Options

Things that have disappeared from everyday life

Comments

• Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Coal fires

They were brilliant.......the settee and armchairs arranged around the fire, the living flames, flickering light around the room, sending Dad out to the coal hole for another bucketful, the prodding, poking, chucking bits of waste stuff on, the brass metalwork paraphernalia associated with it like the tongs, poker, shovel, the firelighters, making up firelighters from newspaper, clearing the ash away in the morning

Being first home in the evening and lighting the fire........having it all to yourself, control of the poker........:D

For thousands of years human beings in their family or extended groups have sat around live fires........the domestic fire has been at the heart of human history

Not any more.......shame really
  • Options
    Dragonlady 25Dragonlady 25 Posts: 8,587
    Forum Member
    swingaleg wrote: »
    Coal fires

They were brilliant.......the settee and armchairs arranged around the fire, the living flames, flickering light around the room, sending Dad out to the coal hole for another bucketful, the prodding, poking, chucking bits of waste stuff on, the brass metalwork paraphernalia associated with it like the tongs, poker, shovel, the firelighters, making up firelighters from newspaper, clearing the ash away in the morning

Being first home in the evening and lighting the fire........having it all to yourself, control of the poker........:D

For thousands of years human beings in their family or extended groups have sat around live fires........the domestic fire has been at the heart of human history

Not any more.......shame really

I loved the coal fire. Where we lived the insulation in the house was non-existent so we'd all crowd round the fire. Our fronts would be toasty-warm while our backs were perishing. :o
  • Options
    sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Proper embroidered hankerchiefs:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    sandydune wrote: »

all hankies have disappeared !

people used to carry them round shoved up the sleeve of their jumper or cardigan.......:D
  • Options
    sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    swingaleg wrote:

people used to carry them round shoved up the sleeve of their jumper or cardigan.......:D

:D

Those were the old days, my friend, ideal pressie for christmas:D
  • Options
    Fibromite59Fibromite59 Posts: 22,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The advent crown on Blue Peter leading up to Christmas. The Blue Peter Summer Expedition.
  • Options
    Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    I loved the coal fire. Where we lived the insulation in the house was non-existent so we'd all crowd round the fire. Our fronts would be toasty-warm while our backs were perishing. :o

I loved going for a walk in winter and smelling the smoke from coal fires.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A Father Christmas being in lots of shops and standing outside of shops waving to the kids. Now there are very few of them and it costs a fortune to take a child to see one.
  • Options
    WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »

people used to carry them round shoved up the sleeve of their jumper or cardigan.......:D[/QUOTE]

Ewwwwww! I'm glad to see the back of the snotty, germ-ridden things :o
  • Options
    jabegyjabegy Posts: 6,201
    Forum Member
    when I was a kid on a sunday we used to have a man with a horse and cart come round the streets loaded up with winkles, whelks, shrimps, jellied eels, and that was our sunday tea, I used to love it.
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A Father Christmas being in lots of shops and standing outside of shops waving to the kids. Now there are very few of them and it costs a fortune to take a child to see one.

That is because parents will sue Santa for being a pedo.
  • Options
    EStaffs90EStaffs90 Posts: 13,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The advent crown on Blue Peter leading up to Christmas. The Blue Peter Summer Expedition.

Do they still do the bring and buy sales to raise money for their chosen fundraising scheme?
  • Options
    BadLadAshBadLadAsh Posts: 28,490
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Them little black recycle boxes with "We recycle" on them in white letters.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,341
    Forum Member
    That is because parents will sue Santa for being a pedo.

Something really must be done about the newspapers and their paedo epidemic scare mongering (imagine their reaction if it got out that one of their regular columnists was found out as a paedo themselves).
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thick pea souper fogs, I loved walking in the fog when you couldn't see your hand in front of your face, and the silence because the traffic had stopped running.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EStaffs90 wrote: »
    Do they still do the bring and buy sales to raise money for their chosen fundraising scheme?

No, they only seem to encourage the kids to support Children in Need now. Seems such a shame as they used to learn so much about charities and life it different countries through it. It's kind of as if they can't be bothered now.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,168
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You never see coal bunkers in gardens or small pieces of coal at the side of roads/down back lanes any more.

Or "Solid State" written on consumer electronics.
  • Options
    Lucy Van PeltLucy Van Pelt Posts: 11,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Keynsham
    That's K E Y N S H A M.

Love the song Keynsham by the Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band (great piano and flute)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vM3EqSf_V_g

other items :

Mr Men Ice Lollies

Golden Cup Chocolate Bars (they were yummy)

Wendy's Burger Bars

Every third person walking down the high street with a Benetton top

Red ants (they used to invade the gardens in the late 70s - vanished now)

Chip Pans in the the home kitchen (probably best that they went)

Ever Ready Batteries

Tom and Jerry / Looney Tune cartoons being randomly shown on the BBC (sadly missed)

Fancy erasers in the shape of things like a strawberry and smelt like one which all the girls at school (including me) were mad about collecting
  • Options
    bookcoverbookcover Posts: 6,216
    Forum Member
    sandydune wrote: »

I still use them, also have some rather beautiful lace ones, that belonged to my grandmother. She always had one tucked in her watch strap.:)
  • Options
    bookcoverbookcover Posts: 6,216
    Forum Member
    Tin baths in front of the fire...cleanest one in first, was the rule.

The mangle.

Traditional Windolene is becoming a nightmare to source now loved the smell of it, and it done a better job then the sprays.

Izal type hard Loo paper in all public and Gov buildings.

Nurses in hats, along with crisp aprons, arm bands and highly polished shoes.

Matron....oh er. :o

Paraffin heaters.

Bus clippies. Although I do believe they are being re-introduced in some parts of the Country.

Head teachers in gowns and mortar boards, cane under the arm. :o

Groceries delivered by a boy on a bike, with a big basket.

Beer being delivered by horse and cart.

Metal dustbins.

Luncheon vouchers, as a perk of the job.

Green shield stamps.

A thriving high street, before supermarkets.

Wimpy's are pretty scarce now too.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The paraffin man - boom boom boom boom esso blue
    The corona man, we used to get 3d back on the bottles
    Outside toilets :-( I was always scared a spider would crawl up my bum :-(
  • Options
    Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The paraffin man - boom boom boom boom esso blue
    The corona man, we used to get 3d back on the bottles
    Outside toilets :-( I was always scared a spider would crawl up my bum :-(

Like this? :D

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/v5h_SGV5SYA/hqdefault.jpg

And no it's not a fake or photoshop it's the Giant Huntsman (Heteropda maxima).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Of course some of these disappearances are symbiotic.....

For example as the outside toilet has disappeared so has the potty or chamber pot and the commode........
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,341
    Forum Member
    Did Corona go bust or get taken over?

United biscuits
    Peperami noodles
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aerials on top of the telly (or a coathanger :D )

That '3 wheels on my waggon' plasticine animation song they used to fill in time between programmes, like the potter's wheel

Public information cartoons "This is where I get out and walk, and I’m staying out of that pram till mums and motorists realise - Crossing with a pram takes time!"
    There was a swimming one too.