European referendum ? of coarse not!

crystalladcrystallad Posts: 3,744
Forum Member
✭✭✭
With Dave C telling us he is a democrat why doesn't he give us the European referendum!
Politicians are slippery snakes and they wonder why we don't trust them!

Comments

• Gordie1Gordie1 Posts: 6,993
    Forum Member
    Sounds rough
  • Mark39LondonMark39London Posts: 3,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    crystallad wrote: »
    With Dave C telling us he is a democrat why doesn't he give us the European referendum!

Like the one he has promised in 2017?
  • crystalladcrystallad Posts: 3,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's a bribe! Why not sooner!
  • paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member

Because there is no way his coalition partners would let him - hence the referendum after the election. Nor do I think he would get the requisite legislation through the House.

I seriously doubt you will get a referendum if Milliband & Co are in power after May 2015. Just as they did not give us one over Lisbon, and by the time the Conservatives were in a position to try and give us one, we had already ratified it - making any such referendum moot and a pointless waste of money.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well voting to stay with 'the big group' is all the UK can campaign on having made sure it was the message for Scotland.

No point isolating ourselves, cutting off ourselves from trade and risking it as a small nation in the modern globalised world.

Better Together for Europe. :cool:
  • Evo102Evo102 Posts: 13,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    WindWalker wrote: »
    Well voting to stay with 'the big group' is all the UK can campaign on having made sure it was the message for Scotland.

No point isolating ourselves, cutting off ourselves from trade and risking it as a small nation in the modern globalised world.

And you can guarantee that many of those in the No camp who applauded every time a banker, business chief or entrepreneurs warned of the dangers of going it alone will be the first to rubbish those same individuals when they warn about leaving the EU.
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,105
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Evo102 wrote: »
    And you can guarantee that many of those in the No camp who applauded every time a banker, business chief or entrepreneurs warned of the dangers of going it alone will be the first to rubbish those same individuals when they warn about leaving the EU.

Surely though the people who were in the NO camp in Scotland (the main party leaderships, Cameron, Milliband, Clegg, big business) will all be in the 'Stay In' camp for a Euro referendum........so they'll expect their chums in big business to issue dire warnings again

Why would they rubbish them ?..........they'll probably have the same effect and secure a win for 'Stay In'
  • MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    If we get an EU referendum expect lots morescare stories about catastrophic consequences from banks and big corporate business interests despite the fact that 180 nations manage to do just fine outside the EU.

Will be interesting to see how the tabloids play that one though!
  • Nick1966Nick1966 Posts: 15,742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    If we get an EU referendum expect lots more scare stories about catastrophic consequences from banks and big corporate business interests

Exactly. So expect the results of the EU referendum to be the same as this morning's referendum. Remain in the Union.
  • Cloudy2Cloudy2 Posts: 6,864
    Forum Member
    That's a bribe! Why not sooner!

Because the Tories don't have a majority, he can't get it through the House Of Commons the Lib Dems and Labour will vote not to have an EU referendum.
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    Gordie1 wrote: »
    Sounds rough
    Well I got it :D
  • davordavor Posts: 6,874
    Forum Member
    If we get an EU referendum expect lots morescare stories about catastrophic consequences from banks and big corporate business interests despite the fact that 180 nations manage to do just fine outside the EU.

Well, truth to be told, we can't compare say Norway who has never been a EU member, to the UK who is one of the founding members of the EU. That means, it's easy for Norway to manage to do just fine outside the EU, as the country has never been in the EU at the first place. On the other hand, UK has been a member of the union since 1973, and it's much harder for the UK to just leaves the union overnight after some 40 years, and manage to do just fine on its own. Once you accept the rules and laws of the EU, immigration, free market, military, politics etc, it's very hard to leave just like that. If UK ever decides to leave the EU, I think the process of leaving would last for years if not decades. We can be for or against the union, but once you are in, it's hard to leave it just like that. People who say it's easy are lying.
  • Camp FreddieCamp Freddie Posts: 1,534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nick1966 wrote: »
    Exactly. So expect the results of the EU referendum to be the same as this morning's referendum. Remain in the Union.
    Utter rubbish ! The result of the Union between Scotland, England, Wales and Northern Ireland saw it become a dominant force and world leader. Anyone who thinks being a member of the EU will deliver the same results is deluding themselves. In the words of good old Harry Hill, " There`s only one way to find out !"
  • bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I got it :D

Me too.:)
  • donovan5donovan5 Posts: 1,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scotland got the referendum because the SNP won a huge majority.
    If you want it you need an anti EU party to do the same
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It has already been mentioned.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/banksandfinance/11040484/EU-exit-could-force-Wall-Street-banks-to-desert-Britain.html
  • Mike_1101Mike_1101 Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    WindWalker wrote: »

This bankrupt and corrupt EU is not what I voted for in 1975 and I want a referendum in which we will vote to leave.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztLXtY-FO5E

We will have a trade deal, co-operate on the important stuff and take control of our borders back.
    Forum Member
    davor wrote: »
    Well, truth to be told, we can't compare say Norway who has never been a EU member, to the UK who is one of the founding members of the EU. That means, it's easy for Norway to manage to do just fine outside the EU, as the country has never been in the EU at the first place. On the other hand, UK has been a member of the union since 1973, and it's much harder for the UK to just leaves the union overnight after some 40 years, and manage to do just fine on its own. Once you accept the rules and laws of the EU, immigration, free market, military, politics etc, it's very hard to leave just like that. If UK ever decides to leave the EU, I think the process of leaving would last for years if not decades. We can be for or against the union, but once you are in, it's hard to leave it just like that. People who say it's easy are lying.

No, have a look at this.
    European Communities Act 1972
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Communities_Act_1972_%28UK%29
    "The repeal of this Act would leave European Union law unenforceable in the UK".
    What's hard about that

Enoch Powell explains it here.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Alld4Og2sTE
    He was quite right, we were tricked and cheated.
  • blue eyed guyblue eyed guy Posts: 2,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The tabloids will plug the political view that their owners have.
    Forum Member
    The tabloids will plug the political view that their owners have.

Can you see the Express, Mail and Sun telling their readers the EU is the greatest thing since sliced bread?

No, thought not.
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    we are already in a political union of countries
    why we have to be in another is?
    and this is why i'm voting UKIP from now on
    Forum Member
    jenzie wrote: »
    we are already in a political union of countries
    why we have to be in another is?
    and this is why i'm voting UKIP from now on

Me too and UKIP will be deciding their policies at their conference very soon.

In the meantime
    "What We Stand For"
    http://www.ukip.org/issues
  • David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    donovan5 wrote: »
    Scotland got the referendum because the SNP won a huge majority.
    If you want it you need an anti EU party to do the same

Nope. If you want it, the only way will be if you vote Conservative. No other party is offering an EU referendum.
  • David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mike_1101 wrote: »
    Me too and UKIP will be deciding their policies at their conference very soon.

In the meantime
    "What We Stand For"
    http://www.ukip.org/issues

Deciding their policies, or voting on their policies?
  • RaferRafer Posts: 14,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If we did get a referendum. I wouldn't want Cameron anywhere near it. If we did vote no and he negotiated the withdraw. Based on his pandering to the Scots he'd end up signing us up to more Europe not less.