Options

The Way Back

planetnokiaplanetnokia Posts: 15,023
Forum Member
✭✭
If you've seen "The Road" then you'll find that "The Way Back" takes a similar long slow route to it's final destination.

Siberian gulag scenes are extremely realistic and the wilderness is both beautiful and terrifying.

Quite enjoyed it...in fact I've no complaints about the movie apart from wondering did it really benefit from Colin Farrell being in it.

Comments

• Options
    ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you've seen "The Road" then you'll find that "The Way Back" takes a similar long slow route to it's final destination.

Siberian gulag scenes are extremely realistic and the wilderness is both beautiful and terrifying.

Quite enjoyed it...in fact I've no complaints about the movie apart from wondering did it really benefit from Colin Farrell being in it.

Shame it's not actually true.:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really want to see it, but my local Vue aren't doing it. I think the indie cinema in town has it near the end of January though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 261
    Forum Member
    I watched it on Boxing Day. Was really impressed by the trailer.
    I really enjoyed it- very engaging and I loved Colin's charecter- he was really interesting and quite likeable in a rogue-ish way. Not to mention he was quite sexy to look at. I found all the charecters really engaging and I wanted to know more about them- it seemed we only had really personal glimpses of a character just before they passed away. The story was lovely and beautifully filmed. Would watch again.

Its not based on a true story, unfortunately- apparently the guy that wrote the memoir- Rawicz based it on his own personal experiences- which were later proven to be false.
  • Options
    StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    Enjoyed this mostly, but it did go on a bit, 2 hours 10 mins too long...And most films could do without Colin Farrell, in them.
    :cool:
  • Options
    ErlangErlang Posts: 6,619
    Forum Member
    ironjade wrote: »
    Shame it's not actually true.:)

Except it is true it just didn't happen to the author as he claimed. One of the survivors still lives.

Witold Glinski.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Finally coming to the nearby indie cinema next Monday (17th)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sbds1 wrote: »
    Finally coming to the nearby indie cinema next Monday (17th)

Trust you'll enjoy it :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw it and enjoyed it but am gutted it is not really true. I believe the author of the original book has now said he didn't really do it but he know someone who did but it's disappointing.

I looked at the book on amazon after some research and looking at other books it seems that a lot of books of that type are written then proved not to be true! I can't believe it, that someone would make stuff like that up and it's all lies.

I actually am a little bit obsessed with The Way Back at the moment. I just can't get my head round a film like that being made when it's not strictly true what they went through. Would i have enjoyed it if i knew it was fake at the time? What's the point in films like that if they are not true? Argh it's really bugging me!! My husband won't even discuss it with me anymore lol.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    littleRB wrote: »
    I saw it and enjoyed it but am gutted it is not really true. I believe the author of the original book has now said he didn't really do it but he know someone who did but it's disappointing.

I looked at the book on amazon after some research and looking at other books it seems that a lot of books of that type are written then proved not to be true! I can't believe it, that someone would make stuff like that up and it's all lies.

I actually am a little bit obsessed with The Way Back at the moment. I just can't get my head round a film like that being made when it's not strictly true what they went through. Would i have enjoyed it if i knew it was fake at the time? What's the point in films like that if they are not true? Argh it's really bugging me!! My husband won't even discuss it with me anymore lol.

Does it matter if it's true or not? It's fascinating to watch man (and woman) pitted against numerous hostile environments. To watch people co-operating thus ensuring their own survival.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does it matter if it's true or not? It's fascinating to watch man (and woman) pitted against numerous hostile environments. To watch people co-operating thus ensuring their own survival.

That's what i'm not sure about. If it's not true then they could have met a herd of yeti and survived or died and come back to life if you know what i mean? If it's fiction then it's irrelevant? I know what you are saying and i did enjoy i am just confusing myself.

I am trying to think of a film i have seen that wasn't a real story in this way that i enjoyed and i can't!
  • Options
    ErlangErlang Posts: 6,619
    Forum Member

At the risk of repeating myself.

Witold Glinski
    The BBC and Linda Willis believed that The Long Walk had been made, possibly by another Polish man named Witold Glinski. Willis learned about Glinski in 2003. BBC reporter Hugh Levinson was tipped off about Glinski’s version of events after his first programme in 2006. In 2009 a reporter for Reader’s Digest, John Dyson, made Glinski famous by publishing an article claiming he was the man who really made The Long Walk.

Quote source http://www.wideworldblogs.com/explorer-blog/

But there is unlikely ever to be authenticated documentation proving anything one way or the other.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's what i'm not sure about. If it's not true then they could have met a herd of yeti and survived or died and come back to life if you know what i mean? If it's fiction then it's irrelevant? I know what you are saying and i did enjoy i am just confusing myself.

I am trying to think of a film i have seen that wasn't a real story in this way that i enjoyed and i can't!

Suggest you try "The Road" next.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't know that one, is it a book or a film?

I am happy to read that The Way back is based on true events lol :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I looked it up and it looks good, thank you will maybe get book first then watch dvd.
  • Options
    alisonrose3764alisonrose3764 Posts: 1,493
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was disappointed - thought it did not deliver at all - they were far too nice to each other for a start and although some of the stuff looked tough I did not get a real sense of desperation.
    It also had an air of made for TV about it.
    Shame.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I don't know that one, is it a book or a film?

I am happy to read that The Way back is based on true events lol :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Road_(film)
  • Options
    filmfan7filmfan7 Posts: 3,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Soarise Ronan gives a brilliant performance AGAIN ! in this movie , she is a very talented young actress following on from her performances in Atonement and The Lovely Bones !
  • Options
    MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fantastic direction, beautiful, stunning cinematography, great acting, superb performances! This is truly epic movie making in every sense of the word. I can't praise this film enough.

I don't know why this film isn't being talked about more or in the running for nominations at the Golden Globes/Oscars. It truly deserves it. Peter Weir is back at the top of his game.

Absolutely phenomenal film! Please go see it!