New Freeview Channels?!

MadeInHarryMadeInHarry Posts: 825
Forum Member
✭✭
Does anyone if their are any new Channel's this year? I mean.. On Sky all theses free channels and we have 50? CBS, Zone Horror, Starz TV etc.. Why are they not apart of it? We have one Movie channel? 2 music Channel's.. I know this sounds like a bad idea.. But we pay to watch TV.. And if we are getting just 50 channel's? And SKY are getting 1000s, then maybe we should pay less?

Does anyone know if their are any new channel's coming to Freeview, waiting for the day off CBS!

Comments

• SPECKLEDUSTSPECKLEDUST Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :) Click on Digital Spy Forums, then Terrestrials.
  • Sven945Sven945 Posts: 4,217
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm still waiting for CBM.
  • chrisychrisy Posts: 9,418
    Forum Member
    And if we are getting just 50 channel's? And SKY are getting 1000s, then maybe we should pay less?

You are paying less. In fact, you're paying precisely £0. :confused:
    Does anyone know if their are any new channel's coming to Freeview, waiting for the day off CBS!

Dave ja vu is due to be replaced with something unknown from UKTV. Local TV channels are due to (start) launching this year, along with two more (unknown) pseudo-national channels.

The reason there are less channels than on Sky is two-fold.
    a) there is less bandwidth available so fewer channels can be physically launched.
    b) carriage is more expensive, due in part to point a, so less channels can afford it.
    Not all channels can afford the higher costs, and survive on advertising revenue alone.
  • jj20xjj20x Posts: 2,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisy wrote: »
    You are paying less. In fact, you're paying precisely £0. :confused:

I think he wants a refund. :p
  • Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sven945 wrote: »

Me to...;)
  • Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Movie mix, and another uktv channel. That's not bad for starters.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sven945 wrote: »

In an ideal world it would now have been broadcasting for almost 10 years. As it failed to materialise we got Ideal World instead. ;)
  • bananaman_007bananaman_007 Posts: 8,702
    Forum Member
    Did anybody win the rights for the 5th HD stream that was being sold off? I am sure somebody on here was saying that non HD services could be added if no HD services were interested.

If this is still the case we may see something on one of those slots
  • davebav50davebav50 Posts: 727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought we paid for it via the TV licence and a hidden surcharge on everything that we buy, ie the marketing and advertising budget. Actual fee we pay could be £15 month indirectly as a pure guess. We cant escape the cost, but we should get something for that cost.
  • derek500derek500 Posts: 24,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did anybody win the rights for the 5th HD stream that was being sold off? I am sure somebody on here was saying that non HD services could be added if no HD services were interested.

If this is still the case we may see something on one of those slots

Non HD channels could be added, but they would only be available to the minority with Freeview HD TVs and STBs.

So I can't see that happening.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davebav50 wrote: »
    I thought we paid for it via the TV licence and a hidden surcharge on everything that we buy, ie the marketing and advertising budget. Actual fee we pay could be £15 month indirectly as a pure guess. We cant escape the cost, but we should get something for that cost.

All of which you pay regardless of the platform you use for receiving it.
  • leddersledders Posts: 2,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it would be a step in the right direction to have some more channels on Freeview.
  • freetoview33freetoview33 Posts: 2,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jj20x wrote: »
    In an ideal world it would now have been broadcasting for almost 10 years. As it failed to materialise we got Ideal World instead. ;)
    I was so looking forward to it! Such a shame it came to nothing those were the good days!
  • Dansky+HDDansky+HD Posts: 9,806
    Forum Member
    Freeview needs Channel 5 HD & BBC HD to be retained when BBC Two HD launches.

Then it needs to find a way of getting more HD channels into its platform.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ahem! forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1771760 and http://www.bbc.co.uk/ariel/19873617

Have a little patience! Try responding to http://consultations.external.bbc.co.uk/bbc/online-redbuttonreview while you wait ~(NB better respond before the 23 January 2013 closing date)
  • johnboy726johnboy726 Posts: 519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :) This is why I hate freeview you should get Freesat (Like Me), you get the forementioned channels on freesat IE: Zone horror, etc....

freesat is much better than freeview (with no glitches)
  • johnboy726johnboy726 Posts: 519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dansky+HD wrote: »

:rolleyes: so does Freesat, but it,ll never happen
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No can do/want Freesat. Tied Accommodation and moving every few years. Freeview is fine for me and I simply hide channels I do not watch from my EPG.

If I were a Freesat user, I wouldn't be here in the Freeview subforum so often!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,605
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC needs to reintroduce 2nd red button option on both DTT and satellite.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dansky+HD wrote: »

There's only enough space for 5 HD channels on the multiplex, you can't have both. There will probably be more HD channels in 2014, in some areas.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    johnboy726 wrote: »
    freesat is much better than freeview (with no glitches)

Although a little awkward when you want to watch one of your favourite programmes on Dave, Yesterday, Really or Quest.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC needs to reintroduce 2nd red button option on both DTT and satellite.

Which BBC channel would you lose to make room for it?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 59
    Forum Member
    jj20x wrote: »
    Although a little awkward when you want to watch one of your favourite programmes on Dave, Yesterday, Really or Quest.

I would much rather have those channels than the ones that you get on Freesat but not on Freeview. With another UKTV channel launching soon it will be even better. I do wish CBS would launch on Freeview. I have Free Sky but it's a pain because I can't record.
  • soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would much rather have those channels than the ones that you get on Freesat but not on Freeview. With another UKTV channel launching soon it will be even better. I do wish CBS would launch on Freeview. I have Free Sky but it's a pain because I can't record.
    Buy a Freesat recorder! I have both Freesat & Freeview which gives me a decent set of channels overall.
  • onecitizenonecitizen Posts: 5,042
    Forum Member
    soulboy77 wrote: »
    Buy a Freesat recorder! I have both Freesat & Freeview which gives me a decent set of channels overall.

Me too. I have both as well and make full use of Freeview and Freesat. If you can have both, get both they are there to be enjoyed. It's not a competition.