connections) audio out (same connections) woofer line out then the optical connection then digital in (green) and coaxial out below this then all my speaker connections then Av scart s-video and video out.
    Any help would be appreciated
    Thanks in advance :o:o:confused::confused:
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dnic wrote:
    The back of this has audio in (red and white connections) audio out (same connections) woofer line out then the optical connection then digital in (green) and coaxial out below this then all my speaker connections then Av scart s-video and video out.
    Any help would be appreciated
    Thanks in advance :o:o:confused::confused:
    Get yourself one of these converter boxes.

It will take the Optical out from the Sky box in to one end and output a coaxial output that you can link to the digital in socket on your surround system. I'm assuming from the description you have given that the "digital in" is a standard phono socket similar to the left/right audio ins (apart from colour :) ).

You can get special digital phono leads for this purpose, though you'll probably find one of the leads you are currently using for the left/right analogue connection will do the job equally well.
    Forum Member
    chrisjr wrote:
    Get yourself one of these converter boxes.

It will take the Optical out from the Sky box in to one end and output a coaxial output that you can link to the digital in socket on your surround system. I'm assuming from the description you have given that the "digital in" is a standard phono socket similar to the left/right audio ins (apart from colour :) ).

You can get special digital phono leads for this purpose, though you'll probably find one of the leads you are currently using for the left/right analogue connection will do the job equally well.
    cheers it looks the same size jackplug but is green i will get this box!!
    Anybody want to buy a new optical lead???? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 361
    Forum Member
    dnic wrote:
    i have just got my Hd box and television fitted (at Last) and i am looking for the best way of wiring in my existing dvd home cinema surround sound ( it is a Phillips LX3750 WIRELESS), a few years old now. At the moment it is wired with the red and white stereo jackplugs from HD box which the dvd unit converts to 5.1.

just to point out that you can't get 5.1 through red/ white phono leads they only carry a stereo signal which your phillips would convert to pro logic.the sky box only outputs dd 5.1 through the optical out.

dnic wrote:
    cheers it looks the same size jackplug but is green i will get this box!!
    Anybody want to buy a new optical lead???? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

looking at the converter box you will still need the optical you plug that into the back of sky then into converter box then you will need a separate coaxial lead to plug into box then phillips set.
    as to the previous suggestion i would get a proper coaxial lead something like this at maplins if you want to try and get the best quality signal

coaxial lead

hope this helps
    Forum Member
    Thanks all for the help !!
    It is now set up and working fine the lead that i have extra is and optical 3.5mm plug on both ends that i bought by mistake ,hopefully i will be able to return i lost reciept!
    Only prob is on some programs i dont get the rear speakers on automatically...I take it this is because the programs are only broadcasting in stereo( I can get it by switching the phillips box to movie or music setting) which are analogue rather than optical settings on phillips!
    Again many thanks for the help!!