Options

London BBQ

LardnessLardness Posts: 709
Forum Member
✭✭
Visiting the UK at Christmas.....and will be in the London area for several days.

Can anyone recommend a good London BBQ place?

Tripadvisor reviews are all over the place & had a friend eat at Bodeans & was very disappointed.

Not particularly interested in pulled pork....it's me brisket I'm after!

Comments

• Options
    queenshaksqueenshaks Posts: 10,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here's a link, I don't know if it's any good to you.

Enjoy London :)<
    click on this
  • Options
    malpascmalpasc Posts: 9,641
    Forum Member
    See, I quite like Bodeans, but prefer sitting in the "proper" restaurant downstairs, not the upstairs bit where you get served your food on a plastic tray.

The burnt ends are delicious!
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,944
    Forum Member
    I love Bodeans as well. Unfortunately in this country it is still easier to get terrible BBQ than decent BBQ.
  • Options
    Paul1511Paul1511 Posts: 11,581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Never seen the fascination with the burnt ends at Bodeans, might just me me though.

Miss. P's Barbecue is good, they are a mobile street vendor that are often found at KERB food and other such places.
  • Options
    JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member
    Another vote for Bodeans. I really miss it since moving out of London.
  • Options
    mizhogmizhog Posts: 970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it has to be Pitt cue co
  • Options
    Forum Member
    mizhog wrote: »
    it has to be Pitt cue co

Is that the one where you have to queue for hours to get in?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

With no menu on the website & very $$$......
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Lardness wrote: »

Yeah that's the one. I'm done with restaurants that won't let me book, it's like they're doing us a favour letting us eat there.
  • Options
    Raquelos.Raquelos. Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    mizhog wrote: »
    it has to be Pitt cue co

Just had lunch there this week, it is pretty good, but tiny, I wouldn't take a large group, or even a small group now I think about it.

That can happen, especially in the evening, rolling up at 1230 (when it opens) for lunch seems to work out okay though.

I think the menu changes tbh and anyway its not very extensive but with different specials every day, tbf it is really good slow cooked meat with about half a dozen sides to choose from (which are also very good). It isn't really that expensive (for central London) you could certainly eat much less well for much more money.

Edit <here is a menu> for them, but as I said it changes fairly regularly, it gives you a good idea of what to expect in terms of what might be on offer and the prices
    Yeah that's the one. I'm done with restaurants that won't let me book, it's like they're doing us a favour letting us eat there.

I completely agree, they are just trying to create a buzz with people who like to be seen to be eating at exclusive and difficult to get into places. screw that, life's too short for that shit imo

I would say that Pitt Cue does do really very good slow cook bbq food, but it's not so good that I would risk going there in the evening only to not get a table. Also it is a whiskey bar that really only does sell whiskey (albeit lots of types). They actually don't have gin or vodka or any other spirit for those of us that don't like whiskey!! I was quite taken aback tbh, especially when the barman (owner as well I think) said that it was a whisky bar and so why would they carry anything else? Well to broaden your potential client base I would think sweetheart!!!:confused:

Basically the food is as good as they say it is but nothing else about it is quite as cool as they seem to imagine.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Raquelos. wrote: »
    Just had lunch there this week, it is pretty good, but tiny, I wouldn't take a large group, or even a small group now I think about it.

That can happen, especially in the evening, rolling up at 1230 (when it opens) for lunch seems to work out okay though.

I think the menu changes tbh and anyway its not very extensive but with different specials every day, tbf it is really good slow cooked meat with about half a dozen sides to choose from (which are also very good). It isn't really that expensive (for central London) you could certainly eat much less well for much more money.

Edit <here is a menu> for them, but as I said it changes fairly regularly, it gives you a good idea of what to expect in terms of what might be on offer and the prices

I completely agree, they are just trying to create a buzz with people who like to be seen to be eating at exclusive and difficult to get into places. screw that, life's too short for that shit imo

I would say that Pitt Cue does do really very good slow cook bbq food, but it's not so good that I would risk going there in the evening only to not get a table. Also it is a whiskey bar that really only does sell whiskey (albeit lots of types). They actually don't have gin or vodka or any other spirit for those of us that don't like whiskey!! I was quite taken aback tbh, especially when the barman (owner as well I think) said that it was a whisky bar and so why would they carry anything else? Well to broaden your potential client base I would think sweetheart!!!:confused:

Basically the food is as good as they say it is but nothing else about it is quite as cool as they seem to imagine.

That particular menu doesn't impress me.
  • Options
    niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I tried the Bodeans near Oxford Street. A long wait for a table and not that great when the food arrived. Best thing about it was the beer menu. Not impressed.

I would love to try Pit Cue, but I'm not going to wait for hours to eat. I had tried to go to Pit Cue the day I went to Bodeans.

Nothing I've tried beats the BBQ food I've had in the USA, although my home cooked ribs come close.
  • Options
    Master OzzyMaster Ozzy Posts: 18,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Definitely the Big Easy in Covent Garden without a doubt. Incredible.
  • Options
    Raquelos.Raquelos. Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    That particular menu doesn't impress me.

You should probably try elsewhere then because the food is really the only reason to go there.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I cook reasonable ribs & (I think) damn good smoked brisket.

I just want to be able compare it to commercial offerings, as the only smoked brisket I've had is my own.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OK.....expanding my search a bit & will be in the Manchester area for a day or so.
    Has anyone been to Reds?
    Older reviews on TA are bad but more recent ones are better.....
  • Options
    AftershowAftershow Posts: 10,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pitt Cue - I do agree with the issues about getting a table, but the place is tiny so there's not a great deal they can do about it. Food is good though.

Reds in Manchester is alright, but nothing special.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aftershow wrote: »
    Pitt Cue - I do agree with the issues about getting a table, but the place is tiny so there's not a great deal they can do about it. Food is good though.

Reds in Manchester is alright, but nothing special.

Red's menu appeals more, though
  • Options
    AftershowAftershow Posts: 10,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Red's menu appeals more, though

They certainly have a more expansive menu, but it's always felt to me like they are just trying to do too much (along with gimmicks like the 'donut burger'), rather than focusing on doing a few things really well.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 241
    Forum Member
    OK.....expanding my search a bit & will be in the Manchester area for a day or so.
    Has anyone been to Reds?

Definitely Southern 11 in Manchester :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Has anyone been to Reds?

Jay Rayner's review of Reds was enough to put me off it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jay Rayner's review of Reds was enough to put me off it.

Just read the review: http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2013/may/12/reds-true-barbecue-leeds-restaurant-review

Replies to it are a mixed bag (or bucket).

Still favouring the one in M'chester.

Or maybe Grillstock in Bristol.

Maybe I should draw a map of my itinerary & let the audience on here decide where I should eat.....