Mary on Cher interviewed on TV3

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,882
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi there was a thread that got deleted because people on both sides of the argument were being childish and insulting despite not having seen the interview, as it is only available to watch in Ireland. To clear things up I have written out exactly what Mary said.

"I loved Cher, She was a nice kid. but sometimes I felt like slapping her, I told her that to her face, so I'm not talking behind the child's back. I hope she's able to cope with it mentally. She is a bit highly strung, god love her. But a nice kid and I hope things work out for her, I hope her family stick by her. Because that's what she needs now."

Mary seemed to be speaking her honest opinion and didn't seem bitter about anything. She also talked about how she thought the show was too much pressure for 16 and 17 year olds.

If it's ok with the mods I'd like to start a new thread. Hopefully people can keep civil in It. If you would rather not have this here. Please feel free to delete it.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To be fair, the original thread had potential to become nasty. I don't think it did. Childish maybe as the participants just took shots at each other (and one in particular) but it was by and large good humoured.

I'm sorry it was deleted and hope no-one lost posting privileges because of it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 245
    Forum Member
    I don't think I commented on the old one but I'll say

Thank you! For posting exactly what she said - the other one only said the negative

She said she 'loved Cher' - thats all I need to hear now.

Case closed.
  • Monster101Monster101 Posts: 2,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the other thread pulled a tabloid newspaper stunt and only quoted one sentence, just another excuse to start verbally battering Cher. its become so tedious now
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Monster101 wrote: »
    the other thread pulled a tabloid newspaper stunt and only quoted one sentence, just another excuse to start verbally battering Cher. its become so tedious now

That definitely wasn't the OPs intention. They have championed Mary from the off and defended her vociferously at times too. They were searching for a link to the actual interview.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

In fairness to the poster of the other thread they explained that they had just watched the interview on television so only posted what stuck out to them.

It's a 10 minute interview. For anyone who wants to watch ( It's only available in Ireland though )

http://tv3.ie/videos.php?video=30376
  • EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well,TV3 themselves led on Mary's "I could have slapped Cher" comments at the top of their show,meaning they considered it an important quote.

I would have posted the entire interview myself earlier had it been available and allowed people to make up their own minds.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    donbon wrote: »
    In fairness to the poster of the other thread they explained that they had just watched the interview on television so only posted what stuck out to them.

It's a 10 minute interview. For anyone who wants to watch ( It's only available in Ireland though )

Indeed,I said it was a "wide ranging interview" and I made it perfectly clear I had plucked a single quote from it as it was a potentially interesting talking point.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It's not. I'm watching her in London :D
  • honeygirl231honeygirl231 Posts: 460
    Forum Member
    Thats what the press do thats how they draw in viewers, if they would have just put Mary saying she loved Cher, and she hopes she does well, it wouldn't have drawn in viewers. Thats why I alway say never believe what u hear are read, until u get the full story.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi there was a thread that got deleted because people on both sides of the argument were being childish and insulting despite not having seen the interview, as it is only available to watch in Ireland. To clear things up I have written out exactly what Mary said.

"I loved Cher, She was a nice kid. but sometimes I felt like slapping her, I told her that to her face, so I'm not talking behind the child's back. I hope she's able to cope with it mentally. She is a bit highly strung, god love her. But a nice kid and I hope things work out for her, I hope her family stick by her. Because that's what she needs now."

Mary seemed to be speaking her honest opinion and didn't seem bitter about anything. She also talked about how she thought the show was too much pressure for 16 and 17 year olds.

If it's ok with the mods I'd like to start a new thread. Hopefully people can keep civil in It. If you would rather not have this here. Please feel free to delete it.

Just been watching the clip and some of the quotes from Mary were edited out from the Xpose show."She's a bit highly strung,God love her" etc,I didn't even hear on the programme tonight :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ardwark wrote: »
    It's not. I'm watching her in London :D

Strange, as normally TV3 vids are only available in Ireland. I have tried to watch them while away.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the link. She sounds both excited about her future and relieved that chapter is over.

Yes, she better move herself to do the Christmas shopping :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think that Cher got a lot of undeserved treatment. From the get go she was hit with the storm that Gamu didn't go through and she did. Not her fault!! So many vicious rumors in which she practically slept with all the guys in the house.:rolleyes: Etc etc. It was obvious the kid was going to crack eventually. Why I think they should raise the age limit is because obviously the people in charge are very incompetent. Cher was surrounded by a lot of ADULTS, Mary included, instead of trying to help a girl that had just turned 17 they crucified her and fed her to the sharks (the media and their 'sources').

People say that the 1D boys are also very young and they didn't behave like bratts. But remember that they never got stick for anything. Nobody gave them a proper critique about their singing, lack of originality in their songs, miming, etc. No rumors with the boys. They cruised by the competition based on their looks. Period.

But Cher unlike MARY was in the constant limelight! It was unreal. The last story is that she was a poor looser and didn't want to go the finale and snubbed Matt!! Which is obviously not true!!

Mary is entitled to her opinion. Can't watch the video so hard to know her tone and intention. But my point is that Mary was not in Cher's shoes. Mary barely made the news. So it's unfair to judge Cher, who was obviously acting in response to various attacks coming from everywhere, including Louis. People need to step back and look at the situation objectively and answer if they would have cracked after 10 WEEKS! 10!! Of constant bullying.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the link. She sounds both excited about her future and relieved that chapter is over.

I really like Mary's attitude. I think she was highly stressed on the X Factor but she's happy about the whole experience. Even on the night she was voted out she was very classy and seemed to accept the situation with grace even though she was treated rather unfairly.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 245
    Forum Member
    I think that Cher got a lot of undeserved treatment. From the get go she was hit with the storm that Gamu didn't go through and she did. Not her fault!! So many vicious rumors in which she practically slept with all the guys in the house.:rolleyes: Etc etc. It was obvious the kid was going to crack eventually. Why I think they should raise the age limit is because obviously the people in charge are very incompetent. Cher was surrounded by a lot of ADULTS, Mary included, instead of trying to help a girl that had just turned 17 they crucified her and fed her to the sharks (the media and their 'sources').

People say that the 1D boys are also very young and they didn't behave like bratts. But remember that they never got stick for anything. Nobody gave them a proper critique about their singing, lack of originality in their songs, miming, etc. No rumors with the boys. They cruised by the competition based on their looks. Period.

But Cher unlike MARY was in the constant limelight! It was unreal. The last story is that she was a poor looser and didn't want to go the finale and snubbed Matt!! Which is obviously not true!!

Mary is entitled to her opinion. Can't watch the video so hard to know her tone and intention. But my point is that Mary was not in Cher's shoes. Mary barely made the news. So it's unfair to judge Cher, who was obviously acting in response to various attacks coming from everywhere, including Louis. People need to step back and look at the situation objectively and answer if they would have cracked after 10 WEEKS! 10!! Of constant bullying.

I completly agree with everything you say.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting that Mary singles out Katie as someone whose kindness and encouragement helped to keep her going.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To be fair, the original thread had potential to become nasty. I don't think it did. Childish maybe as the participants just took shots at each other (and one in particular) but it was by and large good humoured.

I'm sorry it was deleted and hope no-one lost posting privileges because of it.

I'm still here. :D

TBH, I just made a simple comment. When I made that comment, It wasn't my intention to get some members so worked up about it and start an argument. I do take responsibility for going along with the childish arguing, though, even if it was in good humor. So for that, I apologize to the OP for getting their thread deleted. Sorry.
  • maringarmaringar Posts: 6,737
    Forum Member

I have to disagree with you with regard to Mary and the media, from the time she went into the competition she was featured on radio, t.v. and in magazines, i don't know anything about Cher and tbh i have no interest in her, one creates their own press whether good or bad, in Chers case it was quite negative, but as the saying goes, there is no smoke without fire, some of the threads on here have been disgraceful over the weeks with regard to Mary, i.e, her weight, appearance, the state of her house, her singing, at times i found the threads upsetting to the point where i found myself uunable to respond to them, why people would want to participate in such a spiteful and hateful way, is, beyond me, and i am not surprised the last thread was removed, it was deteriorating into the same nastiness. Mary has had good Press because she is a lovely woman, she appreciates the chances she has been given, and there is no agenda, i wish her well in the future, i am a fan and look forward to seeing her go onwards and upwards. I was disappointed she was not given her rightful place in the final, and have looked for a refund on the money i spent on voting for her in the semi final, i think i will have a long wait, but stranger things have happened :)