Advice on selling an old PC?

I need some help! (That sounded wrong...)

I've finally decided I need to get rid of my old Packard Bell Club 77 PC which I bought in 2000 and has been sat doing pretty nothing for the past year. It's got a 500mhz processor, 10gb hard drive with a DVD-ROM and Word installed. I want rid of the whole lot: tower, monitor, keyboard, mouse etc. It's in pretty good condition and the way I see it would make a great PC for a kid to do their school work on. Do people buy old PCs and if so how much do you think I should be charging if I stick in advert in my local paper or ebay?

Cheers :)

Comments

• neo6776neo6776 Posts: 9,533
    Forum Member
    To be honest that spec, about £50 tops.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I may as well throw my set up in the dustbin then! I have a similar thing, but no monitor (I already GAVE that away!) Mine has XP Pro on it though, and it's a 800mhz processor. I was thinking of outing mine too, it cost me £150 second hand about 18 months ago, and I doubt it's been used for more than 10 hours since I had it. I may as well just leave it under the bed incase my laptop packs up.
  • mdmamdma Posts: 20,756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    if you have a network, why not put a bigger harddrive in and use it as a file server? you dont even need monitor etc (as you can access it via r.desktop from another pc) so you can hide away some where (sensible!)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 265
    Forum Member
    neo6776 wrote:
    To be honest that spec, about £50 tops.
    Thanks, I'd gladly pay someone to get rid of it so if I can get £50 for it I'd be very happy!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd had a bit of success breaking an old machine up for spares and selling on Ebay; the motherboard in particular.