Options

The Non Themed Shows. Bland?

RedOrDead36RedOrDead36 Posts: 1,629
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Ratings are showing themed shows rate higher than a traditional vanilla show.

SCD needs more themed shows to stay at top of the tree. Like DWTS with dance fusions, acoustic vs non acoustic weeks etc. Literally a theme is required every week I would suggest.

Take Frankie's VW from last night, great dance in it's own right but very bland for the viewer especially when comparing it to say her Wicked Tango.

I know the traditionalists will argue against, but I think more themed weeks are required.

Comments

• Options
    StigOfTheKrumpStigOfTheKrump Posts: 36,363
    Forum Member
    God no.
  • Options
    dancing.queendancing.queen Posts: 14,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Theme weeks are the worst for shoehorning inappropriate music into the dances, so a definite no to more.
  • Options
    MonksealMonkseal Posts: 12,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think there's an awful lot of evidence that theme weeks in general rate better. Blackpool appears to prompt a ratings bump, but that's slightly different. I really don't think you're going to engage a greater audience in the demographic Strictly's aimed at with "Acoustic TV Theme Tunes That Remind Me Of When My Dad Died Week" or whatever bollocks Dancing With The Stars does.
  • Options
    holly berryholly berry Posts: 14,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a vicious circle. Themed weeks can become more and more bizarre in order to generate interest until the viewing public is sick of them.

This is a case of less really is more. Themed weeks are not special if there are too many of them :o
  • Options
    mimi dlcmimi dlc Posts: 13,423
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Monkseal wrote: »
    I don't think there's an awful lot of evidence that theme weeks in general rate better. Blackpool appears to prompt a ratings bump, but that's slightly different. I really don't think you're going to engage a greater audience in the demographic Strictly's aimed at with "Acoustic TV Theme Tunes That Remind Me Of When My Dad Died Week" or whatever bollocks Dancing With The Stars does.

You just know that the producers are saying "ah no, we need your dad memory to be to a slightly faster song..."
  • Options
    perdiedumplingperdiedumpling Posts: 8,540
    Forum Member
    mimi dlc wrote: »
    You just know that the producers are saying "ah no, we need your dad memory to be to a slightly faster song..."

"Could you say your dad's favourite dance was the Charleston and he just loved the Benny Hill theme music?"
  • Options
    Stuart25Stuart25 Posts: 12,217
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wasn't the movie theme week (week three) the lowest rated SCD show in years?
  • Options
    jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hate theme weeks (Blackpool is different) so no.

Mind I would do away with props as well.
  • Options
    EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do not like the themed weeks at all. The Hallowee'en one is particularly painful.
  • Options
    DiamondDollDiamondDoll Posts: 21,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As usual I'm in a minority of one. :cry:

I enjoy the themed weeks. :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 34
    Forum Member
    I have to admit, movies week is awesome the first time they did it. The grace & emotion from Pamela Stephenson's Viennese Waltz, the fury of Kara Tointon's Tango, the fun & cheeky Jive from Matt Baker, the hot shirtless Paso from Scott Maslen with Ann being the usual.

Series 9 had it ok-ish, Series 10 was beyond weird, with Michael's "hot it was not" Cha Cha, Jerry Hall's osteoporosis Quickstep and the start of the end for Sid Owen.

I do have to say Halloween week used to be so awesome, but now there every other dance can have props, it doesn't seem as great as it used to be. With Blackpool having extra back up dancers, Halloween week seems rather tame now.

But, just watch DWTS's themed weeks and you'll find Strictly tame beyond words.

From this season alone...

'My Jam Monday' (rather irrelevant)
    'Movie Week' (a good number of them had no link to the movie, or were flat out weird)
    'My Most Memorable Year' (something Strictly could do, but I don't see it panning out)
    'Switch-Up Night' (would be interesting but totally against the point of Strictly)
    'Dynamic Duos' (A Cha Cha as Batman & Robin is funny though)
    'America's Choice' (Not a bad choice)
    'Plugged & Unplugged' (If they can do a better job, I'd be impressed)
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Theme weeks are the worst for shoehorning inappropriate music into the dances, so a definite no to more.
    Not to mention stupid props that get in the way of the dance.
  • Options
    mimi dlcmimi dlc Posts: 13,423
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have to admit, movies week is awesome the first time they did it. The grace & emotion from Pamela Stephenson's Viennese Waltz, the fury of Kara Tointon's Tango, the fun & cheeky Jive from Matt Baker, the hot shirtless Paso from Scott Maslen with Ann being the usual.

Movie week was ok until it became Disney week
  • Options
    davegolddavegold Posts: 3,397
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Themes are good for advertising. Advertising brings in casual viewers.

Themes do not improve the dancing. Halloween week had some of the least impressive dancing this series.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Mind I would do away with props as well.

Exactly my feelings too.
  • Options
    MayDMayD Posts: 3,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I would do away with props as well

In one
  • Options
    Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No! I absolutely detest the theme weeks!
  • Options
    SeasideLadySeasideLady Posts: 20,774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Take Frankie's VW from last night, great dance in it's own right but very bland for the viewer especially when comparing it to say her Wicked Tango.

I know the traditionalists will argue against, but I think more themed weeks are required.

But a Viennese Waltz is just a series of well executed forward and reverse turns, and not much else goes on in it. Given the right music though they don't have to be bland. I certainly wouldn't want more themed weeks - Strictly needs to go back a step and be what it used to be rather than getting more and more garish and prop ridden each week.
  • Options
    Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But A Viennese Waltz is just a series of well executed forward and reverse turns, and not much else goes on in it. Given the right music though they don't have to be bland. I certainly wouldn't want more themed weeks - Strictly needs to go back a step and be what it used to be rather than getting more and more garish and prop ridden each week.

Exactly - take Alesha Dixon's Viennese Waltz, for example: absolutely stunning and not a theme or prop in sight!
  • Options
    CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How about a 'themed' week of dancing to appropriate effing music. That'll confuse the producers.
  • Options
    penelopesimpsonpenelopesimpson Posts: 14,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For me, the big problem with these nights is the music which is almost always worse than it usually is
  • Options
    RedOrDead36RedOrDead36 Posts: 1,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How about a 'themed' week of dancing to appropriate effing music. That'll confuse the producers.

LOL you may have got you wish. Around The World Week (WTF?) will play more to traditional music I think. Samba Brazil, Paso Spain etc. Hopefully there won't be a Queen or Tina Turner track in sight !!
  • Options
    *Venetia**Venetia* Posts: 1,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LOL you may have got you wish. Around The World Week (WTF?) will play more to traditional music I think. Samba Brazil, Paso Spain etc. Hopefully there won't be a Queen or Tina Turner track in sight !!

Would love this to be the case but I won't hold my breath!
  • Options
    CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You mean... it'll be like real ballroom dancing? Strictly so?
  • Options
    jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Exactly - take Alesha Dixon's Viennese Waltz, for example: absolutely stunning and not a theme or prop in sight!

Kimberley's as well (although I hate that song now).