Time Team... with Sign Language!

2»

Comments

• meechyemoomeechyemoo Posts: 659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why should primetime TV cater for a minority of people at the inconvenience of everyone else?

People with normal hearing don't want their screen taken up by a person talking to deaf people. If deaf people want to know what's being said then they should read the subtitles.

In this day and age it doesn't matter what time it's on. Most people have some form of recording equipment. Until then, they can read the ****ing subtitles.

I cannot say just how astounded I am by the lack of tolerance by some people in this thread.

1. BSL is a separate language it has its own grammar. It does not always translate word for word into written English. You may as well translate into French.

2. Subtitles are at best rubbish. Half the sentences are missing, they very rarely follow exactly what is said, with the occasional random word thrown in for good measure. Think to when you have watched a foreign film with subtitles and how difficult it is.

3. Much of your understanding is made up of the whole, speech, expressions etc. Subtitles cannot convey this, whereas the Signer can. This is especially true when people aren't looking directly at the camera. Why don't you try watching people at work through a window when they are looking away from you and see how easy it is to understand the full meaning of the conversation being had.

What about actually embracing the subtitles, instead of just thinking of you. Why don't you record stuff to watch so the deaf people can enjoy their programmes at a normal time. I find the logo in the corner of programmes can be distracting but you quickly get used to it - you have to.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    snoweyowl wrote: »
    The repeat now on 4seven appears to be free of the annoying woman waving her arms about.

well spotted, wish i had known this on sunday, would have ditched sundays episode and watched this instead!
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From what little I've seen of this programme, "Metal Micky" (the one who dashes between trenches), had a sign language all his own,
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    meechyemoo wrote: »
    I cannot say just how astounded I am by the lack of tolerance by some people in this thread.

1. BSL is a separate language it has its own grammar. It does not always translate word for word into written English. You may as well translate into French.

2. Subtitles are at best rubbish. Half the sentences are missing, they very rarely follow exactly what is said, with the occasional random word thrown in for good measure. Think to when you have watched a foreign film with subtitles and how difficult it is.

3. Much of your understanding is made up of the whole, speech, expressions etc. Subtitles cannot convey this, whereas the Signer can. This is especially true when people aren't looking directly at the camera. Why don't you try watching people at work through a window when they are looking away from you and see how easy it is to understand the full meaning of the conversation being had.

What about actually embracing the subtitles, instead of just thinking of you. Why don't you record stuff to watch so the deaf people can enjoy their programmes at a normal time. I find the logo in the corner of programmes can be distracting but you quickly get used to it - you have to.
    Nothing wrong with subtitles use them all the time
    The Killing
    Borgen
    Montalbano
    Spiral
  • davisadavisa Posts: 698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Spruce wrote: »
    I put a sheet of A4 up to cover her up!

Not big enough! 86" TV :)
  • davisadavisa Posts: 698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe some deaf people would find subtitles distracting. Such intolerance and insensitivity, astounding.
    Hardly. Plenty of technology around to allow interactive display of signing - of course the television industry is only interested in crappy 3D, not actually helping an audience (ie: the deaf or blind) that should be provided for better.
  • StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    davisa wrote: »
    Not big enough! 86" TV :)
    So it felt like she was in the room with you then.:eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    percyvere wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with subtitles use them all the time
    The Killing
    Borgen
    Montalbano
    Spiral

The difference is - probably they have been provided and paid for as part of the programme. Normal BBC / ITV subtitles on UK programs are never this good and are usually full of mistakes. I wouldn't know on the above programmes if they are wrong, but having grown up reading subtitles they are no substitute for signing.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Gaelic and Welsh are both officially recognised British languages so should the programme also repeat everything in these languages for the benefit of those who can speak the languages as they also might not like subtitles.
  • AdamClelandAdamCleland Posts: 699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Oh look, here comes the obligatory left wing extremist smashing furiously on a keyboard whilst red faced and probably even crying in sheer anger and frustration. You're probably not even deaf are you?

It's not really my problem if an English deaf person cannot understand English. English isn't just a spoken language (Obviously. We're on an internet forum.) and if they're too stubborn to learn it then that's their deal. And the millions of us with hearing shouldn't suffer to accommodate a minority's personal decision.

Wrong. I watch programmes with subtitles late at night so as to not disturb people sleeping and 99% of the time they're absolutely fine. I can always completely understand what's going on. When there are errors, this doesn't spoil the enjoyment of the whole programme and invariably it only takes a split second of general thought to work out what it was meant to say.
    3. Much of your understanding is made up of the whole, speech, expressions etc. Subtitles cannot convey this.

Yes they can. Not ever heard of punctuation?
    Why don't you record stuff to watch so the deaf people can enjoy their programmes at a normal time. I find the logo in the corner of programmes can be distracting but you quickly get used to it - you have to.

If you're distracted by a channel logo then that's just hilarious. In an ideal world, we'd be able to turn them on and off just like we can with subtitles, but until then it's completely moronic to think we should just allow primetime TV to be heavily disrupted so as to cater for a very very tiny percentage of the viewing audience.

I think you need to look at yourself and your extremist opinions and consider how they reflect on you as a person.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 478
    Forum Member
    Oh look, here comes the obligatory left wing extremist smashing furiously on a keyboard whilst red faced and probably even crying in sheer anger and frustration. You're probably not even deaf are you?

It's not really my problem if an English deaf person cannot understand English. English isn't just a spoken language (Obviously. We're on an internet forum.) and if they're too stubborn to learn it then that's their deal. And the millions of us with hearing shouldn't suffer to accommodate a minority's personal decision.

Wrong. I watch programmes with subtitles late at night so as to not disturb people sleeping and 99% of the time they're absolutely fine. I can always completely understand what's going on. When there are errors, this doesn't spoil the enjoyment of the whole programme and invariably it only takes a split second of general thought to work out what it was meant to say.

If you're distracted by a channel logo then that's just hilarious. In an ideal world, we'd be able to turn them on and off just like we can with subtitles, but until then it's completely moronic to think we should just allow primetime TV to be heavily disrupted so as to cater for a very very tiny percentage of the viewing audience.

I think you need to look at yourself and your extremist opinions and consider how they reflect on you as a person.

Superb post! Thank you!
  • Ex PatEx Pat Posts: 7,514
    Forum Member

First off, the bit in bold is just plain ridiculous. So you think the vast majority of viewers should have to tolerate the annoyance of the signer in order to please a small number of people ? :confused:
    Personly speaking i don't find it too bad usually, but in many instances, including Sundays Time team, the signer obscured the graphic that identified the person on screen.

The other points you make may be quite valid. It's really up to the broadcaster to facilitate the hard of hearing without inconviencing the majority. Perhaps using the "red button" ?
    With digital technology, anything is possible.

But please, don't blame us for being annoyed. I like to view as much of the content as possible on my screen without any irritating graphics or signers. And i include the DOG in the corner.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Please read http://www.signedlanguage.co.uk/Subtitles.html which was written before DSO completed.
  • VetinariVetinari Posts: 3,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You shouldn't be.

Given the microscopic number of people who can read signing but cannot read subtitles it is absurd that prime-time TV should spoil the viewing pleasure for millions just for the benefit of a few thousand when it is perfectly possible to broadcast a separate version for recording.

I know someone who is unable to hear TV and for them the lack of subtitles on DVD is a far, far, more important issue than having some woman flapping her arms about on screen.

It's really heartbreaking when you tell her of some film or series that she would love to watch and she sadly tells you that she can't as they have not subtitled the DVD's (even if the programmes/films in question were originally transmitted with subtitles).
    What about actually embracing the subtitles, instead of just thinking of you.

I do.

For foreign language films it's often essential.

They are so easy to follow that I'm not even aware that I'm using them most of the time. (e.g. no Pedro Almavodar films were made in English or dubbed but I remember them as if I had seen them in English.)
  • Robin McInnesRobin McInnes Posts: 87
    Forum Member
    Hello, OP here.

Just for everyone's information C4 were kind enough to apologise for Sunday's signed TT episode in an email reply to a complaint I submitted to them:-

"Thank you for contacting Channel 4 Viewer Enquiries regarding TIME TEAM.

We are very sorry that the episode of TIME TEAM that was shown on Sunday 10th March was broadcast with Sign Language and Subtitles, we can only apologise and advise that the same episode is to be shown tonight with no sign language or subtitles on our Channel 4seven at 7pm on 11th March.

Thank you again for taking the time to contact us. We appreciate all feedback from our viewers; complimentary or otherwise.

Regards,

F--- C----n
    Channel 4 Viewer Enquiries"

So it seems that it was a mistake, but it doesn't explain how the mistake happened. I would have thought VTs would be clearly labelled so as to avoid this.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vetinari wrote: »
    You shouldn't be.

Given the microscopic number of people who can read signing but cannot read subtitles it is absurd that prime-time TV should spoil the viewing pleasure for millions just for the benefit of a few thousand when it is perfectly possible to broadcast a separate version for recording. .....

I remember when CEEFAX subtitling was in its early days, the accuracy was quite poor at times especially on live programmes but there were comments that people were just so glad to be able to know what was being said that they could tolerate those inaccuracies. I am sure that most deaf viewers understand that in vision signing is not acceptable to most other viewers so are prepared to time-shift the late night reshowing of the programmes. If there has been a big campaign for all programmes to have in vision signing then I have certainly not been aware of it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    .... So it seems that it was a mistake, but it doesn't explain how the mistake happened. I would have thought VTs would be clearly labelled so as to avoid this.

But it seems to have been billed in advance as 'signed' so it does not seem to have been a case of the wrong tape selected but someone in scheduling having made the mistake then the person in playout just doing what they were told. It's surprising that no one in Channel 4 continuity noticed and queried it so they could have put out an apology before or after the programme.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hello, OP here.

Just for everyone's information C4 were kind enough to apologise for Sunday's signed TT episode in an email reply to a complaint I submitted to them:-

"Thank you for contacting Channel 4 Viewer Enquiries regarding TIME TEAM.

We are very sorry that the episode of TIME TEAM that was shown on Sunday 10th March was broadcast with Sign Language and Subtitles, we can only apologise and advise that the same episode is to be shown tonight with no sign language or subtitles on our Channel 4seven at 7pm on 11th March.

Thank you again for taking the time to contact us. We appreciate all feedback from our viewers; complimentary or otherwise.

Regards,

F--- C----n
    Channel 4 Viewer Enquiries"

So it seems that it was a mistake, but it doesn't explain how the mistake happened. I would have thought VTs would be clearly labelled so as to avoid this.

I bet what they really were thinking was:

"Thank you for contacting Channel 4 Viewer Enquiries regarding TIME TEAM....but as it's the last one..who cares...we'll still stick some apologist guff below but as we decided to ditch it thpppttttttt...."
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the meantime for the tens of thousands of women whose first language is BSL, it might have been a rare treat to have had an opportunity to spend part of Mother's Day watching Time Team with an interpreter in-vision.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Please get a grip. No, I am not deaf but my sister is.

I think you don't appreciate how difficult it is to learn if you cannot hear. It so happens my sister went to a school where they didn't learn to sign. the school and educational policy at the time was that this would lead to better intergration. It doesn't, unfortunatly it does impact on your ability to learn spoken and written English. i do not think it was laziness/stubboness on her part or that of anyone else in her situation. She has since learned to sign and life is much easier. You are hardly suffering by having a signer in the orner of the screen.

Well, my experience is they are OK but never quite good enough, and it can ruin the enjoyment. Sometimes a whole programme, such as a drama, can be turned on your understanding of a word, phrase, tone of voice. How many discussions are there on here about what was really meant in some scenes?

That is part of the point, not everyone has the same knowledge and understanding of punctuation as you.

So I can't be distracted by a channel logo that covers part of the picture but you can be annoyed by having something in the corner? In an ideal world all programmes TV would have the ability to have subtitles, signers, logos turned on and off at will. It not going to happen any time soon but why shouldn't deaf people be allowed to enjoy some programmes on primetime TV with signing. It isn't that intrusive.
    Really? Words fail me. You were a tiny tiny bit put out by something you didn't want to see, yet i am extremist?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sue_Aitch wrote: »
    In the meantime for the tens of thousands of women whose first language is BSL, it might have been a rare treat to have had an opportunity to spend part of Mother's Day watching Time Team with an interpreter in-vision.

Why would it not have been a similar treat for men?

Or are men just better at reading subtitles?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I too found her very distracting, I only watched the last 45 minutes, but my husband watched from the start and he said she wasn't on for the first 15 minutes! so anyone watching who was deaf would have missed the first half anyway.

Not the version I watched - she was there from the start.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vetinari wrote: »
    Why would it not have been a similar treat for men?

Or are men just better at reading subtitles?

I was simply making the link between not having a Y chromosone and it being Mothering Sunday - didn't wish to appear misandrist. Apologies for any misunderstanding.

94% of programmes or so on C4 and E4 are not signed and 100% of programmes on More4 are not signed, by the way.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sue_Aitch wrote: »
    I was simply making the link between not having a Y chromosone and it being Mothering Sunday

Er, OK. :confused:

Although, I would point out that it's actually Tuesday.
    94% of programmes or so on C4 and E4 are not signed and 100% of programmes on More4 are not signed, by the way.

To my mind it would be far better if the government mandated universal subtitles rather than set some small target for signing (which will mean that the deaf only ever get the chance to watch a small percentage of programmes).

Apart from those who are actually deaf, there are many people who can converse perfectly normally in everyday life who have trouble following TV programmes due to background noise, poor sound engineering and bad diction by actors.