Rash from being sick??

asp746asp746 Posts: 7,286
Forum Member
my daughter has not been sleeping properly lately despite feeling dreadfully tired. Last night she started being sick about midnight and this went on through the night.

This morning she's got a rash over the side of her face - it looks like purply/red spots that don't go when i did the tumbler test.

I took her the drs who said she had a virus and to go home and take paracetamol and drink plenty of fluids.

The Dr said the rash was due to being sick - in all my years i've never heard of this and wondered if any of you had.

Also 8 hrs late the rash is exactly the same as it was with clusters of the spots in 2 specific areas. It looks worrying to me.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Take her to a&e rather than posting on a forum?
  • asp746asp746 Posts: 7,286
    Forum Member
    of course i would if i thought it was that serious.

I'm just posting to see if anyone else had heard of a sickness rash.
  • ForestChavForestChav Posts: 35,127
    Forum Member
    Yeah, if you're worried A+E, if not to get a 2nd opinion, because being sick plus a rash can be something serious. It might be OK but you don't know, is she otherwise OK?

... especially if it fails the tumbler test.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've got a friend who has weak blood vessels in her face, so whenever she's sick she gets a rash from them bursting.

Mostly at the side of her face, round her eyes, if I remember rightly.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 253
    Forum Member
    Smudgie wrote: »
    I've got a friend who has weak blood vessels in her face, so whenever she's sick she gets a rash from them bursting.

Mostly at the side of her face, round her eyes, if I remember rightly.

damn it, beat me to it lol.

i get this every time im violently sick - before now ive burst all the blood vessels in my eyes, and get the purply/red bits (looks like a rash or bruising almost) across my forehead, around my eyes, and down the side of my face, where they have also burst.

its not a nice look !

hope your daughter is ok x
  • Rugby RoseRugby Rose Posts: 13,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I got a rash like that once on my neck from being sick - it was burst blood vessels from the 'straining'. Sorry to be so graphic there. They were like tiny little pin prick sized, purplish.

My son had that sickness virus last week by the way, so there is one going around.

However, I've been always led to believe that if a rash doesn't go away under a glass you get the child straight to A&E. I'm not one prone to panic, but if my son had a rash that wouldn't go away under the glass test I'd be up there like a shot.

I've just double checked the symptoms for Meningitis on NHS Direct. I think you need to get your daughter up to A&E asap to be sure...

Symptoms in adults may include:

a constant generalised headache,
    confusion,
    a high temperature, although hands and feet may be cold,
    drowsiness,
    vomiting,
    stomach pain, sometimes with diarrhoea,
    rapid breathing,
    joint or muscle pain,
    sensitivity to bright lights, daylight or even the television,
    neck stiffness - moving the chin to the chest will be painful at the back of the neck, and
    a rash of red or purple spots or bruises that does not fade when you press a glass tumbler or finger against it - this may not be present in the early stages. On darker skin, this rash may be more visible inside the eyelids or on the roof of the mouth.
    Symptoms in babies and infants may include:

high temperature, fever (possibly with cold hands and feet),
    vomiting and refusing feeds,
    high pitched moaning or whimpering cry,
    blank staring expression,
    pale itchy complexion,
    floppiness,
    dislike of being handled,
    fretful,
    neck retraction with arching of back,
    convulsions,
    lethargic and difficult to wake, and
    tense or bulging fontanelle (soft spot on head).

http://www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/articles/article.aspx?articleId=245&sectionId=10

Frankly, it's better to be safe than sorry and that's the attitude the hospital will have too.
  • asp746asp746 Posts: 7,286
    Forum Member
    roxtar - that's exactly the rash and in the same place - around her eyelids and down one side of her face with a couple of 'cluster spots'.

She's feeling much better than she did this morning and keeping fluids down and also had soup.

Its just the rash. It hasn't spread or changed colour so i'll just keep observing her.

i'm not a panicky mum but when i saw that rash, my stomach sunk to the floor.

thanks also to everyone else who posted.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 253
    Forum Member
    asp746 wrote: »
    roxtar - that's exactly the rash and in the same place - around her eyelids and down one side of her face with a couple of 'cluster spots'.

She's feeling much better than she did this morning and keeping fluids down and also had soup.

Its just the rash. It hasn't spread or changed colour so i'll just keep observing her.

i'm not a panicky mum but when i saw that rash, my stomach sunk to the floor.

thanks also to everyone else who posted.

fingers crossed then it is just burst blood vessels. i panicked when it first happened to me too (day after my birthday after being sick all night from drinking too much vino! too ashamed to tell the doc the truth so pretended id eaten something dodgy ! lol :D).

takes a couple of days to fade away, then all should be fine.

hope all is ok x
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have a rash from being sick a month ago. it caused Pityriasis rosacea as my imune system over reacted. It is horrible!
    I hope your daughter gets over it soon.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are called petechiae, very common in children particularly after forceful vomitting, but always worth getting checked out. I've PM'd you OP :)