Options

Why Do People Keep Surnames That Others Will Laugh At?

StykerStyker Posts: 49,863
Forum Member
Over the years, I have come across a number of surnames that I'm amazed people keep as they almost certainly will get laughed at a lot about them and I wonder why people keep such names and don't change them. The same goes for people who accept a change in their surname as a result of marriage that will get the same reaction.

I was going to list the name that I remember the most, but even though I'm asking the question, I don't wanna hurt anyone's feelings if they happen to have this surname themselves so I won't mention it but I'm still interested in the answer(s) to my question.

If its because they don't want to end the family name, you gotta ask, don't the rest of the family feel the same and how did such names get started in the first place?

Comments

• Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    There's a journalist called Alice Smellie.

A. SMELLIE!!

I'd rather be known as 'Oi, you' than that!
  • Options
    pope_tartpope_tart Posts: 3,801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    a friend of mine has the same name as a particularly naff singer....I won't say his name but the effect is not unlike being called Cliff Richard all your life.:(

I asked why he doesn't change it and he said it's a great conversation opener and it's much easier to make friends because of it as the relationship always starts off with some self deprecating humour which other people seem to like :)

besides which, being constantly teased about something can be character building...I know this because my dad used to take me to school in a Robin Reliant :(....I could never be too up my own a*se after that :D
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    pope_tart wrote: »
    a friend of mine has the same name as a particularly naff singer....I won't say his name but the effect is not unlike being called Cliff Richard all your life.:(

So there's another Rick Astley out there...
  • Options
    pope_tartpope_tart Posts: 3,801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CLL Dodge wrote: »
    So there's another Rick Astley out there...

:D worse...much worse....but i'm not blabbing :p
  • Options
    fastzombiefastzombie Posts: 10,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My surnames pretty embarrassing. At times in my life I've been tempted to change it but then think why bother. The type of person who'se going to use it to have fun at my expense is the type of person I wouldn't piss on if they were on fire anyway. Who cares what they think.
  • Options
    Seamus SweeneySeamus Sweeney Posts: 3,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's a journalist called Alice Smellie.

A. SMELLIE!!

I'd rather be known as 'Oi, you' than that!

I had a letter from my council once - with the name/signature Sonia Smellie.

It's not funny...yet it is. Puerile things are typically funnier than anything created by a script writer 'trying' to be funny.
  • Options
    Anya DAnya D Posts: 14,905
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I went to school with someone whose last name was (and still is for that matter) "Whalebelly".

Worked with a woman who married a man whose last name is "Raper".
  • Options
    VulpesVulpes Posts: 1,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suspect they have more pressing concerns in life.
  • Options
    chris1978chris1978 Posts: 1,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to work with a lady who's surname was Sewell, her initial was R ie R.Sewell. Also when j was working in a shop we served someone called Mrs Wanklin.
  • Options
    coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member
    It's not just names which have always been a bit ":o" but the perception of some names will have suddenly changed due to certain events.

There must be quite a few people with the name "Jimmy Savile", and I'd be surprised if no parents had decided to call their daughter "Isis".
  • Options
    hmeisterhmeister Posts: 2,371
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At my old job one of my colleagues had a customer with the surname 'Bolak' pronounced as 'Bollock'.

When he said his name I burst out laughing and couldn't stay in the area until he left.
  • Options
    Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    I went to college with an Chris Peacock. He had a brother called Andrew.

I have also worked with a Scott Scott and a Wanda Why.
  • Options
    UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the course of my job I once encountered a guy whose surname was Mycock but pronounced "meeko". Also a couple of people called De'Ath.
  • Options
    linmiclinmic Posts: 13,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I went to school with a lad called Tom Dick. Maybe his dad was called Harry.
  • Options
    cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    I once worked in a call centre and spoke to an Eleanor Rigby, Not embarrassing but interesting i thought

Also a Mr Bastard, Which can't be too much fun
  • Options
    JT2060JT2060 Posts: 5,370
    Forum Member
    I had a boss once whose name was Whorewell. She was forever telling people 'It's pronounced Worrell'.

I had a girlfriend whose surname was Woof. I won't say her first name to protect her, but it was bloody awful too.
  • Options
    linmiclinmic Posts: 13,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My Nana's insurance man way back in the 60's was called Doug Graves. Unfortunate.

Ive just remembered that and it made me smile all over again. :)
  • Options
    HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My kids had a teacher called Miss Pollock. Come on. Change your name already. You're teaching a load of adolescents. That name is asking for trouble.

I never get why women change their surnames when they get married, in this day and age. Especially if they exchange an interesting or even brilliant surname for a mundane one. I have a fantastic surname even if I say it myself - my niece married and actually took the man's really boring, everyday surname. I think it's mad.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hogzilla wrote: »
    My kids had a teacher called Miss Pollock. Come on. Change your name already. You're teaching a load of adolescents. That name is asking for trouble.

I had a teacher called Miss Pollock too! :o
  • Options
    coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member
    JT2060 wrote: »
    I had a boss once whose name was Whorewell. She was forever telling people 'It's pronounced Worrell'.

I had a girlfriend whose surname was Woof. I won't say her first name to protect her, but it was bloody awful too.

Please tell me it was Ruth, and you knew someone who couldn't pronounce "R" or "th" so they called her Woof Woof! :D
  • Options
    JT2060JT2060 Posts: 5,370
    Forum Member
    Please tell me it was Ruth, and you knew someone who couldn't pronounce "R" or "th" so they called her Woof Woof! :D

No, far worse than that.
  • Options
    HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vulpes wrote: »
    I had a teacher called Miss Pollock too! :o

Maybe they're multiplying? (She was a maths teacher).:cool:
  • Options
    kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I once worked with an American girl called Rachel Wank. My brother went to school with someone called Krystal Glasson.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hogzilla wrote: »
    Maybe they're multiplying? (She was a maths teacher).:cool:

Berkshire area?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    Here's a thought: Maybe they're not 9 years old and don't give a toss whether people laugh at them or not?