Options

Dexter Season 8 (The Final Season) (US Pace) [Spoilers MUST be in tags!]

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 148
    Forum Member
    Truly am disappointed at the ending. So many story lines weren't concluded, like what was the point in Massuka's daughter? None of the main characters apart from Deb and Dexter got a satisfying ending...also, did anyone question where Deb's body went?

This episode and probably the whole season has tainted the whole show for me. Like I don't think I could re-watch the show again as all I would be thinking is "What's the point, as I know the ending will be crap!"

I just can't believe that after such amazing twists like the end of season 4 and end of season 6 etc, that they ended the show so blandly and poor.
  • Options
    woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A disappointing but expected ending to the show (after that poor season). There were far too many ridiculous moments, from Hannah's needling of Elway to Dex stealing a body in broad daylight from a hospital to (and I hate this in *any* TV show) the 'she's going to be fine. Wait, wait - she's dead' moment. This latter one really gives me the irrits - does the ploy ever fool anyone into believing the character is actually going to be ok?

Re: the last scene. Unbelievable. I'd have been happier had we last seen Dexter sail off into the eye of the hurricane. That way, we the viewers could then decide whether or not he killed himself (having allowed so many of his friends and loved ones to be killed or ruined) or had superhuman powers. We did NOT need it thrown in our faces that he was a magical hero who could outrun a storm from INSIDE the storm.

The clear impression from me is that the writers decided they couldn't give him a happy ending (because he didn't deserve one at this point) but they also didn't have the balls to kill him off. Heck, they didn't even have the balls to leave it ambiguous and let the viewers decide.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well said Hetal!

I think I get the underlying message of the show now. Dexter changes his mind so often he causes everything that happened to Deb, to Dr Vogel, to all the people he cared about and got a shitty ending for himself. If he had of stuck to killing Saxon early on, being what he was supposed to be - he could have had a happy life, Debs could have lived etc etc

Its symbolic of the writers not being able to stick to a single plot line, not writing and carrying on the show they originally were and so they gave us the viewers a shitty ending. Is that what we are supposed to get?
  • Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hetal wrote: »
    Oh we was paying attention. In your world you may think any random nonsense equals to dots being joined but I'll you provide you some points on why it doesn't.

He allowed Saxon to live and even that has consequences seeing as Deb got shot. So he changes his mind again and kills him to save more potential lives. Then that's it. He could have went to Argentina and be with his family as long he isn't stupid enough to pick more fights with serial killers. Afterall, the writers have been telling us once Saxon is 'dealt with' then he can go off with Hannah and Harrison because love has changed him and whatnot. Also, Deb wanted him to be happy and told him to go as well.

But no. At the last minute he decides to ignore Deb wishes. Later he drops her into the water so she has no hope of a proper funeral service. Does he really love his sister or what because that was just the final nail in the coffin in destroying his sister.

He then fakes his death somehow by driving into the hurricane. Is he invincible now? So we're now at the stage where he think it's better to leave his son with no family and expect his killer girlfriend to bring him up? LOL.

So at the last scene we see him as a lumberjack looking depressed. We're suppose to swallow that he did it all for love. Hilarious stuff.

Like I said. We was paying attention. But here's here the difference. We don't swallow any random BS the writers dish out like you do. Anything can look good on paper but the execution has to be good as well. It wasn't. It was a complete shambles.

Are you truly considering his actions based on the character's journey, what he's been though and what he would have been feeling at the time? ....or just judging him by your standards and comparing his actions to what you would have done? As ridiculous as all that may sound to you, if you take into consideration everything we've learned about the character in the last 8 years, his actions do stay true to that journey.
  • Options
    SteelEdgeSteelEdge Posts: 6,903
    Forum Member
    ?

This episode and probably the whole season has tainted the whole show for me. Like I don't think I could re-watch the show again as all I would be thinking is "What's the point, as I know the ending will be crap!"

I just can't believe that after such amazing twists like the end of season 4 and end of season 6 etc, that they ended the show so blandly and poor.

So right. I'm probably going to trade in my dvds of Seasons 1-6 next time I'm around a CEX store. I was planning to collect the entire series but I don't think I could watch it again (especially the stronger seasons) knowing that it's all leading up to the great fat stinking turd that was Season 8.
  • Options
    PaulJoseph22PaulJoseph22 Posts: 4,898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh we was paying attention. In your world you may think any random nonsense equals to dots being joined but I'll you provide you some points on why it doesn't.

He allowed Saxon to live and even that has consequences seeing as Deb got shot. So he changes his mind again and kills him to save more potential lives. Then that's it. He could have went to Argentina and be with his family as long he isn't stupid enough to pick more fights with serial killers. Afterall, the writers have been telling us once Saxon is 'dealt with' then he can go off with Hannah and Harrison because love has changed him and whatnot. Also, Deb wanted him to be happy and told him to go as well.
    As for the final scenes, they should have cut to credits when he was driving into the storm, to me that was the biggest insult to fans of the show.
    But no. At the last minute he decides to ignore Deb wishes. Later he drops her into the water so she has no hope of a proper funeral service. Does he really love his sister or what because that was just the final nail in the coffin in destroying his sister.

He then fakes his death somehow by driving into the hurricane. Is he invincible now? So we're now at the stage where he think it's better to leave his son with no family and expect his killer girlfriend to bring him up? LOL.

So at the last scene we see him as a lumberjack looking depressed. We're suppose to swallow that he did it all for love. Hilarious stuff.

Like I said. We was paying attention. But here's here the difference. We don't swallow any random BS the writers dish out like you do. Anything can look good on paper but the execution has to be good as well. It wasn't. It was a complete shambles.

Good points, such a dissapointing season and finale. I really don't get why he would dump Debs into the sea, like he did with all his victims? I get why he would want to kill her.Why not leave her in the hospital, she was dead, As for the final scenes, what an insult to the viewer, even cutting to credits would have been better as he drove into the storm. (I know that would have been bad as well but anything would have been better than that ending)
  • Options
    nate1970nate1970 Posts: 1,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really don't get why he would dump Debs into the sea, like he did with all his victims?
    Someone somewhere said it was because he felt that she really was a victim of his, that her death was directly his fault... and he buries all his victims at sea.
  • Options
    HetalHetal Posts: 5,415
    Forum Member
    RebelScum wrote: »
    Are you truly considering his actions based on the character's journey, what he's been though and what he would have been feeling at the time? ....or just judging him by your standards and comparing his actions to what you would have done? As ridiculous as all that may sound to you, if you take into consideration everything we've learned about the character in the last 8 years, his actions do stay true to that journey.

I'm judging him by his character.

Dexter killed his brother to save Deb way back in Season 1. Even back then we knew he cared about someone other than himself. Now he's ignoring her wishes about going to Argentina and even dumps her body into the water with no hope for a funeral.

The show has made it clear that Dex really loves Hannah from season 7 and Harrison from season 4. But let's look at it from their point of view.

Hannah is stuck with a kid that isn't hers and she is suppose to be bring him up in a foreign country without any support whatsoever? Where as Harrison is an 'orphan' who is either gonna be brought up by a non relative serial killer or dumped in the streets.

We're suppose to believe Dexter did it for love and is punishing himself when this alternative is not only worse for himself but his family as well. We're really suppose to swallow this? Really? REALLY?!
  • Options
    PaulJoseph22PaulJoseph22 Posts: 4,898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nate1970 wrote: »
    Someone somewhere said it was because he felt that she really was a victim of his, that her death was directly his fault... and he buries all his victims at sea.
    Thanks for reply.
    That still does not make sense to me, he really loved her. He disposed of his victims here as they were garbage to him, they were bad people..
  • Options
    FrankieFixerFrankieFixer Posts: 11,530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RebelScum wrote: »
    You're confusing lame decisions that the characters make with lame writing. Dexter is a far better emotionless monster than he is a fully emotional human being. In fact he's fairly crap at it.

The characters follow the lame writing to the letter. It's been a terrible season from start to finish.
  • Options
    FrankieFixerFrankieFixer Posts: 11,530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SteelEdge wrote: »
    The most laughable scene was when Angel and Vince were watching the tape of Dexter killing Saxon...

Angel: How are we going to explain this, Dexter?
    Dexter: It was self defence.
    Angel: Oh....well, that's ok then. Don't worry Dex, we'll sort this out. Now off you pop, go escape to Argentina. Bye.

Yeah that was terrible.
  • Options
    Jim_SJim_S Posts: 168
    Forum Member
    Hannah is stuck with a kid that isn't hers and she is suppose to be bring him up in a foreign country without any support whatsoever? Where as Harrison is an 'orphan' who is either gonna be brought up by a non relative serial killer or dumped in the streets.

We're suppose to believe Dexter did it for love and is punishing himself when this alternative is not only worse for himself but his family as well. We're really suppose to swallow this? Really? REALLY?!

this above is probably the biggest problem I had with the finale, he just leaves a son who he would do anything for and a woman who "has stopped his urge to kill" alone without him when he's alive

I understand the sentiment behind the "I destroy every life I get involved" in if he goes into the hurricane and we find out he died in it. Him being alive and not getting in contact with the two is not Dexter's character even with Deb's death which he is obviously a reason for. I reckon it was just an easy way to end it with the title character still alive for a lumberjack spin off where he goes back to give advice to an older Harrison who has the same problem that dad got rid of

any Dexter writers looking in, please don't bother doing that. Just leave the show as it is now ;)
  • Options
    Typ33Typ33 Posts: 57
    Forum Member
    Gratz to Michael C. Hall who got to feature in the best and worst series finales ever.

Crap.

I watched it all. I think I caught up on this show while season 4 or 5 was ongoing. It was never top tier but it was alright. Became plot-committed.

Something terrible happened. For sure it occurred right after the Lithgow season. Although there were a few stinkers before then, every single damn thing started to reek since the end of that season. Like can anyone even remember a single thing that happened during the Johnny Lee Miller season (The baddy who was in Trainspotting)? I can't.

One day someone on the inside will be able to write a book about that exact moment at that exact meeting on that exact day where they can pinpoint exactly what was said or done to make that show go into such a tailspin. I won't read it.
  • Options
    Penfolds_placePenfolds_place Posts: 865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SteelEdge wrote: »
    So right. I'm probably going to trade in my dvds of Seasons 1-6 next time I'm around a CEX store. I was planning to collect the entire series but I don't think I could watch it again (especially the stronger seasons) knowing that it's all leading up to the great fat stinking turd that was Season 8.

Same here, I am so disappointed in this season.

If they really wanted to go down the route of "love cures a psychopath of his need to kill" (Urgh), then why go with Hannah who, kills innocent people, betrayed him and poisoned his sister. Seriously? :mad:
  • Options
    nate1970nate1970 Posts: 1,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Typ33 wrote: »
    Something terrible happened. For sure it occurred right after the Lithgow season.

I think I'm right in saying that Clyde Phillips (variously executive producer / writer / showrunner) left at the end of season 4, and his leaving is often cited as the reason the show declined so noticeably.

But I thought season 2 was easily one of the worst, so... *shrug*... :sleep:
  • Options
    Jim_SJim_S Posts: 168
    Forum Member
    Typ33 wrote: »
    One day someone on the inside will be able to write a book about that exact moment at that exact meeting on that exact day where they can pinpoint exactly what was said or done to make that show go into such a tailspin. I won't read it.

Clyde Phillips stopped running the show after season 4
  • Options
    Penfolds_placePenfolds_place Posts: 865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nate1970 wrote: »
    I think I'm right in saying that Clyde Phillips (variously executive producer / writer / showrunner) left at the end of season 4, and his leaving is often cited as the reason the show declined so noticeably.

But I thought season 2 was easily one of the worst, so... *shrug*... :sleep:

I am not a big fan of season 2 either. Season 1 was near perfect for me and I stopped watching after 2. Then I thought I would give it another chance and watch 3 which I really liked.
  • Options
    HetalHetal Posts: 5,415
    Forum Member
    I am not a big fan of season 2 either. Season 1 was near perfect for me and I stopped watching after 2. Then I thought I would give it another chance and watch 3 which I really liked.

I think only season 1 was great. The others were decent but not on the same level. I think season 4 is overrated. Anything to do with Trinity was good but the rest was truly bad in my opinion. Even Rita's death was weak. Just a shock value and nothing more.

I don't know why I stuck with the show for so long actually. Maybe because TV wasn't as good at the time and it took me a while to get into shows like Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones etc that are truly golden quality.
  • Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm judging him by his character.

Dexter killed his brother to save Deb way back in Season 1. Even back then we knew he cared about someone other than himself. Now he's ignoring her wishes about going to Argentina and even dumps her body into the water with no hope for a funeral.

The show has made it clear that Dex really loves Hannah from season 7 and Harrison from season 4. But let's look at it from their point of view.

Hannah always wanted kids, she discussed this with Dexter last season. It's a very emotive issue to her, that's why she bonded with Harrison. She doesn't see Harrison as someone she is stuck with. I doubt very much she would dump him in the streets. :eek:

She's a woman of means, she had her own business and was later married to a millionaire, I think she would have managed to have put away some funds for a rainy day.

Why is it worse? See, you say you are looking at it from his point of view, but if you really were, I feel you wouldn't have reached that conclusion. Here's why; Dexter understands that Hannah is a killer. But he knows she isn't a crazy evil out of control bitch type killer, she kills for self protection and preservation. That now protection now extends to Harrison. Dexter believes she will lay her life on the line for him. In that sense he feels Harrison is in the safest hands he could be in.
  • Options
    Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They should have ended it with him sailing into the storm. Dumping Deb at sea wouldn't have seemed so bad then, IMO.
  • Options
    Logan FiveLogan Five Posts: 627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought the ending was OK and maybe's it's left it open to make a return sometime in the future. Having watched Dexter from Day 1, I'm sad to see 'the end'. Been a great show, even if the final season was something of a disappointment.

At least I got to perv at the lovely Hannah though. :)
  • Options
    Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Logan Five wrote: »
    I thought the ending was OK and maybe's it's left it open to make a return sometime in the future. Having watched Dexter from Day 1, I'm sad to see 'the end'. Been a great show, even if the final season was something of a disappointment.

At least I got to perv at the lovely Hannah though. :)

They always seem to cop out at the end with a lot of shows, just in case they want to bring the main character back.
  • Options
    D. MorganD. Morgan Posts: 4,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What an embarrassment.

For me, Dexter is Seasons 1-4. Everything after that is a bad dream.

Deb dying, felt wrong. Dexter should have been the one to die and Deb should have been left alone to raise Harrison (Harrison found in Dexter's blood next to his body would have been great).

Hannah McKay was awful, why would Dexter leave his child with her? Bizarre.

What about Angel, Quinn, Masouka, Matthews, Jamie? Why did nobody find out Dexter's secret? Justice for Maria, or Doakes even? For so long we've been waiting to see how everybody reacts to his big secret and we get this cop out.

As a fan of the show from Day 1, I'm truly pissed off.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have loved this show the whole way through, unlike others i've even loved this season. But the finale - absolutely abysmal. Even a predictable and cheesy off into the sunset with Hannah would have been better than that.
  • Options
    dannyb0yukdannyb0yuk Posts: 2,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As much as I've enjoyed this show, that ending was shit.