Can anyone actually still use 4OD?

2»

Comments

• ovbgovbg Posts: 1,451
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DS-Guy wrote: »
    Yes understand that bit Android being the OS so if by visting the site directly and not via the Android app would this get round that platform problem?
    Perhaps. But it depends if the website works on mobile platforms. Since Android and iOS don't use Flash, and many streaming websites require this, they often don't work anyway.
    And you say i can request it from them for the support of zattoo via my smart DNS is this correct?
    You can always request your Smart DNS service to add support. Whether they do or not is a different story.

By the way, don't request this from the service itself, i.e. 4oD. If you went to 4oD and asked for Smart DNS support, they may very well choke.

and you mentioned Chromecast now
    while i have heard of this are you refering to the browser Chrome? this is all new stuff for me so hence my questions!
    No. I'm referring to the hardware stick that costs around £25 or so.

A Chrome browser may have native support for Chromecasting, as do many apps for iOS and Android, but avoid at all costs "mirroring".

Basically, with Chromecast, you can "send" a video from your mobile device or Chrome tab to the TV via the hardware device. Not all apps support Chromecast (but Zattoo does). Some people will try and tell you everything can be sent via mirroring - which is technically true, but video quality via mirroring is horrible. The best way is when an app has "native" support, meaning it sends the details to the stick for streaming, and the stick takes over with a direct, high quality stream.
  • DS-GuyDS-Guy Posts: 182
    Forum Member
    hi can you give me the correct url for the catch up service on zattoo i have visited the site but it showed me a page of 20 channels and no channel 4 or 5 and it's live streams thanks :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is the correct URL: http://zattoo.com/ch/en/
    however, as mentioned, it is a Swiss based service and requires either a VPN pointing to Switzerland, or a supporting Smart DNS service. If you don't see the UK channels with your Smart DNS, then it looks as though they don't support Zattoo - which is a little odd since it is so popular.
    Forum Member
    ovbg wrote: »
    This is the correct URL: http://zattoo.com/ch/en/
    however, as mentioned, it is a Swiss based service and requires either a VPN pointing to Switzerland, or a supporting Smart DNS service. If you don't see the UK channels with your Smart DNS, then it looks as though they don't support Zattoo - which is a little odd since it is so popular.
    Thanks when i googled last night zattoo it was a different url still zattoo though and while it was zattoo it wasn't the correct one. riight so far so good the url you have provided didn't redirect and everything seems to be on the page! one small point just below the top tabs was a ! in a triangle saying for uk channels
    click here do you get that too and should i be clicking on it? Once again thanks for your help you Guy's are really helpful and straight to the point :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks when i googled last night zattoo it was a different url still zattoo though and while it was zattoo it wasn't the correct one. \\right so far so good the url you have provided didn\t redirect and everything seems to be on the page! one small point just below the top tabs was a ! in a triangle saying for uk channels
    click here do you get that too and should i be clicking on it? Once again thanks for your help you Guy's are really helpful and straight to the point :)

The confusion generally arises from Zattoo's International interests. Zattoo have websites and channels in multiple countries, with Switzerland being the base, and Germany being their next largest market. I think they are also found in France and Spain.

Zattoo did (any may still do) have a UK website, and they used to offer all the main UK channels in Britain. However, they no longer do. If you reach the UK version of Zattoo, it does NOT have the BBC, ITV, Channel 4 and such.

Neither does the German, French, Spanish or any other country except Switzerland.

You will have to access the Swiss service. The reason for this is that not only being a Swiss company, Zattoo requires the rights from each broadcaster to stream within their respective countries. Switzerland has a law which allows any FTA channel received to be retransmitted by other sources. So, the Swiss version of Zattoo not only has Swiss channels, but German, French, Italian and yes, UK channels such as the BBC, ITV, Channel 4 etc. (They have rather big satellite dishes on their HQ roofs).

Signing up to Zattoo is free, and if your VPN points to Switzerland, or your Smart DNS supports Swiss Zattoo, you will see all the UK channels (they may appear quite a bit below the other countries initially, but you can set them as favourites so they appear at the top). If you are not redirected to Switzerland and live in the UK, you will only see a very small number of channels that are of virtually no interest. If you are in Germany, you will only see German channels, France, only French channels etc. So you need a good Smart DNS or VPN to Switzerland.

Finally, although the free service is then good to test, the video quality is significantly lower than via a sub. You also don't get recordings or Zattoo Recall.

Oh... and because Zattoo Switzerland georestricts their service to Switzerland (which is why you need the VPN or Smart DNS), they only offer support to Swiss based customers. Just be aware of that if you have an issue - you will have to ask here.
    Forum Member
    Damn it first problem! i did register but then was redirected to a mobile page which prompted me to download the app 3 choices. a. download to tablet/phone etc running android 4.2.2 b visit the apple ios store c. send to a different device. so i selected no 1
    great so far it took me to google play store and gues what this app is not availabe to down load in this country. Now What iam thinking because i was loged in to zattoo it was may be picking up that i am no longer based in the uk could this be right.
    so log out of zattoo and go and find the zattoo app that way. how ever i could see the streams but they were the l;ive streams and the ui is a bit complicated and couldn't find
    the catch up on demand serivce so prehaps you may have a direct url for the 140 channels ( for 7 day viewing) I knew it may have caused some problems! tia :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi again,

Yes, being a Swiss service, the app is only available in a few countries. I thing Switzlerland, Germany, France and maybe Spain as well... at least for iOS.

the iOS app is easy to download, you just need to create an iTunes account in Germany or Switzerland (I use the German one - in this case they are all the same as the Smart DNS or VPN still points to Switzerland).

Android is always more difficult there. I don't use Android much, so I can't say how to do this on a phone. On some tablets (without SIM cards), it can be installed by googling "zattoo google play" and then selecting to install via Chome instead of the Google Play app. Sometimes this needs to be done via VPN, sometimes not. Android is always so complicated on things, which is why my tablet is only used for the odd bit of work.

Some people just google the Zattoo apk and download it that way.

The 7 day catch-up is only visible after payment of a sub, and begins from the day you join. This means if you paid for a month today - there will no catch-up (Zattoo Recall) today, tomorrow you will see one day's catch-up, two days later you will have two days and so on, until 7 days from now. After that, there will always be 7 days.

You can access Zattoo recall from the EPG (or guide)

If you are visiting on a website on a computer, do you see the UK channels quite some way down? At the top of the channel list (at the very top/left of the screen) is a tiny square with what could be an angled pen inside it - it is small. Hover over it, and it should say "Favourite Channel List", if you click on it, little stars appear beside the channels. You can click a star to make it your favourite channel. Do this to all the UK ones you want, and they will then always appear at the top of the channel list - very important with 140 channels!
    Forum Member
    Hi i have managed to create a account and logged in ok. what a mither though. what is the difference in the zattoo app and the zattoo apk one? just wish the uk version of zattoo would bring back the fta channels might make it easier to access via a uk server
    and whats the reason why zattoo have had to take some of the fta channels of it's list ? it seems the uk broadcasters want toi make it difficult for us to view their catch up tv services unless we go through the respetive servers! once again thank you for your replies :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zattoo state that they only simulcast channels in the country of origin if they have confirmed permission to do so. It seems the UK channels won't officially give them permission.

The odd thing is that they technically don't need to - FilmOn, TV Catch-up and TVPlayer all follow a law set down in section 73 of the Copyright Design and Patents Act 1988, which clearly allows the retransmission of the main UK channels (BBC 1, 2, ITV 1, 4 & 5) without the need of official permission from the broadcaster.

But from what I can work out, Zattoo became spooked when an EU directive temporarily questioned this earlier judgement and at the time, all the simulcasters briefly when black to ensure they followed the law. However, when the ruling was cleared up, all but Zattoo returned. It seems Zattoo just thought at the time it wasn't worth the effort streaming in the UK.

This is from my own investigations, and at now way has Zattoo officially confirmed this to me.

They stream the UK channels from Switzerland, because under their national law, they are allowed to do so. They restrict the stream to Swiss IP addresses to keep the UK broadcasters off their backs - but they could follow FilmOn's legal stance here, which is to restrict the IP addresses to the EU - since this is officially the single market.

Anything to do with television licensing is long and complicated.

The apk should be the same as the Google Play app. The apk is simply the actual app when held outside of the Google Play store - i.e. the executable file
    Forum Member
    Zattoo state that they only simulcast channels in the country of origin if they have confirmed permission to do so. It seems the UK channels won't officially give them permission.

The odd thing is that they technically don't need to - FilmOn, TV Catch-up and TVPlayer all follow a law set down in section 73 of the Copyright Design and Patents Act 1988, which clearly allows the retransmission of the main UK channels (BBC 1, 2, ITV 1, 4 & 5) without the need of official permission from the broadcaster.

But from what I can work out, Zattoo became spooked when an EU directive temporarily questioned this earlier judgement and at the time, all the simulcasters briefly when black to ensure they followed the law. However, when the ruling was cleared up, all but Zattoo returned. It seems Zattoo just thought at the time it wasn't worth the effort streaming in the UK.

This is from my own investigations, and at now way has Zattoo officially confirmed this to me.

They stream the UK channels from Switzerland, because under their national law, they are allowed to do so. They restrict the stream to Swiss IP addresses to keep the UK broadcasters off their backs - but they could follow FilmOn's legal stance here, which is to restrict the IP addresses to the EU - since this is officially the single market.

Anything to do with television licensing is long and complicated.

The apk should be the same as the Google Play app. The apk is simply the actual app when held outside of the Google Play store - i.e. the executable file[/QUOTE simulcast do you mean live streams or something else as you know iam only wanting the catch up services. you mention a fee even though i want the free service? is this true? do i pay a one oiff fee? thanks again :)
    Forum Member
    i did notiice when in the channel list (140) then i click on one of them it changes the url to zattoo.com/external and on that page it says you are mobile etc etc but if you get the 140 channels list and then in chrome browser request desk top page then click one of the uk channels you are taken to the guide (epg) still not sure about the pencil icon as the icons are very tiny does the forum allow jpeg
    attachments in a post or pm? if the service is fee why do you have to pay a sub before you see the catch up service? and how much is this fee and is it a one off
    fee? thanks agin for you help!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry, I didn't realize you wanted a free service.

Zattoo's live channel's are free. But to access their premium features such as catch-up, you have to pay.

Payment does a number of things:
    * Removes the commericals that play between channel hops.
    * Increases the video quality dramatically.
    * Allows what they call Zattoo Recall - which is the catch-up from the EPG of every programme from every channel.
    * Allows recordings from the EPG - up to 250 to be stored on their servers.

So, to access the catch-up, it is not free. I guess it is not what you are after.

What I would suggest then is to try something like the Now TV box. This only costs £10 and comes with free delivery and an HDMI cable. Seriously, an HDMI cable can cost more than £10, so I tend to think of these boxes as an HDMI cable with a free STB thrown in.

You don't need to pay Sky zip afterwards, so you can still keep and use all the FTA channels on free of charge. They include 4oD which you are after, along with the BBC iPlayer, ITV Player, Demand 5, BBC Sport etc. Not bad for ten quid.

If it doesn't work, throw the box away and keep the HDMI cable.
    Forum Member
    Sorry, I didn't realize you wanted a free service.

Zattoo's live channel's are free. But to access their premium features such as catch-up, you have to pay.

Payment does a number of things:
    * Removes the commericals that play between channel hops.
    * Increases the video quality dramatically.
    * Allows what they call Zattoo Recall - which is the catch-up from the EPG of every programme from every channel.
    * Allows recordings from the EPG - up to 250 to be stored on their servers.

So, to access the catch-up, it is not free. I guess it is not what you are after.

What I would suggest then is to try something like the Now TV box. This only costs £10 and comes with free delivery and an HDMI cable. Seriously, an HDMI cable can cost more than £10, so I tend to think of these boxes as an HDMI cable with a free STB thrown in.

You don't need to pay Sky zip afterwards, so you can still keep and use all the FTA channels on free of charge. They include 4oD which you are after, along with the BBC iPlayer, ITV Player, Demand 5, BBC Sport etc. Not bad for ten quid.

If it doesn't work, throw the box away and keep the HDMI cable.
    hi i did say in a previous post i would try the free service first and presumed it would be catch up too even though the bit rate is slower than the premium service which you
    have to pay for. i am going to take a look at the review site again. don't know how often they may change their t's and c's. so are you saying every catchp tv site/app that has uk tv on it will have a charge for viewing fta channels and programmes that were shown up to 7 days before? it's a rip cheers :)
    Forum Member
    Now just been looking on the eye on demand site and had a look around and come across tanktop tv it seems they do movies and catch up tv services simply by clicking on the tv shows tab so my question is to the tech experts on here ( i think it will work for me) is it going to work? http://movies.tanktop.tv tia :)
    Forum Member
    so back to square one on this matter! i stopped using itv player via the app and visit the site directly and it works so tried this with going directly to channel 4 website and no video's play so it's not just he app at fault but the channel 4 webiste you wouldn't think that catch up tv services would be so difficult to get working?
    so as the law stands can a uk webiste like for eg: catcuptv bring back the 7 day ctach up service or does the change in the law only apply to over seas websites that re transmit uk catch up tv services?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi DS-Guy,
    Tanktop TV is a great service, but it is really more like a "Radio Times" for catch-up and on-demand. It doesn't actually stream television itself. But I still love the site.

As for the legality of catch-up content in the UK from 3rd party sources, I have no idea. I suspect however that section 73 of the Copyright Design and Patents Act 1988 refers only to the live (linear) feeds and not "recording" them and allowing people access to those recordings - at least in the UK.

So, can I ask what is wrong with say a Roku or Now TV box, which offers catch-up for all the main UK television networks? Were you having issues with this, or have you not tried it yet? The Now TV box costs only £10 with free delivery, so it is certainly worth a try, and you don't need to pay Sky any subscription fees.
    Forum Member
    Hi DS-Guy,
    Tanktop TV is a great service, but it is really more like a "Radio Times" for catch-up and on-demand. It doesn't actually stream television itself. But I still love the site.

As for the legality of catch-up content in the UK from 3rd party sources, I have no idea. I suspect however that section 73 of the Copyright Design and Patents Act 1988 refers only to the live (linear) feeds and not "recording" them and allowing people access to those recordings - at least in the UK.

So, can I ask what is wrong with say a Roku or Now TV box, which offers catch-up for all the main UK television networks? Were you having issues with this, or have you not tried it yet? The Now TV box costs only £10 with free delivery, so it is certainly worth a try, and you don't need to pay Sky any subscription fees.
    Hi ovbg so i read on here
    one of them is having problems with 4OD and while it's a good offer it's yet another device when i was hoping the android stb would have done at least the main 5 channels and of course the web browsing etc,etc which it's does! looks like i may have to get one unless there is a work around that works with my stb :) cheers