Festival of Remembrance

2»

Comments

• Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tellystar wrote: »
    I've listened to all the other versions, and while they are all better than Joss Stones'sversion, I still find the haunting version by the Fureys by far the best.
    I cannot imagine why Joss Stone was asked to do this tribute.
    It was embarrassingly bad.

Joss Stone has been putting in a lot of appearances for the RBL Poppy Appeal, her GG GF was killed in WWI.
  • Options
    TellystarTellystar Posts: 12,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    Joss Stone has been putting in a lot of appearances for the RBL Poppy Appeal, her GG GF was killed in WWI.

Ruining this lovely song was hardly a fitting tribute, then!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    Can anyone tell me the song in the background which starts at around 1 hour 28mins 30 seconds ?

Has been rattling my brain.

It is available on iplayer to view, if anyone can tell me it would be much appreciated.

• Options
    BryanandLucBryanandLuc Posts: 1,056
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loved the variation on Abide With Me at the end, a family hymn always sung at every family funeral since grandfathers
    Re Joss Stone, her "screeching" was awful. Am just wading through the Tudors and saw her as Ann of Cleeves
  • Options
    susieroesusieroe Posts: 19
    Forum Member
    Thank you to Jim Radford - 'The Shores of Normandy', and John Tams - 'Warhorse'. Thank goodness for them. Please keep screeching females away from this festival' Joss Stone could have completely ruined the solemn and moving service if it hadn't been for everyone else who took part.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    My ears! She screeched and shouted her way through that song. I heard the odd word i.e. 19, and 1916 but think that was her choir actually. I had no idea of the words she was "singing". She was dreadful.
    goldberry1 wrote: »
    Joss Stone murdered her song - just awful.

I have just watched this on catch up. No subtitles unfortunately.

It was just not good enough. >:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »
    I have just watched this on catch up. No subtitles unfortunately.

It was just not good enough. >:(

Joss Stone was chosen by the British Legion to front this year's campaign with her charity single.
    I have sent them an email expressing my disappointment at her dreadful rendition of this lovely song
  • Options
    red29red29 Posts: 318
    Forum Member
    Can anyone tell me the song in the background which starts at around 1 hour 28mins 30 seconds ?

It is available on iplayer to view, if anyone can tell me it would be much appreciated.

It's the score to the film The Mission, I would really recommend it as a beautiful soundtrack, it was played quite a lot last night.
  • Options
    owen10owen10 Posts: 127,999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It has been a nice day today to remember the soldiers that lost their lives to keep us safe
  • Options
    matchmakermatchmaker Posts: 1,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joss Stone was chosen by the British Legion to front this year's campaign with her charity single.
    I have sent them an email expressing my disappointment at her dreadful rendition of this lovely song

I downloaded The Corries performing it live and played to my wife. She was in tears - of emotion!
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 23,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dekaf wrote: »
    Lovely service. The only bad point was Joss Stone. Just dreadful!!

Call me old fashioned but couldn't she have taken her nose ring out beforehand?
  • Options
    seawitchseawitch Posts: 581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I think the piece you are referring to is Ennio Morricone's "Gabriel's Oboe." As red29 pointed out, it was used in the film "The Mission.|"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just heard on Sky paper review that the BBC has snubbed this charity single.
    Seems not many others liked it either!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What does 'snubbed' mean?

Banned it?
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 23,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    What does 'snubbed' mean?

Banned it?

I think it's not on the playlist.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,062
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dodrade wrote: »
    Call me old fashioned but couldn't she have taken her nose ring out beforehand?

Nor did I see evidence of a poppy on her outfit, although her guitarist had one on his guitar. But then what do you expect of a girl who didn't appear to know what Band Aid single was all about. She was asked to take part on the last one, and you would have thought she would have made sure she at least knew what is was for.

Apart from Joss Stone, a very moving service and production.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Denied by the BBC this morning
  • Options
    kernow19kernow19 Posts: 1,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MJS wrote: »
    Nor did I see evidence of a poppy on her outfit, although her guitarist had one on his guitar.

"Her guitarist" who happens to be Jeff Beck, winner of 7 Grammy awards and ranked 5th in Rolling Stones magazines list of 100 greatest guitarists of all time.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,062
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kernow19 wrote: »
    "Her guitarist" who happens to be Jeff Beck, winner of 7 Grammy awards and ranked 5th in Rolling Stones magazines list of 100 greatest guitarists of all time.

Thanks - I didn't realise that. His playing was superb. A pity I couldn't say the same about Joss Stone's caterwauling.
  • Options
    kernow19kernow19 Posts: 1,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Practically every word is clear and distinct on this version. Could Ms Stone have been done a disservice and the fault for Saturday nights poor sound quality lie elsewhere?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXine6anfG4
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dodrade wrote: »
    I think it's not on the playlist.

So it is not quite so dramatic as it sounded.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MJS wrote: »
    Nor did I see evidence of a poppy on her outfit, although her guitarist had one on his guitar. But then what do you expect of a girl who didn't appear to know what Band Aid single was all about. She was asked to take part on the last one, and you would have thought she would have made sure she at least knew what is was for.

Apart from Joss Stone, a very moving service and production.

I am sure I saw something fluttering down early in her song. I thought it was just a stray Poppy from the roof but suspect it just came off her dress, I thought I saw something on the floor afterwards. She has certainly been wearing a Poppy previously so I don't think she was being disrespecful.