Do voters still need a journey back story to get behind

DUNDEEBOYDUNDEEBOY Posts: 109,640
Forum Member
✭✭✭✭
Proved last year and you can always adjust the story throughout.

There seems to a huge amount of journey back stories being created again this year

Comments

• lulu glulu g Posts: 52,618
    Forum Member
    I don't think they ever did.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not in our house.
    It's fast forwarded every time, and only very occasionally rewound if the singing was interesting first. Can't be influenced then (not that I am)
  • Born lippyBorn lippy Posts: 2,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was really uncomfortable viewing when they tried to get Jake, on the spot, to think about his little brother while singing,, the implication being that his voice wasnt enough without the back story - what if he wasn't comfortable with this? they have no Shame
  • achroachro Posts: 3,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, Collabro won BGT with none.
  • qwerty_1234qwerty_1234 Posts: 950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    With X Factor, there needs to be something. This is almost half of ITV's prime time viewing, your average viewer needs to be invested in who they are watching and they cannot be without any sort of back story. Look at the finalists from the past few years:

Sam Bailey - prison officer, every woman turned "superstar" complete with "friendship" with Sharon and weightloss story.

Nicholas - he was "only sixteen", who could forget? Plus he had a large regional vote.

Luke Friend - abnormally not a massive story here. Appealed to the "real music" voters and was genuinely talented - got a pimping from the producers, multiple saves.

James Arthur - homeless.

Jahmene - Had the whole confidence issue nailed to a tee. Plus he was a wholesome Christian young boy. Could not have appealed more to the mothers day crowd if he tried.

Chris Maloney - was completely nailed by the show, but even in the early days he had his whole "nan" thing, as well as being a wildcard and gathered momentum almost immediately without much more help.

Little Mix - were thrown together, and at around about the same time they were given the whole Jesy confidence issue's and they soared in the voting to the winners.

Marcus Collins - Can't actually remember here actually. What was his deal? I despised him, all I remember was that he was a Liverpudlian hairdresser. I'm guessing they went with an everyman story again?!

Amelia Lily - another anomaly as in that this probably wasn't ever planned for her to be in the finals - but she came in part way through, was a decent singer and did okay out of it.

It seems the same this year - the ones with the big stories, typical of finalists so far are Paul, JJ, Lola and Ben - add in this rumoured boyband who must have a wealth of backstories between them and I predict there is what may be our final acts this year.
  • Patti-AnnPatti-Ann Posts: 22,747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joe and Olly didn't have any kind of sob story, and people voted for them?
  • EvilredzebraEvilredzebra Posts: 16,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A million per cent no from me. Rather than a VT about the contestant's nan, rubbish job, single parent status, doing it for their kids/goldfish etc. I'd rathe see something about their love of singing and performing and what they've done in their past to get them to this stage.

I wonder what would happen if a contestant said they weren't prepared to talk about personal things to make up a back story. Would a good singer get axed? I think I've just answered my own question!
  • MrsWatermelonMrsWatermelon Posts: 3,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only person I ever voted for was Leona, and she didn't have one.
  • mariannermarianner Posts: 11,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why not let their lifestory unfold on the live shows. Through song choices, themes and such the story comes naturally and you begin to get to know them as artists.

Thats how I would like to see it.
  • Julie_EvansJulie_Evans Posts: 2,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marianner wrote: »
    Why not let their lifestory unfold on the live shows. Through song choices, themes and such the story comes naturally and you begin to get to know them as artists.

Thats how I would like to see it.

It'll never happen, Simon would never allow it. Now he's back, it'll be worse than ever - he loves the headlines that the sob stories generate.
  • Julie_EvansJulie_Evans Posts: 2,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Born lippy wrote: »
    I thought it was really uncomfortable viewing when they tried to get Jake, on the spot, to think about his little brother while singing,, the implication being that his voice wasnt enough without the back story - what if he wasn't comfortable with this? they have no Shame

I agree, that was particularly distasteful - just shows how far Jake was prepared to go though, his dead brother:o :o