David Beckham...New career?

Nicola32Nicola32 Posts: 5,153
Forum Member
I've just seen a trailer on BBC1 for a tv programme featuring DB which will be aired on the channel on June 9th.

Now he has retired from playing football could he be looking for a career in television maybe?

http://www.hellomagazine.com/film/2014053019085/david-beckham-amazon-rainforest-bbc-trailer/

Comments

• DiamondDollDiamondDoll Posts: 21,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good luck to him.....whatever he decides to do. :)
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,372
    Forum Member
    He already has a successful career. It's called being David Beckham, and he makes a fortune doing it.
  • Nicola32Nicola32 Posts: 5,153
    Forum Member
    Good luck to him.....whatever he decides to do. :)

I agree.:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nicola32 wrote: »
    I agree.:)

Lol :D

We agree. :D
    Forum Member
    Lol :D

We agree. :D

Well, there's a first time for everything DD.:D
  • Ray_SmithRay_Smith Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm surprised the BBC haven't signed up as a replacement for Alan 'misery guts' Hanson on Match of the Day.
    Forum Member
    Well...will anyone be watching this programme on June 9th?

I think I might tune in...it could be quite.. erm....'entertaining'.:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well...will anyone be watching this programme on June 9th?

I think I might tune in...it could be quite.. erm....'entertaining'.:D

I'll defo be watching.

Don't think there has been a programme about The Amazon and The Rainforest I've missed.
    It totally fascinates me. :)
  • Julia_WebbJulia_Webb Posts: 556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Be interesting to watch as DD says for the content alone.

However David Beckham comes across very well on TV these days and will be interesting to see how he 'manages' presenting.
  • GoatyGoaty Posts: 7,776
    Forum Member
    Oh why there everythings out on 9th June, my birthday! Looks like a great programme to watch but sadly on holiday in Croatia that week so will catch iPlayer later.

And I like David Beckham, and think he a wonderful father to those lovely children. :)
    Forum Member
    I'll defo be watching.

Don't think there has been a programme about The Amazon and The Rainforest I've missed.
    It totally fascinates me. :)
    Julia_Webb wrote: »

However David Beckham comes across very well on TV these days and will be interesting to see how he 'manages' presenting.

I agree, it should be interesting. I like these type of programmes, although, the last time I watched a programme about the Amazon they showed a Capybara swimming in the river and pyranha's had it for dinner. :cry::cry::(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree, it should be interesting. I like these type of programmes, although, the last time I watched a programme about the Amazon they showed a Capybara swimming in the river and pyranha's had it for dinner. :cry::cry::(

I know it's what happens but I have to look away at those sort of things, wuss that I am :blush:
  • CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    thought it said "New carer". Not the brightest, but didn't know he was that dim.
    Forum Member
    I know it's what happens but I have to look away at those sort of things, wuss that I am :blush:

Me too Julia. I really like nature and wildlife programmes but the savagery often shown in them puts me off watching them. I know the killing of animals by other animals is all part of nature but I just can't watch the kill.:(

My son and OH always laugh at me because I sit there clutching the remote ready to switch over when I know the nasty bits are coming.:D
  • Scarlett BerryScarlett Berry Posts: 21,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

But why, after a very successful and not to mention lucrative career in flaunting his body in ads should he now be "afforded" opportunities in the presenting areana that those more qualified are denied because of him. I know his celebrity is a calling card, but for goodness sake, he needs to leave a space for those who are starting out. Just my umble opinion, of course.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    David Beckham seems like a genuinely nice guy so I wish him no ill, but I don't half bore of him being treated like a God-like figure. Not that he needs me to, but I won't be tuning in to his new show.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But why, after a very successful and not to mention lucrative career in flaunting his body in ads should he now be "afforded" opportunities in the presenting areana that those more qualified are denied because of him. I know his celebrity is a calling card, but for goodness sake, he needs to leave a space for those who are starting out. Just my umble opinion, of course.

Maybe because the powers that be know that having DB fronting the programme will bring in more viewers than it would normally do? Perhaps not necessary for this as Natural History gets good viewing figures though?

Haven't looked at the link but isn't it wrapped up in the world cup coverage too?

I agree that some celebs get what seem to be 'unfair' opportunities but it was ever thus.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Tell me which one of these two would attract the bigger audience please.

1....David Beckham

2....Paddy McGinty from down the road who is just starting out.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Grey Lady wrote: »
    David Beckham seems like a genuinely nice guy so I wish him no ill, but I don't half bore of him being treated like a God-like figure. Not that he needs me to, but I won't be tuning in to his new show.

You should.

Forget DB. The rainforest, its wildlife, its inhabitants and its flora and fauna are (to me at least) endlessly fascinating.

The world needs to know just how fragile its future is..........and if DB attracts a wider audience to be alerted to an impending disaster..........good.

*steps off soapbox* :blush:
  • The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Beckham would be a great footie pundit - most of them are dull, banal and a conduit for curing insomnia, but he just doesn't have the charisma to be a TV personality per se IMHO. Yes, he's one of the most famous people on the planet and will attract audiences - but I don't think he'd be any good.
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have seen too many documentaries in which presenters presented themselves and not the subject. What will be Beckham's unique contribution to the topic of tropical forests, his vision.
  • Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Grey Lady wrote: »

Totally agree with BIB. He's a nice enough bloke and a decent footballer but I just don't understand the hype over him at all.

I might be in a very small minority, but I much prefer his wife to him.
  • Scarlett BerryScarlett Berry Posts: 21,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

1....David Beckham

I have acknowledged it that his name is a crowd puller..still doesn't make it right in my opinion. Plenty of young men and women are ably qualified in Sports journalism and deserve an opportunity to use their experience and skills it to make a living.
  • aggsaggs Posts: 29,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

1....David Beckham

If Paddy McGinty brought along his goat though ...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    aggs wrote: »
    If Paddy McGinty brought along his goat though ...

Lol xx

I was going to put 'whose goat has just died' but thought most readers wouldn't 'get it'.
    Obviously not. :D ;-)