Samsung Galaxy S4 (mini) - BT Homehub 2.0 Connection problems

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,053
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I've had this phone for about a month now, and from the get-go it has had problems staying connected to my BT home hub. The hub is in the same room as the phone usually when this happens, right in front of the phone.

Initially the phone will connect to the router but then usually after a few minutes it will drop. I try to reconnect and get either of the messages below.
  • Not in range
  • Authentication error occurred

I would say 90% of my web browsing etc is being done on 3G because of this and it is eating up my monthly data allowance of 750mb like wildfire.

I have Googled this and been through a number of solutions suggested for other people with similar problems, such as :
  • Restart the router
  • Restart the phone
  • Change the channel the router is on
  • Change the encryption type to WPA or WPA2

None of these work. They may appear to work temporarily, but the problem continues. What frustrates me, is many people say the solution is to restart the router, but I have better things to be doing than rebooting my router every 5 minutes. That is no solution.

I am thinking of changing internet providers at this stage, if only to get a different router. My last phone was an iphone4 and it had intermittent connections problems with the router but not to this extent.

If the router is not the problem then I have to look to the phone. There has never been a problem with the router and my laptop keeping a connection anywhere in the house so it seems strange that there is compatibility issue with the phone.

Does anyone know of this problem and/or have a solution?

Comments

• lem ramsaylem ramsay Posts: 1,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know if you can, but couldn't you just change the router? Does it have to be a BT one for your connection to work?
    My bf used to have a BT connection and he got a different router a few years ago (we don't have a broadband connection anymore now), so I think you might be able to just buy a new router, but feel free to tell me I am wrong :).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lem ramsay wrote: »
    I don't know if you can, but couldn't you just change the router? Does it have to be a BT one for your connection to work?
    My bf used to have a BT connection and he got a different router a few years ago (we don't have a broadband connection anymore now), so I think you might be able to just buy a new router, but feel free to tell me I am wrong :).

If I switch providers the router will be often be free though and there are better deals than BT out there, so I am probably going to change in the near future. Ideally I would like to get a solution to this so that I don't have to rush that decision.

Also I could spend money on a new router and still be stuck with the same problem, so that's not something I will be doing.

I appreciate your response though, thanks :)
  • lem ramsaylem ramsay Posts: 1,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hopefully it's not the phone the problem then :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lem ramsay wrote: »
    Hopefully it's not the phone the problem then :)

I am hoping not, perhaps more a phone / router compatibility thing but there might be a solution. I wait and hope. Thanks.
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    Have you tried your phone on Wi-Fi elsewhere (e.g friends wi-fi or work wi-fi)

I assume you have.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    Have you tried your phone on Wi-Fi elsewhere (e.g friends wi-fi or work wi-fi)

I assume you have.

Yeah, it seems ok. Of course, it's hard to say if it would stay constantly connected as I tend not to be in one place for very long. The same thing with the wi fi at work really, it does drop, but then I'm not necessarily always in range of the router as it's a big building.

All I know is it constantly drops connection in my living room. :(
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    crowby1 wrote: »
    Yeah, it seems ok. Of course, it's hard to say if it would stay constantly connected as I tend not to be in one place for very long. The same thing with the wi fi at work really, it does drop, but then I'm not necessarily always in range of the router as it's a big building.

All I know is it constantly drops connection in my living room. :(

Have you tried it with an open connection. (removing the WPA/WEP key).

Try it with an open connection and monitor it for a while. Don't forget to turn password protection back on afterwards.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    Have you tried it with an open connection. (removing the WPA/WEP key).

Try it with an open connection and monitor it for a while. Don't forget to turn password protection back on afterwards.

Without wanting to sound unco-operative - I don't really want to leave my router open for extended periods. I did switch it to WEP security a few weeks ago and it stayed connected quite well, but apparently the security on that is quite poor.

I think the WPA/WPA2 authentication is a part of the issue between the phone and the router so I guess I'm looking for a solution to that without reducing the security.