Options

Can Liverpool still win the league now?

Comments

• Options
    jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well how about wanting to finish above United?

I was as gutted as the players when Gerrard passed that ball back to Drogba in 2010. It didn't even register with me what it meant to the title race.
  • Options
    innitrichieinnitrichie Posts: 9,795
    Forum Member
    Total rubbish, I'm afraid.

Chelsea won 2-0. Were you 'laughing' at the final whistle?

Are you in any position to speak for 'neutrals'?

Of course I wasn't laughing after the game. Mourinho tried to cheat us out of the title with vile time wasting tactics and 11 men behind the ball. But one result doesn't end this race. We go again and again until the very final whistle has blown and we can go no more.

Go read all the websites and comments all the fans are behind us. We score hundreds of goals we entertain everyone and we respect opponents who play fair and by the rules. We deserve this title and if we don't win it it will be a complete and utter joke.
  • Options
    Eye ItchEye Itch Posts: 671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    aurichie wrote: »
    Of course I wasn't laughing after the game. Mourinho tried to cheat us out of the title with vile time wasting tactics and 11 men behind the ball. But one result doesn't end this race. We go again and again until the very final whistle has blown and we can go no more.

Go read all the websites and comments all the fans are behind us. We score hundreds of goals we entertain everyone and we respect opponents who play fair and by the rules. We deserve this title and if we don't win it it will be a complete and utter joke.

You sound like you've only just started supporting Liverpool. Stop being so childish and bitter. Like I mentioned earlier, Carragher has said he's 'time wasted' playing for them. Anyone who hasn't supported Liverpool for five minutes already knows that.

If Liverpool win the title, then they deserve to, If they don't, then they didn't deserve to. It's as simple as that. No team has ever deserved to win the title when they actually haven't.
  • Options
    Big PoyBig Poy Posts: 7,484
    Forum Member

Your either a new fan or one just one who's sense of entitlement has come back the soon as your back challenging at the top.

Both are just as bad.
  • Options
    Jim De VilleJim De Ville Posts: 16,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Ha ha ha!

This is exactly the attitude that gives Liverpool fans a bad name.

If Liverpool win the title, congratulations. If they don't, have the good grace to admit that they were beaten by a better team, regardless of who it is.
  • Options
    BobbyNoMatesBobbyNoMates Posts: 1,195
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Don't really have much to add to the cavalcade of rebukes you've already had, but I just wanted to say that every team has fans like you. All the other supporters really hope that fans like you don't post or tweet or phone in to TalkSport, because they just know that whatever guff you come out with will be doing the rounds on RAWK/RedCafe etc within 10 minutes, propping up whatever stereotype fits your team.

Maybe you should spare a thought for your fellow Pool supporters and just stay quiet next time?
  • Options
    CGG_12CGG_12 Posts: 7,483
    Forum Member
    Jokanovic wrote: »
    I would say most Everyon fans would be happy with a defeat on Saturday. I can't imagine any want to hand the title to Liverpool.
    As for one point to get into Europe ? Is that really an attraction ?
    However, I do think the players will go out to try and win as that's their job. The key will be if they go behind how they will react.
    This season has been very unpredictable. Liverpool even challenging was not expected, let's be fair. There maybe more twists.

This is the main point

I can really imagine Sylvan Distin, Delofeu and Alcaraz wanting to lose a match to hand a team they probably know f-all about till they moved to England the title. As I say many of their players may even wish Liverpool win the league

The way people go on you'd swear a random portion of the most die-hard anti-Liverpool supporters from the stand were being selected to play.

As I say there's definitely a case of some (SOME- a very small minority might I add) Liverpool supporters either being negative for the sake of it, or looking to come out with "well I told you so" if City win and blame it all on their rivals. Christ lads ye're in a title race ye'd no right to be in judging on the last few seasons, ye've been a breath of fresh air, bloody enjoy it!!! Ye may well be two wins from a title and I personally think ye'll still win it
  • Options
    South Coast52South Coast52 Posts: 5,381
    Forum Member
    Mark F wrote: »
    Liverpool asking for favours from their neighbours now - I wonder how the Everton fans will see things...

Hope to win to keep in contention for 4th or lose so Liverpool cannot win the league!

Most would want the former surely despite the rivalry?
    Agreed.

As a passionate Liverpool supporter, were the roles reversed on Saturday and Everton would win the title if we drew or lost against City I would still want Liverpool to go all out for a win.

I always want my club to win every game, no matter how it affects other clubs.

I have no doubt that Everton will do their very best on Saturday. If City win and go on to win the title, I will not be blaming Everton. Apart from anything else, the season is 38 matches, not one match.
  • Options
    007Fusion007Fusion Posts: 3,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They're two points clear at the top of the table. And if they continue to score without conceding, they'll improve their goal difference.

Also, Manchester City still need to win games to ensure they don't falter.
  • Options
    snukrsnukr Posts: 19,729
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Everton will be playing to win on Saturday and most of their supporters won't expect anything less, I would expect the same, I was a probably in a minority in '95 when I wanted us to beat Blackburn, simply because I want us to win every game no matter how unimportant it is for us or what the consequences regarding other teams will be.

Everton have a good record against City in recent seasons, though that counts for nothing on Saturday. While they've still got an outside chance of qualifying for the CL they've got to go for it. I don't think theirs any chance of them missing out on an EL place.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    snukr wrote: »
    Everton will be playing to win on Saturday and most of their supporters won't expect anything less, I would expect the same, I was a probably in a minority in '95 when I wanted us to beat Blackburn, simply because I want us to win every game no matter how unimportant it is for us or what the consequences regarding other teams will be.

Everton have a good record against City in recent seasons, though that counts for nothing on Saturday. While they've still got an outside chance of qualifying for the CL they've got to go for it. I don't think theirs any chance of them missing out on an EL place.

According to the supporters in the Everton thread that's not guaranteed. I can't see them risking leaving it til the last day to ensure it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Big Poy wrote: »
    Your either a new fan or one just one who's sense of entitlement has come back the soon as your back challenging at the top.

Both are just as bad.

I'm not a new fan. I've been a Liverpool supporter since the 1989 season when I was just a kid wearing the Candy shirt and the title was lost to Arsenal. I watched Graeme Souness rip our team apart, nice man Evans continue the malaise and then Benitez win us a glorious European cup but year in, year out, prioritising on European competition over fielding our best teams in the league. I try to erase Hodgson and Kenny's return from my memory because both ended in bitter disappointment for different reasons.

So you see I've been waiting this long to see my team win the league, and this year we definitely deserve to win it. There are no ifs or buts about it. We have been the best team and we will be the rightful champions.

Nobody can deny Stevie G deserves a winners medal before he retires. He is quite probably the most complete midfielder England has ever produced. There has to be a twist that puts us back on top (and I think it comes at Everton). I refuse to believe this world could be so cruel to let us get this close after waiting all these decades only to rip it away from us at the last.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some fan you are not even remembering every manager.
  • Options
    Jim De VilleJim De Ville Posts: 16,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nobody can deny Stevie G deserves a winners medal before he retires.

Wrong.

I can. He'll only 'deserve' one if he wins one.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Some fan you are not even remembering every manager.

I wasn't even trying to remember every manager. I was just noting our most notable struggles to return to the top of English football. I should have noted the shared role between Houllier and Evans which was a stupid idea from the start. But Houllier did alright for us when he had the job on his own. It was a really tough time to be a manger of the football club.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    007Fusion wrote: »
    They're two points clear at the top of the table. And if they continue to score without conceding, they'll improve their goal difference.

Also, Manchester City still need to win games to ensure they don't falter.

We (LFC) are unlikely to improve our GD anywhere near enough. I posted this earlier in the Liverpool thread.

City are currently 58 to our 50 so a lead of 8. If they win their final 3 matches their GD will be a minimum of 61 and probably a lot more.

I can't see us winning our final 2 matches by an aggregate margin of 11 goals or more.

Although a 6 or 7 goal rout at Palace (unlikely I know) would set things up for a very exciting final game versus Newcastle.

We need a favour from Everton on Saturday. That is far more likely to happen than us overtaking City's GD.
  • Options
    JokanovicJokanovic Posts: 12,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well how about wanting to finish above United?

I was as gutted as the players when Gerrard passed that ball back to Drogba in 2010. It didn't even register with me what it meant to the title race.

Finish above United ? Liverpool fans last season said Everton being above them was meaningless so why would Everton fans be any different with United ?
    Thats clutching at straws.

The main thing is Everton players are professional and will want to win.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    We need a favour from Everton on Saturday. That is far more likely to happen than us overtaking City's GD.

Spot on.

We need to forget dangerous notions of trying to run up cricket scores in our final two games. We just need to win both matches and I know we will be champions.

Even if City win on Saturday (I don't think they will), we cannot rule out something silly happening in either the Villa or West Ham games. As red nev pointed out on MNF last night, Villa are a team capable of crazy things against the bigger sides. And West Ham have previous for denying waiting champions the victory they need against all the odds.
  • Options
    CGG_12CGG_12 Posts: 7,483
    Forum Member
    Spot on.

We need to forget dangerous notions of trying to run up cricket scores in our final two games. We just need to win both matches and I know we will be champions.

Even if City win on Saturday (I don't think they will), we cannot rule out something silly happening in either the Villa or West Ham games. As red nev pointed out on MNF last night, Villa are a team capable of crazy things against the bigger sides. And West Ham have previous for denying waiting champions the victory they need against all the odds.

Definitely, I think Villa have beaten three of the top 4 (Arsenal, City, Chelsea) and drew with Liverpool away this season so far, if I'm correct?
  • Options
    BobbyNoMatesBobbyNoMates Posts: 1,195
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not a new fan. I've been a Liverpool supporter since the 1989 season when I was just a kid wearing the Candy shirt and the title was lost to Arsenal. I watched Graeme Souness rip our team apart, nice man Evans continue the malaise and then Benitez win us a glorious European cup but year in, year out, prioritising on European competition over fielding our best teams in the league. I try to erase Hodgson and Kenny's return from my memory because both ended in bitter disappointment for different reasons.

So you see I've been waiting this long to see my team win the league, and this year we definitely deserve to win it. There are no ifs or buts about it. We have been the best team and we will be the rightful champions.

Nobody can deny Stevie G deserves a winners medal before he retires. He is quite probably the most complete midfielder England has ever produced. There has to be a twist that puts us back on top (and I think it comes at Everton). I refuse to believe this world could be so cruel to let us get this close after waiting all these decades only to rip it away from us at the last.

So if City win the title, having played exactly the same number of games as Liverpool, will they not deserve it? Or will it just be luck?
  • Options
    seelleeseellee Posts: 10,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CGG_12 wrote: »
    Definitely, I think Villa have beaten three of the top 4 (Arsenal, City, Chelsea) and drew with Liverpool away this season so far, if I'm correct?

Is that with or without Benteke though? To be honest Villa are absolutely bloody dire at the minute. So I'm not even looking at that game for dropped points.
    I think we just need to win 2 games and see what happens. If Man City are to win it. Let's make them win it on goal difference.
    Another aspect to the game on Saturday is that it's not just in Liverpools interests should Everton not lose. It's also in Chelseas. I'm pretty sure Chelsea fans are hoping for something too unless they've put all their eggs in the CL basket?! Who's to say if City Draw Liverpool win both games.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So if City win the title, having played exactly the same number of games as Liverpool, will they not deserve it? Or will it just be luck?
    They will deserve it but there is always an element of luck every season.

They were lucky to beat Liverpool at The Etihad as that should have been a draw but every team suffers and every team benefits from poor or dubious refereeing decisions every season.

Liverpool have had their share of lucky decisions this season too.

If City win the title it will be fully deserved. (ignoring their significant financial advantages)

But of course they won't as Liverpool are going to win it. :D
  • Options
    swaydogswaydog Posts: 5,653
    Forum Member
    They will deserve it but there is always an element of luck every season.

They were lucky to beat Liverpool at The Etihad as that should have been a draw but every team suffers and every team benefits from poor or dubious refereeing decisions every season.

Liverpool have had their share of lucky decisions this season too.

If City win the title it will be fully deserved. (ignoring their significant financial advantages)

But of course they won't as Liverpool are going to win it. :D

Liverpool had the wrong offside decision and a blatant penalty denied at the City, that could have been a 6 point swing. Then 2 strong claims for a penalty against Chelsea, which could/should have been another 3/6 point swing.
    With a different ref at both those games, Liverpool could have been celebrating the title after the Norwich game.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    swaydog wrote: »
    Liverpool had the wrong offside decision and a blatant penalty denied at the City, that could have been a 6 point swing. Then 2 strong claims for a penalty against Chelsea, which could/should have been another 3/6 point swing.
    With a different ref at both those games, Liverpool could have been celebrating the title after the Norwich game.
    I agree with you but there have also been instances when we have benefited from bad decisions too. Skrtel's recent "handball" and his other unnoticed or unpunished infringements in the penalty box for example. There have probably also been instances were City and Chelsea lost out due to poor decisions.

Frustrating though those two examples you give are to Liverpool supporters, we will get no joy out of blaming them if we don't win the title. We will just look like sore losers.

I've supported Liverpool for many decades and I have seen us get lucky or get wrong decisions in our favour in matches that ultimately won us the title or a cup. The "ghost goal" that Moaning Maureen is obsessed with is just one example that led to a CL title win in 2005. Had it not been given Cech would probably have been been sent off but we might have missed the penalty, lost the match and Istanbul might have happened to Chelsea.

We have to take the rough with the smooth and, if City win, we have to congratulate them and try even harder next season to win the title.

But they won't.

Have faith. Everton will take points off them on Saturday. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jokanovic wrote: »
    Finish above United ? Liverpool fans last season said Everton being above them was meaningless so why would Everton fans be any different with United ?
    Thats clutching at straws.

The main thing is Everton players are professional and will want to win.

They still want European football. They aren't going to let United pip them for that.