Options

Have you ever bought anyone presents from the pound store?

Marie4evaMarie4eva Posts: 1,296
Forum Member
✭✭✭
would you mind receiving any presents that were bought from 'cheap' stores?

Comments

• Options
    tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    Marie4eva wrote: »

No i would not mind because its the thought that counts, i had presents given to me from homeless people and jobless people in the past, and the thought that these people are going though such a hard time yet still thought about other people means more than the cost its self
  • Options
    allaboardallaboard Posts: 1,940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most of the kids stocking contents are from B&M, Poundstretcher, Home Bargins and the pound shop. Kids have bought daddy some hankies from the pound shop.
  • Options
    CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I bought a pound of feathers and a pound of lead to see in whose estimation I fell faster.
    (joke 4 fizziks swots)
  • Options
    FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    I got a box of 'Luxury Chocolates' for my neighbour from the 99p Shop. She doesn't really celebrate Xmas anyway as she's a Jehovah's Witness.
  • Options
    TardisSteveTardisSteve Posts: 8,077
    Forum Member
    bought a few presents in poundland, stocking fillers blimey i imagine rufusrain will blow a gasket if he see this thread, lol
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,298
    Forum Member
    I got presents from Daiso. I guess that counts.
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Randomly from my Mrs grandma last year, I got a British flag showercap (I don't have much hair), a wind up toy and carton of orange juice all from the pound shop. She even left the receipt for me incase I wanted to change anything.
  • Options
    fondantfancyfondantfancy Posts: 3,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My friend and I try to get as much as we can for each other for a fiver - so pound stores are a great help.

More than happy to receive gifts from pound shops.

:)
  • Options
    muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When my daughter went to her respite carer on Monday I gave her £10 to buy me a present with, with a list of 'items' I wouldn't mind receiving (all of which I know the £1 shop stock)... seeing as I now have about 8 presents, a card and they are wrapped, I imagine the Pound shop was well stocked that day :D

I am happy to receive whatever she wanted to get me, wherever it was bought, I'm pleased she enjoyed getting me something and it will be a nice change having something to unwrap and to make her happy doing so, I don't care where they were bought :)

ETA: I also got my Mum her much-loved turkish delights from the Pound shop and my Dad several boxes of biscuits that he loves form there (as well as many of the stocking fillers and wrapping paper, decorations, etc)
  • Options
    Danny_SilverDanny_Silver Posts: 902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What a brilliant thread, thank you OP

I buy most of my shopping and gifts in pound shops because I know what value is.

I don't care what people think, I know what what I'm doing and what's needed in the house.

Thank god for pound shops.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I buy most of my shopping and gifts in pound shops because I know what value is.

I don't care what people think, I know what what I'm doing and what's needed in the house.

Hear hear!
  • Options
    tk096tk096 Posts: 5,829
    Forum Member

I love poundshops!! On our shopping trip I spent £43 and most of our presents are from there (plus next year's diary, new calculator, pens, some new Christmas decorations, birthday cards, flu pills etc etc) wish we had them here.
  • Options
    Dr. LinusDr. Linus Posts: 6,445
    Forum Member
    Marie4eva wrote: »

Of course not, presents are about showing some thoughtfulness, not flashing the cash.

Some of the most touching presents I've ever had were cheap. When my nanna had terminal cancer she got the nurse to take her down to the hospital shop in her final days so she could buy me something for Christmas. She got me a little jigsaw for a few quid but the fact that she did that was what counted.

And my boyfriend has given me several home-made gifts as we were very poor in our early days. He made me a hand-made personalised diary and put a photo album together as well. Both highly treasured gifts and they cost him pennies.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dr. Linus wrote: »
    Of course not, presents are about showing some thoughtfulness, not flashing the cash.

Some of the most touching presents I've ever had were cheap. When my nanna had terminal cancer she got the nurse to take her down to the hospital shop in her final days so she could buy me something for Christmas. She got me a little jigsaw for a few quid but the fact that she did that was what counted.

And my boyfriend has given me several home-made gifts as we were very poor in our early days. He made me a hand-made personalised diary and put a photo album together as well. Both highly treasured gifts and they cost him pennies.
    This made me smile :) It's what goes into what you get, not WHAT you get. I love that my daughter at least wanted to get me something, whether it be the Pound Shop or Harrods (as if!) ... and she's not been able to keep quiet about what's in those parcels since, but she loves that she was able to go out and get me something, that fills my heart with warmth :)
  • Options
    ianradioianianradioian Posts: 75,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some of the stuff there is excellent value for money, handy for stocking fillers etc
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chocolate Orange, Toblerone, After Eights etc all from Poundland this year. Much cheaper than any supermarket.
  • Options
    alimialimi Posts: 859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dr. Linus wrote: »

Aww that touched me, I hope you have a lovely Xmas, one of my worst years was when my hubby and I split up and I was left with three teens, two my own and one foster son, who is now like my own, my daughter did me a sort of memories album just on A4 paper but it cheered my heart. This year we are all back together, me and hubby are stronger than ever and I still treasure that gift, the nicest gifts are those that take some thought and lift the heart
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    i very often fill a big gift bag with poundshop stuff for my grandchildren, they love them, i`m happy to get what i`m given.

my closest friend buys most presents from charity shops and jumble sales, her gifts are invariably fabulous because she chooses so carefully.
  • Options
    geosgeos Posts: 1,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My partner before he passed away last month bought some nice photo frames from the pound shop and put some nice pictures of us in them, I opened them this morning, and although my heart is breaking, the warmth and comfort it gave me means more than any money spent.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    geos wrote: »
    My partner before he passed away last month bought some nice photo frames from the pound shop and put some nice pictures of us in them, I opened them this morning, and although my heart is breaking, the warmth and comfort it gave me means more than any money spent.
    So sorry for your loss geos, I'm glad you are getting some comfort from your pictures :) I couldn't help but cry, I hope you have a peaceful day xx

I got a few things from my lovely daughter today, courtesy of Poundland, all of which I wanted - a nice big mug, a saving tin, some bed socks and a stylus to use on my phone.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    Secret Santa at Uni was a ten pound limit a few years back so I spent £8 on a nice gift then £2 on two stupid things from the pound store.
  • Options
    geosgeos Posts: 1,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    muggins14 wrote: »
    So sorry for your loss geos, I'm glad you are getting some comfort from your pictures :) I couldn't help but cry, I hope you have a peaceful day xx

I got a few things from my lovely daughter today, courtesy of Poundland, all of which I wanted - a nice big mug, a saving tin, some bed socks and a stylus to use on my phone.

Thanks Muggins :) I am having a nice quiet relaxing day by myself with some nice food and plonk. I Hope you have a lovely day whatever you are doing
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Flashing christmas lights and a flashing pint glass. They're novelty presents but they still count.
  • Options
    BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Probably just stocking stuffers. They're brilliant for toiletries, stationery, and sweets.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,234
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've bought gifts there often on years when I didn't have much money, and that's meant the last few years when it's either been buy from the £ys or from charity shops.

I've also had gifts from there and they've been just lovely. I actually love pound shops and think you can get some great stuff there - not everything there is good but I think there's usually lots of good quality normal stuff at lower prices and some real gems.