Doc Martin (Part 10 — Spoilers)

Comments

• dcdmfandcdmfan Posts: 1,540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ReneeBird wrote: »
    I definitely think he was teasing her. And, I think he said "to a certain extent" when LG said "studies show that talking to your baby increases their cognitive function". Because, he stated something similar in ep-1, he can't admit that she could be right! Men!
    They say you can't change someone and I believe that. And, this is just the way DM is. But, I do believe he is trying! :)

I would never have dreamt that he was teasing her, but maybe you are right. He didn't notice what Edith was wearing when she asked him that question and he he had a puzzled look on his face. The look on his face was different when LG asked him. And he did crack the medical training joke.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've always loved this programme but I have to say that I'm really disappointed with the series so far. I can't put my finger on it but it's not as warm, exciting and complex as previous series. I'm really missing Pauline and Aunt Joan as well :( I'm definitely going to stick with it though, maybe it will improve :)

The scripts are just as good IMO. Is it becase we don't get quite the same tension between the Doc and Louisa? It's there but it's different;);) AR and Morwenna look like they are going to be good as well - but they have big acts to follow:D
  • NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been really enjoying the interaction with Jack Lothian who was so nice as to respond to us. It's really got me thinking about how they put the show together.

There are a ton of Easter Eggs -- in the sense of little hidden objects scattered about -- in the series. There's the way they drop names -- calling the little girl Emily Baithwaite, when the character Holly asked about "the Bamfords" -- and then there was all that business about the nativity on the birth scene. And the "reverse dialogue", the play with vegetables, including Thte onions scattered about --- I don't know, I just get the feeling there's a lot of inside jokes and allusions in the shots that you really have to be paying attention to notice.

And BTW, I get the sense that MC and PB have a meticulous eye to detail and these things are not slipping in unnoticed or unapproved by them.

And I am wondering if this is unusual for the DM set, or if this level of playfulness happens in many series, at least those where a lot of attention is paid to detail.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NewPark wrote: »
    And I am wondering if this is unusual for the DM set, or if this level of playfulness happens in many series, at least those where a lot of attention is paid to detail.

I guess that "in" jokes are not unusual, but they are don't usually include the viewers in the joke like BP do:D:D:D
    Which is quite nice IMO - a sort of compliment to us:)
  • NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Martin Clunes in Lanark horsing around - Lifestyle & Leisure ...
    There was no chance of actor Martin Clunes behaving badly when he came to Lanark.
    www.carlukegazette.co.uk/.../martin_clunes_in_lanark_horsin...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 419
    Forum Member
    There was no chance of actor Martin Clunes behaving badly when he came to Lanark.

that link didnt work for me but the link to the paper did..then just scrolled down to find the article :D...nice jumper Martin :rolleyes::D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Martin Clunes in Lanark horsing around - Lifestyle & Leisure ...There was no chance of actor Martin Clunes behaving badly when he came to Lan[urwww.carlukegazette.co.uk/.../martin_clunes_in_lanark_horsin[/url]...

I'm begining to feel sorry for MC - those constant references to MBB ref must really cheese him off now.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    daisymay wrote: »
    that link didnt work for me but the link to the paper did..then just scrolled down to find the article :D...nice jumper Martin :rolleyes::D

I wonder if Mrs T has had the knitting needles out again :D:rolleyes:
  • ggo85ggo85 Posts: 164
    Forum Member
    Yeah, definitely doctor mode. He really can't take a hint!

IMO, the writers intentionally left this vague. Is he teasing her/being playful or is he once again jumping back into Dr. mode when faced with a a potentially "difficult" personal discussion?

Just like the medical training comment -- it could be a small DM joke or it could be him being a bit condescending.

The fact we can't agree means the writers apparently have succeeded in keeping us guessing yet again. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dcdmfan wrote: »
    I would never have dreamt that he was teasing her, but maybe you are right. He didn't notice what Edith was wearing when she asked him that question and he he had a puzzled look on his face. The look on his face was different when LG asked him. And he did crack the medical training joke.

You would have to be pretty dumb as a man, not to know what a woman means when she asks, "How do I look?". :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    omg, I saw Hugh Laurie (House) on Jay Leno last night. I guess the show is really popular. Jay said something like it's shown in 65 countries and has 80 million viewers or something like that. I haven't watched the show in years (it's the 8th season) it just got too predictable.
    Besides, I love our grumpy doctor, DOC MARTIN so much better! And, it's getting more and more popular in America every day (and other countries, too). So, take that, House! :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 128
    Forum Member
    cc.cookie wrote: »
    Do you think he was teasing her?

I thought he was in doctor mode again.

Sorry, couldn't figure out how to get relevant previous post to show.
    But, I think writers are keeping DM in character by having him be oblivious to Louisa's intent about "how do I look" comment. Like most of you, I would like to see softer interactions between LG and DM but can't take away what makes him, well him.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You would have to be pretty dumb as a man, not to know what a woman means when she asks, "How do I look?". :rolleyes:

I hear you. I was thinking how he better learn to respond to that question. But the Doc is the Doc, so they may make him oblivious to how he's supposed to answer that question. The S3 Doc would have known, but then she probably wouldn't have had to ask him, imo. He has changed since then especially towards Louisa. It is logical to think that he is teasing her, but you just never know with this show and this guy.
  • lost-the-plotlost-the-plot Posts: 115
    Forum Member
    Do you all remember over the summer, the two pages of script that appeared? Lots of speculation as to whether they were red herrings or not. Guess we'll find out soon enough as it was a conversation between LG and her Mom. There was mention of moving to London half term, so that was spot on.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hear you. I was thinking how he better learn to respond to that question. But the Doc is the Doc, so they may make him oblivious to how he's supposed to answer that question. The S3 Doc would have known, but then she probably wouldn't have had to ask him, imo. He has changed since then especially towards Louisa. It is logical to think that he is teasing her, but you just never know with this show and this guy.

You're right dc, the S3 doc would have known. I mean, he's not blind! He was attracted to LG from the start (so much so, that he ran into the door frame! I still laugh when I think of that scene!). When they were going out on their first date and she was in the surgery getting blood drawn, she said she didn't know what she was going to wear and he said she'd look good no matter what she wore, didn't he? Anyway, why couldn't he have told LG she looked nice last episode? :confused:
  • whalewhale Posts: 616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

thks for the article, why is he keeping his hair so short, you would think it would have grown quite a bit since July, may be a Xmas Special!! Love the sweater quite in keeping with Scotland, must not have done much riding judging how pale his hands are...

The onions and other Veg are part of their own Easter Egg Hunt that's ingenious, wonder what other "goodies" are in store, keep our eyes peeled!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're right dc, the S3 doc would have known. I mean, he's not blind! He was attracted to LG from the start (so much so, that he ran into the door frame! I still laugh when I think of that scene!). When they were going out on their first date and she was in the surgery getting blood drawn, she said she didn't know what she was going to wear and he said she'd look good no matter what she wore, didn't he? Anyway, why couldn't he have told LG she looked nice last episode? :confused:

You are right, it is a big mistake for them to have him respond that way, considering his reaction to her practically every time he saw her since S1. Very inconsistent and confusing. His looks towards her must be apparent to even the most casual viewer, so it really stands out. He's becoming like his father and only seeing her as a mother - God I hope not.

Her top was a different style from the type she normally wears. I like her regular clothes better, personally. I hope they lose the blue sweater. I also like seeing her not pregnant. I am really enjoying CC this season. I am still scared they are going to kill her off. That "if you died" line is so spooky. I rewatched that last night. That was a Ben Bolt script, he knows the show better than the other writers, so I wonder about the weight of the meaning of that line...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    [QUOTE=dcdmfan;5319885 I am really enjoying CC this season. I am still scared they are going to kill her off. That "if you died" line is so spooky. I rewatched that last night. That was a Ben Bolt script, he knows the show better than the other writers, so I wonder about the weight of the meaning of that line...[/QUOTE]

I'm sure that you are worrying unecessarily; if anything It was more prescient of what was about to happen in the Doc's life with AJ IMO
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You are right, it is a big mistake for them to have him respond that way, considering his reaction to her practically every time he saw her since S1. Very inconsistent and confusing. His looks towards her must be apparent to even the most casual viewer, so it really stands out. He's becoming like his father and only seeing her as a mother - God I hope not.

Her top was a different style from the type she normally wears. I like her regular clothes better, personally. I hope they lose the blue sweater. I also like seeing her not pregnant. I am really enjoying CC this season. I am still scared they are going to kill her off. That "if you died" line is so spooky. I rewatched that last night. That was a Ben Bolt script, he knows the show better than the other writers, so I wonder about the weight of the meaning of that line...

I'm pretty sure they won't - remember the outcry when she simply walked off down a hill? I can't even imagine the reactions if she died!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think that he was teasing as well - if you look at his face just before he speaks, he looks like he's about to say one thing and then changes his mind;);)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    simplyred wrote: »
    I'm sure that you are worrying unecessarily; if anything It was more prescient of what was about to happen in the Doc's life with AJ IMO

"I'm sure that you are worrying unecessarily" - That is the story of my life, lol.:confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

omg, you don't think this means the honey-moon is over, do you?:eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whenever the DM show comes on, and I hear the theme song music, and I see PortWenn, boats, cows and funny rocks, I immediately get a big smile on my face. And, I feel so happy that DM is on, and so excited to see what's going to happen in this episode! Are you guys like that too?

I have the theme song as my ring-tone, and whenever someone calls me, they ask what took me so long to answer?
    (it's because I'm listening to the theme song! Haha). :p;):)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the promo photos for ep 4 the sign behind Bert at the restaurant says "Hot Jogs" 1£.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    omg, you don't think this means the honey-moon is over, do you?:eek:

No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can just about accept that DM is too insecure to initiate even a kiss and that LG is too exhausted, but if they don't have some romantic moments I shall be really fed up. :mad:
This discussion has been closed.