Options

Radio Football Commentators and Reporters 2016/17

Comments

• Options
    iceolaiceola Posts: 1,315
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can some explain why Ian Cleverley is not posting at the present time?
  • Options
    The DifferenceThe Difference Posts: 21,085
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thursday 29th September - talkSPORT 2

Alex Crook presenting Europa League Live

UEFA Europa League Group Stage
    Hapoel Beer Sheva v Southampton - Alex Crook and Adrian Clarke (6pm commentary)

Mark Wilson presenting Super League Live from the Halliwell Jones Stadium

Rugby League: Super League Semi-Final
    Warrington Wolves v St Helens - Mark Wilson and Andrew Henderson (8pm commentary)

talkSPORT 2 are covering both Super League Semi-Finals tonight and tomorrow. On Saturday, Alex Crook and Stuart Pearce will commentate on West Ham United v Middlesbrough for talkSPORT 2.

talkSPORT

Drive Time with Adrian Durham and Ray Parlour, followed by Mark Saggers presenting a Kick Off: Ryder Cup Special alongside Jim White from The Daily Telegraph with Bob Bubka and Rupert Bell in Hazeltine, Minnesota

Hapoel Beer Sheva v Southampton - Naz Premji
    Manchester United v Zorya Luhansk - Dom McGuinness

BBC Radio Solent

Kevan James presenting BBC Radio Solent Sport from the Turner Stadium

Hapoel Beer Sheva v Southampton - Adam Blackmore and Dave Merrington (6pm commentary, also on Saints Player)
  • Options
    Steve WilliamsSteve Williams Posts: 11,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On that, what does every make of talkSPORT's decision to shift all of Tuesday's live football coverage to 2 in order to focus on the Sam Allardyce story on their primary station? It wouldn't have been my call, but then I'm not overly interested in England. I remember objecting to Radio 5 Live doing the very same thing on here the night Fabio Capello departed in 2012, although it's fair to say my view was a very unpopular opinion on here at the time! Did 5 Live do the same as talkSPORT or did they keep Leicester v Porto on their main station?

Funnily enough I was going to ask what your opinion was on this, because I was genuinely interested to know what you made of it, remembering your comments from the time Capello went. I'm afraid I didn't listen to 5 Live on Tuesday so I didn't know what they did.

To my mind, talkSPORT were probably right to do what they did, as I thought 5 Live were right in 2012. The England manager resigning with immediate effect is undoubtedly the biggest football story of any year, I would say, so it demands extensive coverage - especially on 5 Live because it's a major news story as well. And this one broke even later in the evening than when Capello left, that happened about an hour or so before kick-off, this was officially confirmed virtually on the kick-off.

I watched Sky Sports News on Tuesday and actually I think they probably went too far in the other direction, in that they broke the news and occasionally went over to reports, but the concentration was very much on that day's football. But I think as long as they kept the teleprinter on the screen, and took fairly regular reports for goals and incidents, it would have been OK to concentrate quite heavily on the Allardyce story because that was the big news. I think if you were really interested in the Champions League you'd have been watching that. I'm not entirely convinced that we needed more reports on Ipswich 0 Brighton 0 than we on the England manager resigning, if you see what I mean. It's all about news values, isn't it?
  • Options
    bwfcolbwfcol Posts: 13,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Based off Digiguide, on Sat 15th Oct, 5Live have scheduled commentary on Palace vs West Ham and the next day, Boro vs Watford at 1:30

They are the only games in those time slots from the PL

Is this a mistake or an explanation on this?
  • Options
    4-4-24-4-2 Posts: 5,413
    Forum Member
    bwfcol wrote: »
    Based off Digiguide, on Sat 15th Oct, 5Live have scheduled commentary on Palace vs West Ham and the next day, Boro vs Watford at 1:30

They are the only games in those time slots from the PL

Is this a mistake or an explanation on this?

I don't think it's a mistake as talkSPORT have Chelsea v Leicester at 12.30pm on Saturday 15th - rather than the 5.30pm game.

I think it's because some of these were originally scheduled to be different slots. I know Chelsea v Leicester was down to be Sunday 1.30pm but brought forward as Leicester play in the Champions League on the following Tuesday. It seems the original time slots stand when it comes which broadcaster gets which game.
  • Options
    bwfcolbwfcol Posts: 13,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks 4-4-2, that makes sense!

Will be confusing for listeners!
  • Options
    luketwillluketwill Posts: 1,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC National Radio Commentaries

Friday 30th September 2016
    Everton v Crystal Palace (8pm) - John Acres & Kevin Kilbane (BBC Radio 5 Live Sports Extra)

Saturday 1st October 2016
    Swansea City v Liverpool (12:30pm) - Ian Brown & Pat Nevin (BBC Radio 5 Live)
    Hull City v Chelsea (3pm) - Ian Dennis & Steve McClaren (BBC Radio 5 Live Sports Extra)

Sunday 2nd October 2016
    Burnley v Arsenal (4:30pm) - Ian Brown & Trevor Sinclair (BBC Radio 5 Live Sports Extra)

Of course, the Ryder Cup is fully covered on BBC Radio 5 Live this weekend.
  • Options
    Paul_CrawfordPaul_Crawford Posts: 5,860
    Forum Member
    30/09/2016
    5live Sports Extra
    Everton vs Crystal Palace
    John Acres & Kevin Kilbane

1st/10/2016
    5live
    Swansea vs Liverpool
    Ian Brown & Pat Nevin

1st/10/2016
    5live Sports Extra
    Hull vs Chelsea
    Ian Dennis & Steve McClaren

2nd/10/2016
    5live Sports Extra
    Burnley vs Arsenal
    Ian Brown & Trevor Sinclair

The Ryder Cup taking precedence on 5live over the weekend.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Funnily enough I was going to ask what your opinion was on this, because I was genuinely interested to know what you made of it, remembering your comments from the time Capello went. I'm afraid I didn't listen to 5 Live on Tuesday so I didn't know what they did.

To my mind, talkSPORT were probably right to do what they did, as I thought 5 Live were right in 2012. The England manager resigning with immediate effect is undoubtedly the biggest football story of any year, I would say, so it demands extensive coverage - especially on 5 Live because it's a major news story as well. And this one broke even later in the evening than when Capello left, that happened about an hour or so before kick-off, this was officially confirmed virtually on the kick-off.

I watched Sky Sports News on Tuesday and actually I think they probably went too far in the other direction, in that they broke the news and occasionally went over to reports, but the concentration was very much on that day's football. But I think as long as they kept the teleprinter on the screen, and took fairly regular reports for goals and incidents, it would have been OK to concentrate quite heavily on the Allardyce story because that was the big news. I think if you were really interested in the Champions League you'd have been watching that. I'm not entirely convinced that we needed more reports on Ipswich 0 Brighton 0 than we on the England manager resigning, if you see what I mean. It's all about news values, isn't it?

Well, if I had been listening on Tuesday night and only had the choice of Allardyce discussion on talkSPORT or commentary and updates on the night's football on talkSPORT 2, I would absolutely have gone with the latter. But that's just me, I'm typically not that interested in hearing sports programmes that dwell on one particular story - however big - for a large chunk of time when you have live events going on. That said, I appreciate the resignation of an England manager is massive news and can see why talkSPORT felt it was appropriate to shift a Champions League commentary onto their secondary station in order to accommodate discussion and rolling reaction to it.

Looking back to Radio 5 Live's coverage of Fabio Capello's resignation, if I recall rightly my issue at the time was that, in shifting planned coverage of a midweek English game (I think it was at Middlesbrough if memory serves me) onto 5 Live Sports Extra, it meant they were dumping 5LSE's planned commentary on a Scottish Premiership game altogether. As you say, 5 Live had an hour or so more to digest the Capello news - the Allardyce news I think was confirmed around 7.15pm, talkSPORT had taken team news from the Champions League games in the first segment of Kick Off before shifting focus - so by that point they would have been in a better position to resume live football coverage, enabling them to broadcast both matches (although I understand why they didn't). This case was a bit kinder to talkSPORT, as they were originally planning to do Champions League commentary with Championship Around the Grounds on talkSPORT 2, and by moving the Spurs commentary to 2 it meant that their Championship updates were squeezed into the background of a commentary rather than being the main focus of the programme, but they weren't being abandoned entirely. Doing this, while not ideal, is a reasonable compromise situation.

The one criticism I'd make of talkSPORT's coverage is that they pretty much completely abandoned updates from the night's football on the main station. I think they should have at the very least taken half-time and full-time reports from the two Champions League games (which under normal circumstances on a Champions League Tuesday with talkSPORT 2 covering the EFL are the only games they'd have carried coverage from after 7.30pm). I know taking in-game updates on Tottenham would have been tricky at short notice given that it was a commentary and you'd have to have the commentators on talkSPORT 2 break away from that, but to limit the coverage to just a full-time chat with Jim Proudfoot and Danny Murphy after the Spurs game, with nothing bar the team news coming from Geoff Peters at Leicester City, was a bit poor in my opinion. Unlike Sky Sports News, I thought talkSPORT swung a bit too far the other way over the course of the three hours, but I understand why they made the call they did and wouldn't criticise them for that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Friday 30th September - talkSPORT

Matt Holland presenting Kick Off: The Player's Lounge alongside Danny Gabbidon

Premier League
    Everton v Crystal Palace - Graham Beecroft

Rugby Union: Premiership
    Northampton Saints v Exeter Chiefs - Nick Heath

Wigan Warriors v Hull FC - Richard Shaw-Wright

Golf: The Ryder Cup 2016
    Hazeltine National Golf Club, Chaska, Minnesota - Rupert Bell and Bob Bubka

talkSPORT Live

Premier League
    Everton v Crystal Palace - Adam Bridge and Matt Lawrence

Bundesliga
    Red Bull Leipzig v FC Augsburg - Kevin Hatchard

talkSPORT 2

Mark Wilson presenting Super League Live from the DW Stadium

Wigan Warriors v Hull FC - Mark Wilson and Garry Schofield (8pm commentary)

Couple of details from the talkSPORT stations on things I've touched upon over the past few days. Firstly, it's been confirmed that Jim White's show will be carrying the FA Cup Fourth Qualifying Round draw on Monday. Dean Ashton and AFC Bournemouth chairman Jeff Mostyn will be his guests and will presumably draw the teams.

Tomorrow, it'll be Alex Crook and Matthew Etherington commentating on West Ham United v Middlesbrough for talkSPORT 2, the latter as opposed to Stuart Pearce who is at the London Stadium for talkSPORT's Matchday Live. I mentioned last weekend that Ray Parlour hasn't been on Matchday Live this season, well on Drive Time last night Ray said that he'll be making his season debut at Vicarage Road for Watford v Bournemouth. Adrian Durham will host from the KC Stadium for Hull City v Chelsea.
  • Options
    Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC Radio Scotland Sportsound, 30/9/16

Presented by Geoff Webster from Fir Park.

Scottish Premiership
    Motherwell v Hearts (7.45pm) - Rob Maclean, Steven Thompson and Allan Preston (commentary) with Chick Young pitchside
  • Options
    4-4-24-4-2 Posts: 5,413
    Forum Member
    bwfcol wrote: »
    Thanks 4-4-2, that makes sense!

Will be confusing for listeners!

Phil Wye was asked about it on Twitter recently:

@shaun_1982 It's complicated! In a nutshell, some games which are rearranged to different slots get allocated to the @5liveSport quota. It's a case of which one we're allocated. Restrictions apply. Like I say,not straightforward or easy to second guess.
  • Options
    GrahamjoanneGrahamjoanne Posts: 940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC Radio Manchester presented by Jimmy Wagg from Bury

Brentford v Wigan Athletic - Ian Cheeseman and Fred Eyre - FM commentary
    Bolton Wanderers v Oxford United - Marc Iles - reports
    Bury v Scunthorpe United - Simon Stone - reports
    Charlton Athletic v Rochdale - Aaron Paul and Rich Dean - DAB commentary
    Oldham Athletic v MK Dons - John Gilder - reports
  • Options
    swfcforeverswfcforever Posts: 442
    Forum Member
    BBC Radio Sheffield-01/10/2016

FM/Freeview 734-Leeds United v Barnsley. Jonathan Buchan and Derek Parker. Jonathan did Build up to Kick-off between 14:00 and 15:00. Around 14:10, Mike Morgan from The Sun was interviewed on this week's events.

MW/DAB-Fleetwood v Sheffield United. Adam Oxley. I think he's solo, as they seem to be doing that on MW commentaries this the start of the season.

Reporting:-
    Rotherham v Newcastle-Rob Staton
    Chesterfield v Bradford-Matt Shaw
    Portsmouth v Doncaster-Jordan Clarke?
    Sheffield Wednesday v Brighton-Andy Giddings. I think he is also going to host Praise and Grumble after the matches until 18:30.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saturday 1st October - talkSPORT

Adrian Durham presenting Matchday Live from the KC Stadium with Ray Parlour at Vicarage Road and Stuart Pearce at the London Stadium, followed by The Full Time Phone-In hosted by Danny Kelly with Stuart Pearce at the London Stadium

Premier League
    Swansea City v Liverpool - Laurence Mora
    Hull City v Chelsea - Simon Humphreys and Adrian Durham
    Sunderland v West Bromwich Albion - Graham Courtney
    Watford v AFC Bournemouth - Ian Abrahams and Ray Parlour
    West Ham United v Middlesbrough - Ian Danter and Stuart Pearce, with Alex Crook pre-match

Championship
    Fulham v Queens Park Rangers - Tony Incenzo
    Birmingham City v Blackburn Rovers - Jack Woodward
    Bristol City v Nottingham Forest - Geoff Peters
    Burton Albion v Cardiff City - Dave Rowe
    Ipswich Town v Huddersfield Town - Kev Lawrence
    Reading v Derby County - Jake Robson
    Sheffield Wednesday v Brighton & Hove Albion - Graham Beecroft
    Wolverhampton Wanderers v Norwich City - Tom Ross

Rugby Union: Premiership
    Gloucester v Bath - Simon Ward

Golf: The Ryder Cup 2016
    Hazeltine National Golf Club, Chaska, Minnesota - Rupert Bell and Bob Bubka

talkSPORT 2

Ian Danter presenting Matchday Live 2 from the London Stadium alongside Matthew Etherington

Premier League
    West Ham United v Middlesbrough - Alex Crook and Matthew Etherington (3pm commentary), with James Dodd producing

With a Full Time Phone-In on talkSPORT from 5pm, there's no phone-in on talkSPORT 2 this afternoon - instead Dants will be hosting talkSPORT Today between 5-6pm.

talkSPORT Live

Premier League
    Swansea City v Liverpool - Tim Long and Bobby Gould
    Hull City v Chelsea - Dan Wheeler and Paul Mortimer (featured 3pm commentary on international stations)
    Sunderland v West Bromwich Albion - Russell Hargreaves
    Watford v AFC Bournemouth - Jon Howick
    West Ham United v Middlesbrough - Dan Windle

Bundesliga
    Bayern Munchen v FC Koln - James Fielden
    Bayer 04 Leverkusen v Borussia Dortmund - TBA

Today FM

Philip Egan presenting Premier League Live, joined by Mark Lawrenson between 2-3pm

Premier League
    Swansea City v Liverpool - Alan Tolley
    Hull City v Chelsea - Ian Beach and Brian Kerr (3pm commentary)
    Sunderland v West Bromwich Albion - Roger Tames
    Watford v AFC Bournemouth - Graham Miller
    West Ham United v Middlesbrough - Peter Hood

Gaelic Football: GAA All-Ireland Senior Championship Final Replay
    Dublin v Mayo - Paul Collins

Newstalk 106-108FM

Ger Gilroy presenting Off The Ball alongside Richie McCormack and Emmet Malone from the Irish Times

Premier League (as IRN)
    Swansea City v Liverpool - Sam Fleet
    Hull City v Chelsea - Al Ross
    Sunderland v West Bromwich Albion - Stephen Goldsmith
    Watford v AFC Bournemouth - Andrew Cheal
    West Ham United v Middlesbrough - Nigel Bidmead

Gaelic Football: GAA All-Ireland Senior Championship Final Replay
    Dublin v Mayo - Dave McIntyre and Ger Gilroy

At 3pm, Ger Gilroy headed off to Croke Park to host the later section of Off The Ball from the site of the Gaelic Football All-Ireland Senior Championship Final Replay.

BBC WM 95.6

Paul Franks presenting BBC WM 95.6 Sport from Molineux

Premier League
    Sunderland v West Bromwich Albion - Rob Gurney and Tony Brown (3pm commentary on DAB in the Black Country and Freeview channel 722)

Championship
    Birmingham City v Blackburn Rovers - Richard Wilford (3pm commentary on DAB in Birmingham)
    Preston North End v Aston Villa - Mark Regan and Garry Thompson (3pm commentary on 95.6FM)
    Wolverhampton Wanderers v Norwich City - Mike Taylor and ? (5.30pm commentary)

League One
    Walsall v Millwall - Tom Marlow

Good to see Tony "Bomber" Brown reunited with Tom Ross on The Goalzone on Big Centre TV last night.
  • Options
    LanarkianLanarkian Posts: 7,567
    Forum Member
    BBC Radio Cornwall
    Host Ross Ellis
    R/U: Camborne v Launceston Peter Richmond and David May (commentary) with Bill Hooper
    R/U: London Scottish v Cornish Pirates John Martin
    R/U: Exmouth v Redruth Roger Watson (by phone)

BBC Radio Devon
    Host James Vickery
    Plymouth v Yeovil Charlie Price etc (commentary on 95.7FM, 103.4FM and DAB)
    Wycombe v Exeter Ross Heaton (commentary on other FM, 882AM, 99AM)
    Gateshead v Torquay Anthony Wareing

BBC Three Counties Radio
    Host Geoff Doyle at Watford
    Watford v Bournemouth Jon Marks (commentary on 98.0FM and 103.8FM)
    Oldham v MK Dons Luke Ashmead (104.5FM commentary)
    Newport v Stevenage Paul Dixon (95.5FM commentary - then switched to Luton's game) - postponed
    Cheltenham v Luton Simon Oxley (AM commentary)
    Wycombe v Exeter Phil Catchpole
    Boreham Wood v Wrexham Mark Messiano ?

BBC Essex
    Southend v Peterborough Stuart Smith and Adrian Clarke (commentary|)
    Carlisle v Colchester Glenn Speller and David Gregory (commentary)

BBC Radio London
    Fulham v QPR Jamie Hill and Steve Brown (lunchtime DAB commentary)
    Everton v Palace Phil Parry and Steve Brown (Friday night FM commentary)
    Hull v Chelsea Mark Taylor
    Watford v Bournemouth Emma Saunders
    West Ham v Middlesbrough Murray Burnell and Bradley Allen (commentary)
    Brentford v Wigan Phil Parry
    AFC Wimbledon v Gillingham Alan Seabrook
    Charlton v Rochdale Louis Mendez
    Walsall v Millwall Deano Standing
    Barnet v Leyton Orient Dave Victor

BBC Radio Kent Sports Hub
    AFC Wimbledon v Gillingham Ben Watts and Peter Lloyd (commentary on 774AM and DAB)
    Ebbsfleet v Havant and Waterlooville Matt Cole and Tony Hudd (commentary on 96.7FM and 104.2FM)
    Chester v Dover Phil Kinsella

BBC Radio Nottingham
    Bristol City v Nottm Forest Colin Fray and Brian Laws (commentary on 103.8FM and 1584AM)
    Notts County v Morecambe Colin Slater and Mark Stallard (commentary on 95.5FM and DAB)
    Crewe v Mansfield Charlie Slater

BBC Radio Lancashire
    Birmingham v Blackburn Andy Bayes and Mark Atkins (commentary on 95.5FM, 855AM, 1557AM and DAB)
    Preston v Aston Villa Scott Read
    Fleetwood v Sheffield United Gary Hunt
    Cambridge United v Accrington Stanley Dan Jewell
    Notts County v Morecambe Derek Quinn
    Crawley v Blackpool Ian Chisnall (commentary on 103.9FM, 104.5FM and Freeview)

BBC Radio Merseyside
    Swansea v Liverpool Ian Kennedy and Jimmy Carter (lunchtime commentary)

BBC Radio Tees
    West Ham United v Middlesbrough Paul Addison (host), Mark Drury, Neil Maddison and Rob Law (commentary on 95.0FM and Freeview)
    Grimsby v Hartlepool Ivan Ash and Nick Loughlin (commentary on DAB)

Co-commentators listed when I could establish them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Radio Clyde Superscoreboard
    Host Gerry McCullough, Hugh Keevins and Fraser Wishart
    Dundee v Celtic Alison Conroy
    Hamilton v ICT Mark Guidi
    Kilmarnock v Aberdeen Roger Hannah
    Rangers v Partick Thistle Gordon Duncan and Gordon Dalziel

Live Sports FM
    FA Cup Qualifying Round 3: Farsley Celtic v Bishop Auckland Chris Bell and Jonathan Pinfield (commentary)

Jordan Clark (or Clarke), who reported for BBC Radio Sheffield on Doncaster's match at Portsmouth, is a local football reporter for BBC Radio Solent.
  • Options
    wns_195wns_195 Posts: 13,568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Today, Radio Humberside did not provide commentary on Grimsby Town due to the rugby league. Hull City took their place on DAB, while Hull Kingston Rovers occupied FM.

Viking 2 continues to claim to be providing exclusive Hull City commentary.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    BBC Radio Solent
    Host Carl Rilley (I think)
    Watford v AFC Bournemouth Adam Blackmore and John Williams (commentary on 96.1FM, 103.8FM, Dorset DAB and Freeview)
    Portsmouth v Doncaster Andrew Moon and Guy Whittingham (commentary on 999AM, Hampshire DAB and Freeview) with Jordan Clark conducting the interviews
    Woking v Eastleigh Ian Whiting and Ryan Cresswell (online commentary)

Adam Blackmore, Chris Wise and Dave Merrington are scheduled to commentate tomorrow on Leicester v Southampton on 96.1FM and 103.8FM.

BBC Radio Wiltshire
    Shrewsbury v Swindon Andrew Hawes and Dave Hockaday (commentary)

BBC Radio Shropshire
    Shrewsbury v Swindon Stuart Dunn, Mark Elliott (commentary) with Adam Green
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC Radio Scotland Sportsound, 1/10/16

Presented by Richard Gordon from Rugby Park, with Tom English at Dens Park.

Scottish Premiership
    Dundee v Celtic (12.15pm) - Liam McLeod and Willie Miller (810MW commentary) with Chris McLaughlin pitchside
    Kilmarnock v Aberdeen - John Barnes and Craig Paterson (810MW commentary) with Jonathan Sutherland pitchside

Open All Mics (103.5-105FM)

Scottish Premiership
    Hamilton Accies v Inverness CT - Rob Maclean (Alasdair Lamont conducting post-match interviews)
    Kilmarnock v Aberdeen - Allan Preston (Jonathan Sutherland)
    Ross County v St Johnstone - Barry Wilson (Scott Davie)

Scottish Championship
    Ayr Utd v Dunfermline Athletic - Tam McManus
    Dumbarton v Queen of the South - Derek Ferguson
    Morton v Raith Rovers - Chick Young
    St Mirren v Falkirk (5.15pm) - Charlie Mann
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saturday 1st October - talkSPORT 2

Russell Hargreaves presented La Liga Live

La Liga
    Deportivo La Coruna v Sporting Gijon - Tom Rennie and Matt Lawrence (7.45pm commentary)

Filling in the gaps from yesterday...
    talkSPORT Live

Bundesliga
    Bayern Munchen v FC Koln - James Fielden
    Bayer 04 Leverkusen v Borussia Dortmund - TBA

Tim Long commentated on Bayer Leverkusen v Borussia Dortmund for talkSPORT Live and Bundesliga.com.
    BBC WM 95.6

Paul Franks presenting BBC WM 95.6 Sport from Molineux

Championship
    Wolverhampton Wanderers v Norwich City - Mike Taylor and ? (5.30pm commentary)

Paul Franks did the co-commentary with Mike Taylor at Wolves v Norwich for BBC WM - they didn't have an ex-pro summariser with them as they usually do for 95.6FM live games nowadays.
    IanFergus wrote: »
    BBC Radio Solent
    Host Carl Rilley (I think)

That'll be Carl Ralley, formerly a live football producer for talkSPORT and Absolute Radio. These days he does a lot of producing for BBC Radio Solent and also Radio 5 Live Sports Extra's Women's Super League coverage, and has presented music shows for various local commercial stations on the South Coast. He comes across very well on Twitter, so I'm glad to hear he got the chance to host Solent Sport now that Rock 'N' Roll Football Live is no more.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC Radio Scotland Sportsound, 2/10/16

Presented by Richard Gordon from Easter Road.

Hibernian v Dundee Utd (noon) - Liam McLeod, Tam McManus and John Rankin (commentary) with Brian McLaughin pitchside
  • Options
    GrahamjoanneGrahamjoanne Posts: 940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC Radio Manchester - Sunday 2nd October

Manchester United v Stoke City - Bill Rice - reports
    Tottenham Hotspur v Manchester City - Ian Cheeseman and Fred Eyre - commentary
  • Options
    Steve WilliamsSteve Williams Posts: 11,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    luketwill wrote: »
    Saturday 1st October 2016
    Swansea City v Liverpool (12:30pm) - Ian Brown & Pat Nevin (BBC Radio 5 Live)
    Hull City v Chelsea (3pm) - Ian Dennis & Steve McClaren (BBC Radio 5 Live Sports Extra)

Of course, the Ryder Cup is fully covered on BBC Radio 5 Live this weekend.

Ian Dennis was keen to point out, doing so several times, that it was "uninterrupted coverage" of Hull vs Chelsea and that there wouldn't be reports from other grounds, but they would be doing score updates. Obviously there were reports from all the grounds on Five Live during the golf. This is a bit different to what they did a couple of times last season, most notably during the Rugby World Cup, when they billed "your regular Saturday afternoon football service" on Sports Extra with commentary and reports. Presumably there were logistical and cost reasons why they didn't do that yesterday.
    Well, if I had been listening on Tuesday night and only had the choice of Allardyce discussion on talkSPORT or commentary and updates on the night's football on talkSPORT 2, I would absolutely have gone with the latter. But that's just me, I'm typically not that interested in hearing sports programmes that dwell on one particular story - however big - for a large chunk of time when you have live events going on. That said, I appreciate the resignation of an England manager is massive news and can see why talkSPORT felt it was appropriate to shift a Champions League commentary onto their secondary station in order to accommodate discussion and rolling reaction to it.

Yes, to me it seems the same as any other major news story when football commentary has to take a back seat to breaking news. I think on radio you have the added complication of the fact that people are constantly dipping in and out, quite a lot are listening while they're driving for example, so you do have to repeat things quite frequently. I always remember the day Gary Speed died, I was on a train and I learnt it from Five Live, about ninety minutes after the news had actually broken.

As long as there's new things to report, I don't see the problem with relegating a commentary to reports. I mean, there are plenty of other commentaries a season and the England manager doesn't resign every week (I know it feels like it). Be different too if it was a very significant match, not just some bog-standard league fixtures or a Champions League group stage encounter.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I have to say I didn't hear reports from the other grounds during either BBC Radio Five Live (and Sports Extra) or BBC World Service yesterday.

Today's IRN reporters included Shane Pinnington (Leicester v Southampton) and Guy Swindells (Tottenham v Manchester City). I do not know who covered the other two games.

BBC Radio London
    Tottenham v Man City Murray Burnell and Bradley Allen (commentary, first half DAB only)
    Burnley v Arsenal Mark Taylor
    NFL at Wembley Jamie Hill