Oscar Predictions

Comments

• Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 80,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rfonzo wrote: »
    You never know. She is certainly the favorite. However, the Academy Awards likes a 'come back.' I remember Gene Hackman winning for Unforgiven and given that maybe Sally Field has a chance?

If she wins again (could be her 3rd Oscar), will she tell the audience: "You STILL really like me!"

Jessica Chastain and Naomi Watts may be up for Best Actress.

Amy Adams is an Academy favourite, so she may get her 4th Best Supporting Actress nomination, for The Master (but Anne Hathaway could win).

Daniel Day Lewis will probably win Best Actor for the third time (playing a real life character is always a bonus when it comes to getting nominated. Playing a historical American one is even better).

The French actress who stars in Amour may be nominated for Best Actress. And although she didn't get a Golden Globe nomination, the girl from Beasts Of The Southern Wild could be a surprise nomination.

Ben Affleck may get a Best Director nomination for Argo.

Seems there will be plenty of former winners bagging nominations. More than usual, anyway.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If she wins again (could be her 3rd Oscar), will she tell the audience: "You STILL really like me!"

Jessica Chastain and Naomi Watts may be up for Best Actress.

Amy Adams is an Academy favourite, so she may get her 4th Best Supporting Actress nomination, for The Master (but Anne Hathaway could win).

Daniel Day Lewis will probably win Best Actor for the third time (playing a real life character is always a bonus when it comes to getting nominated. Playing a historical American one is even better).

The French actress who stars in Amour may be nominated for Best Actress. And although she didn't get a Golden Globe nomination, the girl from Beasts Of The Southern Wild could be a surprise nomination.

Ben Affleck may get a Best Director nomination for Argo.

Seems there will be plenty of former winners bagging nominations. More than usual, anyway.

I hope, because that oscar speech she did is perhaps one of the most fakest and well rehearsed speeches ever.
  • delfsterdelfster Posts: 122
    Forum Member
    If anyone is interested, here are my tips for some of the Oscar categories. I'm not saying I'm an expert but for the past 5 years in a row I have won 4 figure sums betting on the Academy Awards, usually by identifying early value odds and who's going to get the momentum, before they actually get momentum in the awards season.

Best Film:

My gut feeling for a long time has been Argo. It has been nominated in all major categories in all the important awards shows so far and right now it's only competition is Lincoln. Current odds of 6/1 are vastly underpriced in my opinion and represent very good value.

Best Director:

Ben Affleck. Oscar like to reward actor turned directors (see Kevin Costner/Robert Redford) when the time is right in their careers and with Argo I am confident that Affleck has reached that point. Every other major contender already has an Oscar - it's Affleck's time (even if Argo doesn't win best film).

Best Actress:

Jessica Chastain. This is my most confident call. Since Toronto in September, Jennifer Lawrence has been the front runner but the way I see it Zero Dark Thirty will not win best film or best director and that will make Chastain's reward in the acting category even more likely. Also, Silver Linings is a lighter/comedic film in which Lawrence's character is not the storyteller and I don't see that trumping Chastain who is the absolute core performance in a film that has zeitgeist and critical appraisal across the board.

Best Supporting Actor:

Leonardo Dicaprio. The bookies have got this one wrong. The only reason he was not nominated for the SAG awards was that the voters didn't get to see the film because of its late release. I suspect his momentum will start after the film goes on general release at the end of Dec (already rave 5 stars by early critic's reviews) followed by the Golden Globe awards who love to reward the big Hollywood stars. Also, Dicaprio is due an Oscar having been nominated several times and never won and most of his competition have already been rewarded by the Academy - not to mention he is playing against type as a villain, and villains are a voter's favourite in the male supporting category.
  • Sick n SexifiedSick n Sexified Posts: 1,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chernobyl Diaries coming for that best picture oscar. :cool:
  • XIVXIV Posts: 21,544
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't be surprised if Les Miserables gets nominations but only a handful of wins like Best Song or Best Supporting Actress.

Best Animation I think the nominations will be Brave, Wreck it Ralph, Frankenweenie, Paranorman and Rise of the Guardians. My money's on Wreck it Ralph but I think either one of the stop motion films could pull an upset,
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 468
    Forum Member
    Can't believe Argo is up for nominations, when film-making has gone this bad you'll have to come up with a top 10 list somehow.

Even State of Play was better or even yet Gone baby gone which I don't think Affleck will ever top. His brother Casey delivered some fine acting along with Ed Harris.

Don't get me wrong, Argo was good (above average) but not worthy of these accolades its receiving compared to thrillers like Social Network, Inception, Departed etc;
  • Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Do we think for Best Actor is will be Bradley Cooper vs Daniel Day Lewis? From what I've read and other awards so far, it's looking that way
  • newkid30newkid30 Posts: 7,797
    Forum Member
    Surprised you guys are over looking The Master for best picture, far superior to Argo. I think Beasts of the Southern wilds will get best screenplay and possibly best actress nomination for the young newcomer. Moonrise Kingdom should get picture and cinematography nominations.
    Argo was great but not in top 5 for me.
    Whatever River Phoenix said about the awards he should still be nommed, his performance was one of the best male lead performances I've EVER seen.
    Hoffman should be a shoe in for supporting actor.
  • Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sez_babe wrote: »
    Do we think for Best Actor is will be Bradley Cooper vs Daniel Day Lewis? From what I've read and other awards so far, it's looking that way

I think it's a lock-in for Daniel Day-Lewis personally judging from what I've read...
  • Taz93Taz93 Posts: 13,315
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Naomi Watts for Best Actress. She is amazing in 'The Impossible'.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think it's a lock-in for Daniel Day-Lewis personally judging from what I've read...

Has he won any awards so far? Bradley's won a few but I know that's only a slight indicator. It looks as though Bradley will get a nomination, doesn't it?
    Taz93 wrote: »

Yeh she was amazing in that film! It would be very deserved.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 376
    Forum Member
    i think hugh jackman deserves a nod for best actor!
  • LMLM Posts: 63,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This year seems to be one of the strongest years in a while (for me personally) in the range of contenders for Best Actress.

Last year it was pretty much Meryl Vs Viola
    The year before, it was 100 per cent certain that Natalie Portman would win

Interesting year

Can't wait
  • TyjetTyjet Posts: 8,509
    Forum Member
    Lolno. Day-Lewis is a lock and Bradley will be lucky to get a nomination. I think he absolutely deserves a nomination, but if he does get in he's not going to be competitive.
    Taz93 wrote: »
    I'd rather she lose this year and go on to win for playing Diana next year. Diana would be a MUCH better film for her to win on. I think Best Actress is the acting category with the most uncertainty. Atm it's looking like either Jen or Jessica (my vote would go to Jen personally), but Naomi is actually pretty close to becoming a real contender.
    trac wrote: »
    i think hugh jackman deserves a nod for best actor!
    He'll get one :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tyjet wrote: »
    Lolno. Day-Lewis is a lock and Bradley will be lucky to get a nomination. I think he absolutely deserves a nomination, but if he does get in he's not going to be competitive.

Ah OK I understand :)

Can anyone remember when the Oscar nominations are announced?
    Forum Member
    Ah OK I understand :)

Can anyone remember when the Oscar nominations are announced?

Thursday at around 5:30am PT. So Thursday about half one for us :)
  • PANNAL1PANNAL1 Posts: 8,905
    Forum Member
    At the moment, there seems to be 4contenders who seem secure as nominees for best actor. Day Lewis, John Hawkes,joaquin Phoenix, and Denzel Washington. Bradley Cooper and Hugh Jackman seem to be battling for the final spot.
    Best actress seems a 2 horse race between Jennifer Lawrence Jessica Chastain. Phillip Seymour Hoffman and Anne Hathaway appear front runners in supporting categories. As always am sure a surprise nominee or two will be On the list.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Naomi was awesome in The Impossible. I would like to see the wee lad Lucas from the filmed nommed for Best Supporting Actor.
  • Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 80,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Cheers.

So we can expect the usual hysteria from the British news channels if the likes of Dench, Smith or Mirren get nominated yet again (and the Best Costume nomination; Brits always get a nod:D), with the other nominees barely getting a look in.

Oh, and Adele will be nominated for Best Song, with her Bond theme:yawn:
  • Cissy FairfaxCissy Fairfax Posts: 11,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jennifer Lawrence & Day Lewis are a shoe-in for best actress and actor.

Best film is a head to head between Lincoln & Les Mis, the former looks a cert but it may be closer than that.

Might be some value in Affleck or Bigelow in the Director, haven't seen either of them though.
  • _NiallDEE__NiallDEE_ Posts: 13,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really want Anne Hathaway to win Best Supporting Actress, from everything I've seen of Les Mis she seems absolutely amazing and totally deserves it, from what I've read nobody seems to have a bad word to say against her performance. I'm not really sure about the other acting categories, lots of the films that are big contenders haven't been released in UK yet so I can't really judge who I think should win them, although I think it's likely Jennifer Lawrence will win for Best Actress, the category doesn't look particularly strong this year.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Brilliant. Thanks :)

I'm really hoping that Bradley will get the final place. However, it's fantastic that he's got a Golden Globe nomination
  • gav016gav016 Posts: 5,836
    Forum Member
    Jennifer Lawrence & Day Lewis are a shoe-in for best actress and actor.

Best film is a head to head between Lincoln & Les Mis, the former looks a cert but it may be closer than that.

Might be some value in Affleck or Bigelow in the Director, haven't seen either of them though.

I agree Daniel Day Lewis has actor completely wrapped up, butas much as I want Jennifer Lawrence to win I'm not sure she has it in the bag yet. Jessica Chastian pretty much carried Zero Dark Thirty by herself (whereas J-Law was co-lead in Silver Linings Playbook) and has a fantastic body of work over the past 2-odd years, none of which she's been properly rewarded for, which works in her favour. Naomi Watts has momentum, only one nomination behind her when she's percieved as having deserved more, and the love-in for her from her fellow actors can't be harming anything too. Either way I think the Best Actress race is one of the most exciting in years, in terms of talent (last year being particularly stale imo comes to mind, Viola was robbed) and unpredictability.

Director will be interesting, I think Anne Hathaway has Supporting Actress in the bag, Supporting Actor is leaning towards Tommy Lee Jones I guess, but Leonardo DiCaprio could be a wildcard, and film is a straight shootout between Lincoln, Argo and Les Mis.

Either way I'm looking forward to watching this year.
    Forum Member
    Naomi *could* be a contender, but I don't think she'll win. IMO it'd be better for her to lose anyway because then she'd be more "due" to win next year for Diana which would be much more deserving.
  • jamespondojamespondo Posts: 6,040
    Forum Member
    I predict ParaNorman to win best animated feature and Hitchcock to win best makeup. Although I obviously haven't seen it, wouldn't be surprised if Cloud Atlas takes best visual effects from The Hobbit and Avengers.

Skyfall to take sound and cinematography; Dark Knight Rises to walk away empty handed.